Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to find fighting gear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Where to find fighting gear? Reply with quote

Where can you find fighting gear? Mouthgaurds, gloves, groin protectors, and a bunch of other stuff I'm not thinking of? Any issue with Korean made stuff? Sizing, quality. etc? Martial arts, boxing, MMA, etc? A good store in Seoul to go to or a good website to order from?
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be a bunch of stores outside of Dongdaemun history and culture park exit 12, they may have since moved, havent been there in a while.

I also know of another store that sells a ton of boxing equipment near HanSung uni that would sell the stuff that you are looking for. PM if you need directions there.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your size. The kickboxing gym I workout at has all of those things for size small, medium, and large. But whatever your size Id go one larger. I am 5'10'' 180lbs and was told large shin guards would easily fit me, but they were too small.

Also I use the stuff made by the thai companies for muay thai and also century is the best to find martial arts gear. I believe the website is century.com. Id be wary of any gear made in korea lol.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
Id be wary of any gear made in korea lol.

Korean gear such as Sindo, Garmy, and YooYang are legit and as good as non-Korean brands such as Everlast and Twins. My gripe with Korean stuff is that it's generally a bit more expensive than foreign brands of the same level of quality.

If you can read Korean, check out ringside.co.kr or talk to people at your gym.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always gone through my boxing club to get gear.
spaceman82

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isami near Dongdae Station is pretty good: http://www.isami-seoul.com/. They apparently also have a store near Yaksu, but I've never been there.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
chrisinkorea2011 wrote:

Korean gear such as Sindo, Garmy, and YooYang are legit and as good as non-Korean brands such as Everlast and Twins. My gripe with Korean stuff is that it's generally a bit more expensive than foreign brands of the same level of quality.

Sorry but id have to disagree with the quality of Korean brands. Not saying they are junk but definitely not on the same level as brands who have had more time and testing. At my gym we have the MMA sindo gloves as well as everlast, twins, and I have my own official ufc gloves and you can DEFINITELY feel the difference. The sindo gloves feel like they will fall apart if you hit too hard. Even the texture itself. But to each their own.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
fermentation wrote:
chrisinkorea2011 wrote:

Sorry but id have to disagree with the quality of Korean brands. Not saying they are junk but definitely not on the same level as brands who have had more time and testing. At my gym we have the MMA sindo gloves as well as everlast, twins, and I have my own official ufc gloves and you can DEFINITELY feel the difference. The sindo gloves feel like they will fall apart if you hit too hard. Even the texture itself. But to each their own.

How did you buy your material? Online, in Korea, etc?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
It depends on your size. The kickboxing gym I workout at has all of those things for size small, medium, and large. But whatever your size Id go one larger. I am 5'10'' 180lbs and was told large shin guards would easily fit me, but they were too small.

Also I use the stuff made by the thai companies for muay thai and also century is the best to find martial arts gear. I believe the website is century.com. Id be wary of any gear made in korea lol.

You mean these sites?

http://www.centurymma.com/MMA-Training-Gear-_c_6.html

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/

They ship to Korea?

Ideally, I'd like to buy quality items in Korea that fit and don't fall apart. I really have no idea about good or bad products here.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
chrisinkorea2011 wrote:

You mean these sites?

http://www.centurymma.com/MMA-Training-Gear-_c_6.html

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/

They ship to Korea?

Ideally, I'd like to buy quality items in Korea that fit and don't fall apart. I really have no idea about good or bad products here.

As far as shipping to Korea goes, I personally have no idea about that but those same products are shipped to my gym owner's place. I dont know if he buys from a korean dealer but my friend just confirmed that they do indeed do international shipping. You just email your order to them of what you want and what country you are shipping to and they will email you back with all the shipping cost/taxe/etc.

Just be wary of that whole over 150.00 and get charged customs taxes BS.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that I bought my gloves, mouth guard, shin guards, groin guard, and hand wraps from my gym's owner. He had all the stuff already and it was priced pretty well. The only thing I bought myself was my UFC gloves which I got in the states a couple weeks ago when I visited.

Other than that everything is similar in price from that website compared to what my gym owner charged me.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
I forgot to add that I bought my gloves, mouth guard, shin guards, groin guard, and hand wraps from my gym's owner. He had all the stuff already and it was priced pretty well. The only thing I bought myself was my UFC gloves which I got in the states a couple weeks ago when I visited.

Other than that everything is similar in price from that website compared to what my gym owner charged me.

Thanks, yeah, I'd prefer to buy here if I can. I just worried about some weird Korean sizes or something.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
chrisinkorea2011 wrote:

Thanks, yeah, I'd prefer to buy here if I can. I just worried about some weird Korean sizes or something.

Yeah i feel you on that. I did another quick look around at all the stuff around my gym last night. We are a boxing, kickboxing, jiujutsu, mma gym so i thought I would take a look at the different brands. Twins, everlast, king, and some others. The best thing about the gloves are that they go by ounces and I think range from 8 - 18 (our gym gloves do).

good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: