Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Staying in Bangkok for a month or so.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Staying in Bangkok for a month or so..... Reply with quote

In the near future I plan to stay in Bangkok for a month or so.

I just wonder about how much I should budget for a month in Bangkok?

I would likely stay at a guest house or a place that is clean and safe but certainly not 5 stars. I would eat mostly fast food and standard Thai inexpensive food.

Is it about the same as staying at a Goshiwon in Seoul and eating mostly kimbap/bebimbap? I'm guessing about the same but if anything a little bit cheaper.

Thanks in advance.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Staying in Bangkok for a month or so..... Reply with quote

itiswhatitis wrote:

I would likely stay at a guest house or a place that is clean and safe but certainly not 5 stars. I would eat mostly fast food and standard Thai inexpensive food.

Is it about the same as staying at a Goshiwon in Seoul and eating mostly kimbap/bebimbap? I'm guessing about the same but if anything a little bit cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

You should budget about $1000 for a room and food if you plan to eat western or "fast food" (KFC, McD, BK, etc).

Prices in BKK aren't that far off Seoul.

young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can keep the costs down to a $1000 U.S. if you stay at "The Atlanta" on Sukhamvit Soi 2 and avoid expensive restaurants. It's close to the Sky Train and there are garage cafe's along the Sky Train that are relatively cheap. Also you might occasionally eat at the Nana Hotel's Lunch Buffet which is pretty good and not too expensive. A night at "The Atlanta" runs $15 US. It has a nice pool and a pretty cheap well known restaurant that serves very authentic Thai food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. However the $15 dollar rooms are not air-con but use a high speed overhead fan which for this time of the year is more than effective in cooling. In the dead heat times of Bangkok, they're just barely effective enough.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temps in BKK right now are 37-43c (98-110F).

The rainy season won't start for another month or two.

Look for something cheap with A/C. You'll be glad you did.
There are lots of them out there.

He should be able to get a room with A/C and wifi for a month for about $500-600 (they are MUCH cheaper for longer stays).
SV guest house on Suk Soi 19 (behind the Westin) is 16k, has hot/cold water, wifi, fridge, 5 minutes to Robinson's and Terminal 21 and a family-mart and 7-11 across the street.

Street food is 25-40 baht per plate.
Food court food runs about 80-120/plate.
McD/KFC/BK is about 120-200 baht for a set meal.
Sit down restaurants run about 150-400/plate.

Drew345

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That area near Terminal 21 (Asoke and Sukumwit) is hard to beat for convenience. I didn't know a monthly room could be so reasonable in that area. Soi 17 would be a great location (I was on Soi 15 for 3 months). Hit the park down the road (next to emporium) for exercise, or there's a little mini-park right across the street from Soi 15. Have a cheap dinner at the food court on top of Terminal 21, then down to the grocery in the basement for tomorrow's lunch. Oh, I miss salad bars in grocery stores!
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

You're going to bang your troubles away?

Wont work, you'll just be lighter in the wallet later......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: