Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smartphone using Wifi or phone's internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Smartphone using Wifi or phone's internet Reply with quote

I know this is a silly question......

Recently I FINALLY got my first smartphone.

I use the internet from my service provider that comes with the phone. I have never connected to a Wifi network with my smartphone.

What would be the point/benefit to connecting to a Wifi network in a public place rather than using the regular internet from my service provider with my smartphone?

Thanks in advance!
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what kind of plan you have with your provider. If you have a 4G/LTE unlimited package, then using wifi isn't going to be of much worth to you. If, however, you have a data cap (1Gb in my case), then the wifi might help you especially if you do lots of downloading and/or online streaming. I've been using my current phone/contract for over two yrs, and I've only got the warning that I was reaching my limit maybe three times, but I do have wifi at home that i use a lot.

So, long story, short. If you're only on a 3G plan, the wifi will be much faster. If you have a ltd plan, the wifi's free.

Don't know how current this info is, but might help you a bit...

http://blog.thearrivalstore.com/life-in-korea/info-on-cell-phones-plans-providers-south-korea/
Deja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiFi in Korea is often faster than LTE, unless the particular wifi is reeeally crowded.
On the only LTE plan we have at the company, the phone (S4 LTE) gets 25/25Mbps. WiFi in many places gets over 50/50 on my phone.
In either case, it's more speed than a phone can really care about, unless you're actually downloading a big file to the phone, for some strange reason.

Even then, the bigger advantage is that WiFi uses the battery less than the 3G/4G. And quite a bit less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: