Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to buy a PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ave, L�cifer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy a PC Reply with quote

I've had my LG laptop for nearly 5 years and it's starting to act up, I've decided to replace it with a computer as I already have a monitor and will be staying in Korea for a while. To have a decent gaming computer I was thinking my budget should be around 600 000Won? I teach adults and asked my students if Yongsan was the best place to go and was advised to go to danawa.com, which has prebuilt computers, as well as selling individual parts, and free delivery. Anyone have any advice for me as for things to look out for, in terms of specs? I've heard many people get a small solid state drive for the OS and then a regular HDD for everything else.
dazzed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what the purpose of the PC will be. Also what size monitor you want. You can go to Yongsan and look at the area for pre-built systems. Most of those cheep systems will use cheapest mother boards like ECS mtx boards and on board systems like graphic cards.
Ave, L�cifer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the purpose would be to be able to handle modern games well, because my non-gaming needs are not intensive at all (I don't to video editing or anything like that). As mentioned I already have a monitor, so just looking for the actual PC. Haven't kept up with tech develoments for years and seem to be confused with the AMD/Intel state of things, # of cores, i3, i5, i7 differences etc. Also unsure on which graphics card to go for but it seems pretty simple to google the benchmarks for GFX cards. Any advice on what seems to be on mid-high level performance bang for bucks components at the moment?
singerdude

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my recommended build:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=526050201&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002673 Power supply -FSP is a decent brand for a good price.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=416954528&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002673 Case (great price) Zalman is a well known brand for cases and power supplies.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=238213630&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002673 Memory. G.Skill is one of the most popular brands of memory on Newegg.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=394674598&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002673 Samsung is a great for SSDs. I have 4 of them with zero problems.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=367441249&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002673 Motherboard. Got a recommendation on Tom's Hardware.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=440294335&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002673 Graphics card. The R9 270 is also recommended on Tom's.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=435478366&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002673 CPU. I would recommend the i5, but it is a little over 200k and this build is already over your budget. Better to put more money in the graphics card.

This build comes to around 740,000. If you have to come in at 600,000, then I would suggest getting an el cheapo case and power supply, and buy a 500gb hard drive instead of an SSD. That should save you 100k right there. Then your build will be around 640,000, which is just a little over your budget. But you would be getting a good build with the exception of the case and PS.

Building is relatively easy. There are videos on YouTube to help you. If not, I heard there are places in Yongsan that will build it for you for a modest fee.

Edit: I forgot the OS. If you're an honest man then that will add around 120,000 to your budget. Also, I went to Enuri.com to get those prices. If you click on the link without going through Enuri first, the prices may be higher.
Ave, L�cifer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the rec's, will keep checking and comparing.
RangerMcGreggor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ave, L�cifer wrote:
To be honest, the purpose would be to be able to handle modern games well, because my non-gaming needs are not intensive at all (I don't to video editing or anything like that). As mentioned I already have a monitor, so just looking for the actual PC. Haven't kept up with tech develoments for years and seem to be confused with the AMD/Intel state of things, # of cores, i3, i5, i7 differences etc. Also unsure on which graphics card to go for but it seems pretty simple to google the benchmarks for GFX cards. Any advice on what seems to be on mid-high level performance bang for bucks components at the moment?

You need atleast an I5. Anymore would be overkill and any less would cause bottlenecks.

You should also maybe think going into Radeon and AMD stuff if you're looking for "bang for bucks." They are perfectly fine for modern gaming and generally a bit less price. I made one using AMD and Radeon graphics card and it cost about 600,000 won for a pretty powerful machine.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can save a little money by getting an R7 265. I have one and it's great. Basically able to handle anything EXCEPT ultra anti aliasing.

Also, OP needs to define what he means by "modern games". One option is to get an i5 or i7 and just wait until your budget can handle an actual graphics card. I used the integrated graphics on my i5 and it was fine for things like Civilization 5, Diablo III etc. Those are modern games. Honestly, my I love my new graphics card, but except for a play-through of Call of Duty Ghosts it hasn't gotten a ton of use at all. That will change after Watch Dogs though Smile
Ditch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only been there once myself, as my residence is in another part of Korea, but there's a huge computer market place in Seoul called near Yongsan Station. You can have anything custom built within hours there. Be ready to bargain too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: