Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To the Guy in Bucheon Wearing a Suit on Your Way to Hagwon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chellovek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
maitaidads wrote:
byrddogs, if you derail a thread in the midst of slamming Dodge7, the least you could do is give sartorial advice or tell us how you dress.

I'm wearing Nike sweat pants and an Adidas long sleeved shirt with Adidas slippers right now. They are matching colors if that matters. Is that bad? I hope this has satiated your need to know how I dress.

G forbid I go out dressed like this according to some in this thread.

I only wear Nike dry fit. I have at least 40-50 of those shirts (OCD) and I wear the "Fly" shorts, love them. I have so many that I've been warned by the wife not to buy any more because it'll be the end of my marriage. I blame my parents because when I was a teenager, they were struggling with money for a few years and I didn't have many clothes. So over the last ten years I've spent an inordinate amount of money on clothes. It's gotten to the point where I have given away everything older than 3 years and still have too many to count. I wish I could stop, but it's hard to resist the temptation. Shopping expensive brands is a very bad habit and hard to break once you get started.

I can echo this sentiment. But I don't blame my parents. They did the best they could and provided me with food and a place to live so I was happy and content. I haven't got that many shirts but i love buying watches and shoes. Oh and I wear dress shirts, polos, and even shirts to work. Please dodge I mean Speck, in your infinite wisdom give us more intelligent things to absorb. lol

Why watches? (honest question)
guavashake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chellovek wrote:

I have watched a couple of guys who were convinced they were connoisseurs of fine chronographs.

One of them listed a couple of hobbies in his CV, and one hobby was collecting watches.

He had five mediocre watches, common brands like Kenneth Cole, not one was above average, and one was a Swatch.
chellovek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guavashake wrote:
chellovek wrote:

I have watched a couple of guys who were convinced they were connoisseurs of fine chronographs.

One of them listed a couple of hobbies in his CV, and one hobby was collecting watches.He had five mediocre watches, and one was a Swatch.

See that's interesting, a person who says his hobby is collecting watches.

Also that you've seen a coupe of guys who fancy themselves as people who like a good watch.

I've never met a person who openly admits to it, what was your impression?
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why watches?
Quote:

I don't buy like super expensive watches. But i just love watches. The different styles, the colors, the types, everything. I like fossil, ck, etc. Im not a big balla who can afford rolex and such but I've had opportunities to see their designs and its simiar to the watches that i like from cheaper options lol. To me a watch can be the difference between a decent outfit and a good outfit.
guavashake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chellovek wrote:
guavashake wrote:
chellovek wrote:

One of them listed a couple of hobbies in his CV, and one hobby was collecting watches.He had five mediocre watches, and one was a Swatch.

See that's interesting, a person who says his hobby is collecting watches.

Also that you've seen a coupe of guys who fancy themselves as people who like a good watch.

I've never met a person who openly admits to it, what was your impression?

If you are truly into collecting, one usually realizes the quality of an item, and the concept that an item of quality is a commodity that will appreciate in value.
I don't collect watches, but I bought a Dive Rite solid titanium digital dive watch/dive computer that is no longer made, I bought it on eBay.

I was the only one to make a bid and the starting bid was minimal, so the result is that is was almost free.
I decided not to use it and keep it in the box it came in. I could sell it for many X the price I paid.

If someone self promotes as a timepiece aficionado, but the obvious reality is not even close, its funny. I'm talking multiple varieties of funny, like haha funny and strange funny.
If someone is a genuine collector, that's fine with me. I have one, if they wanna collect a few, that's fine.

In my case, I don't like analog watches. For one thing, the little adjustment knob is not ergonomic. So tiny and tedious, it doesn't work for me, even on a more robust analog dive watch.
nate1983

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I would wear a suit and tie to a hagwon (Berlitz) two days a week since I had Korean lessons there before work. Why do you assume he works there?
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews_world wrote:
Just let people be.

Exactly.

This is what I don't like about hakwons jamed with 20 yr old north americans. The sheer animosity they come out with is worse than anything you will get off koreans.
There's usually one "king waeguk" who thinks he/she has the right to dictate what all the other foreigners must do.

Speck7 wrote:
Please stop, you're embarrassing us.

Live and let live. Why do you care so much how another person dresses?
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:

Exactly.

This is what I don't like about hakwons jamed with 20 yr old north americans. The sheer animosity they come out with is worse than anything you will get off koreans.
There's usually one "king waeguk" who thinks he/she has the right to dictate what all the other foreigners must do.

That crap was happening in Saudi Arabia at KSU except they were all blokes nearing middle age - sad, but an insight into American behaviour abroad. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: