Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bloggers need your donation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrinklebump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Jules, if you give that nimrod $1500 I'm gonna shoot him on general principle."
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand all the hate directed at these guys. It's not for everybody but obviously it is for some people. There aren't enough fans of Kpop or Korean culture in general to support a TV channel or company in the USA, but there are more than enough to support a website. They saw a void in the market and filled it. I have issues with them because of some of the videos they made in the past (subtitles for the ajossis and ajummas that sell stuff on the subway was one of them). I hold their mean spirited videos against them but not the way they are asking for donations. They did it and it worked, that's good business. I have to say I don't get Kpop and I don't get them though, but whatever. I would dye my hair and run around Korea if somebody paid me for it.

I would sing songs to elemenary kids and let them laugh at my big nose if somebody paid me for it too.....

wait. oh yeah.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't really understand all the hate directed at these guys

You don't like them or K Pop either you just choose to articulate it in more moderate terms. Some people like to say things like 'it's not really my cup of tea' and others prefer to say things like 'it's a pile of crap', even though the sentiments are often the same. You could say that you don't understand why people are so rude about their preferences but the answer is fairly obviously that it's an anonymous internet board and they're not talking to the people involved directly.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't really understand all the hate directed at these guys

Because we can't understand the love for them.

I have found nothing redeeming about anything they're involved in. The word "vapid" comes to mind. It has an unnatural weeaboo stink to it. At least weeaboos are only semi-fake people. Some even qualify as semi-real. But this? Ugh.

And seriously- 100 Grand? For What? I can think of 100,000 better uses for that money. Why can't they just save up their own money and invest it themselves? They've been a this for years and have been getting perks. If they don't have that saved, then that suggests they aren't managing their money well, which means I don't feel comfortable in giving them dollar one.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They saw a void in the market and filled it.

Yes I think their perceived cynicism might wind some people up. People might think they're exploiting the fact that Koreans are desperate for foreigners to notice and like their culture and anyone non-Korean who dedicates an entire website to this will have a captive audience. People might think there could be no other possible motive for grown up Western people to want to make videos about K Pop.
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before my evening repast I shall bow my head and humbly ask the powers that be to ensure that I never, ever have to see or hear them again. Get a freaking job and save up like everyone else. Oh, thats right, they quit their jobs. Freeloaders, and annoying ones at that.
Gorf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna bump this thread just to say that I accidentally had them pop up in my YouTube recommended videos and curiosity made me open it. Couldn't get through more than 30 seconds of it. They seem to not understand the difference between being funny and trying to be funny.

Can't wait for them to eventually run out of money making their crappy K-Pop videos and leave Asia forever. They should instead document trying to get away with their 2-man fashion holocaust back in Canada, now THAT I would watch.
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also happened to have YouTube recommend this for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuajQLuW9Lk

Which was made about 5 years ago. It's amazing the transformation they've gone through since this one was made - they really seem to be earnest English teachers in this one, explaining hand gestures.

They are definitely not a "scam." They have an audience that is willing to pay something to support them. Many people have tried a similar revenue model before: The New York Times, Radiohead, PBS.

I'm not a fan of the videos either, but they are far from a scam.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAcTmOD0K2g
creeper1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks like they made it.

Budding entrepreneurs that they are.

By contributing to a thread like this I am indirectly promoting them. For that I am angry Evil or Very Mad

Side note. Their tatoos look awful
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh2ajLIqcRc
Hokie21

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus those two are obnoxious....I still haven't made it longer than 30 seconds in any of their videos.

Did someone actually say that guy isn't gay? Wonder when he'll get the memo......
optik404

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seethem all the time in hongdae. Their studio or whatever it is is in a prime location. Crazy how they got their fans to pay for it.
Savant

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
Jesus those two are obnoxious....I still haven't made it longer than 30 seconds in any of their videos.

Did someone actually say that guy isn't gay? Wonder when he'll get the memo......

Like not in this video Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PssAYDI2UTg&list=UULMtDePlMyiqv2XC_ByNEVQ
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

Like not in this video Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PssAYDI2UTg&list=UULMtDePlMyiqv2XC_ByNEVQ

lol

Pinky out Simon.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: