Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australian republicanism a thing of the past?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
I've always found Australians to be very similar to Americans. More so than even Canadians.

They are nothing like Americans. Nowhere near.

The most similar nationality to Australians are white South Africans who speak English.

And funnily enough, the nearest nationality in regards characteristics to Texans are Afrikaners, sports obsessed, religious nutjobs with skewiff ideas on race and gender issues - yup - two peas from the same pod.
radcon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Australian flag: an image of a dingo eating a baby.
augustine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
And funnily enough, the nearest nationality in regards characteristics to Texans are Afrikaners, sports obsessed, religious nutjobs with skewiff ideas on race and gender issues - yup - two peas from the same pod.

That's also funny to me, because I'm from Texas and I don't know anyone like that. Don't think that I ever have, either, really. I know Texas always gets that ole' kicker, but last time I checked, four of the top twelve most populated cities in the US are in Texas. Half of the people who now live in Texas have probably arrived within in the last 20-30 years, millions of transplants. Don't think that's happening in SA. The accent gets socialized out young in big cities as well, none of my friends speak with a southern accent, and nor do I. Which is mystifying to the present crowd of mentally unoccupied Canadians I'm currently surrounded by. Your comparison is poor. If other misinformed non-Americans are going to keep using this type of qualifier, I suggest you choose Arizona or Florida next time, most of the southeast is still good for that. The group of people you're using as your comparison live in towns that I probably haven't even heard of, and that's been my home from age five to present.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
robbie_davies wrote:

That's also funny to me, because I'm from Texas and I don't know anyone like that. Don't think that I ever have, either, really. I know Texas always gets that ole' kicker, but last time I checked, four of the top twelve most populated cities in the US are in Texas. Half of the people who now live in Texas have probably arrived within in the last 20-30 years, millions of transplants. Don't think that's happening in SA. The accent gets socialized out young in big cities as well, none of my friends speak with a southern accent, and nor do I. Which is mystifying to the present crowd of mentally unoccupied Canadians I'm currently surrounded by. Your comparison is poor. If other misinformed non-Americans are going to keep using this type of qualifier, I suggest you choose Arizona or Florida next time, most of the southeast is still good for that. The group of people you're using as your comparison live in towns that I probably haven't even heard of, and that's been my home from age five to present.

The main point being made is that Texans are nothing like Australians - and the Texans I have met are very similar to Afrikaners.
augustine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to summarize: Australians aren't like Americans, Australians are like white South Africans; but white South Africans are also like Texans.

If your experience has led you to this conclusion, it may be time to get some more experience before diagnosing what other people are like.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
So, to summarize: Australians aren't like Americans, Australians are like white South Africans; but white South Africans are also like Texans.

God, you are thick.

You know English speaking white South Africans and Afrikaners are quite different?

Quote:
If your experience has led you to this conclusion, it may be time to get some more experience before diagnosing what other people are like.

It may be time to fork out for some comprehension lessons in English.
candy bar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
augustine wrote:
robbie_davies wrote:

The main point being made is that Texans are nothing like Australians - and the Texans I have met are very similar to Afrikaners.

You back trolling again, ae? Saying things and claiming that's not what you meant, again, ae?
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:

I'm With You wrote:
I've always found Australians to be very similar to Americans. More so than even Canadians.

They are nothing like Americans. Nowhere near.

And it makes sense that Australians are similar to Americans in that their government is so close to the United States and that their constitution binds them to U.S. foreign policy. Australia is more American than they even realize.

I found the resemblance striking during the 5 years I spent living in Melbourne and Sydney.

Australia is very American-ized.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:

And it makes sense that Australians are similar to Americans in that their government is so close to the United States and that their constitution binds them to U.S. foreign policy. Australia is more American than they even realize.

You are confusing political alliances with cultural similarities, the UK has close political ties with the United States and share the same foreign policy. The people however are very different.

Quote:
I found the resemblance striking during the 5 years I spent living in Melbourne and Sydney.

You found Melbourne similar to an American city? You must have been half asleep. Sydney is just an international hub with the Western Suburbs being different from the East.

Quote:

You are wrong.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia and USA

Language: both speak English but Americans tell Aussies how to speak properly
Cars: Both drive GM, Ford, Japanese and Korean cars. Drive on different side of the road. Both love SUV and think Asians can't drive.
Sports: totally unlike except for horse racing
TV: Australia's saner, Channel 9 is similar to American TV
Military: Australia uses American tanks, jet-fighters, some ammunition, communications equipments. Other than those, rest are pretty much NATO standard.

More later:
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
I'm With You wrote:

You are confusing political alliances with cultural similarities, the UK has close political ties with the United States and share the same foreign policy. The people however are very different.

Quote:

You found Melbourne similar to an American city? You must have been half asleep. Sydney is just an international hub with the Western Suburbs being different from the East.

Quote:

You are wrong.

You are wrong.

Australia is American, by default.

They are constitutionally and culturally America's right hand man.

Again, I've spent a lot of time in Australia and was quite intrigued by this. Yet your typical Australian doesn't seem to even realize this.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:

You are wrong.

No I am not.

Quote:

You said Melbourne was an 'American' city, therefore, your opinion on anything about Australia is wrong by default.

Quote:

Their constitution was written in 1901 and culturally, nothing like America.

Quote:
Again, I've spent a lot of time in Australia

I'll bet money you are lying.

Quote:
and was quite intrigued by this. Yet your typical Australian doesn't seem to even realize this.

They don't realise this because it is not true.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an 'Australia'?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:
What's an 'Australia'?

An Australia is a 'southern land'. Cool

Economy: although Australia does have FTA with USA, Australia is not dependant of USA for survival like China. Australia do tend to import CEOs from USA, especially for flagship companies.
Media: British media is featured very largely in Australia, and we get Americans stuffs if it is 'good.
Food: Australian food is mostly British food: toast with butter/margarine, meat pie/sausage rolls, tea is prefered over coffee, steak with gravy... And no we don't eat Kangaroo meat or emu meat. Aborigines do eat marsupials but the rest of the country don't. Laughing
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
I'm With You wrote:

You are wrong.

No I am not.

Quote:

You said Melbourne was an 'American' city, therefore, your opinion on anything about Australia is wrong by default.

Quote:

Their constitution was written in 1901 and culturally, nothing like America.

Quote:
Again, I've spent a lot of time in Australia

I'll bet money you are lying.

Quote:
and was quite intrigued by this. Yet your typical Australian doesn't seem to even realize this.

They don't realise this because it is not true.

Have you ever lived in Australia? And it is clear you have spent little to no time in the States. He's not totally off the mark. Australia has a lot in common with the USA. Its politics are more similar to the USA than Canada's. Tony Abbot would do well as a politician in a big chunk of the USA. I doubt he'd be very successful in Canada, except maybe in Alberta. Ditto with former PM John Howard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: