Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public school housing - what is your housing situation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Public school housing - what is your housing situation? Reply with quote

What scenarios have people have encountered in housing for public school employment?

Does the school lease it? Own it? Is it the property of the local education office?

If you found yourself in an undesirable living situation, what could you do? What did you do?

Personal situation:
-fairly lavish, large, family size apartment
-35 minutes from school by walk, ~15min bike
-no useful public transport (one bus that doesn't go anywhere I need to go, and it goes there very infrequently)
-150,000 / month minimum building-utility bills, and that with all showering done out of the house, no heat or aircon, and extreme electricity economy (according to the bill, I used about 60-70% of the utilities of the previous teacher in the same period [who was himself quite frugal I've heard])

Basically I appreciate the generous apartment they provided me with, but even with my stuff as spread out as possible, there's still 2 rooms I don't use. The school and all amenities are in town, while the apartment is outside of town. I'm perfectly content living in a shoebox, and other teachers in the area living in one-rooms beside their schools are paying under 50,000won monthly inclusive of internet. The more bills I get the more it seems like I've been given the gift of a reduced salary and inconvenience Confused

Thoughts? If I have options to alter my accommodations, I'd love to hear about them.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much of that is the maintenance fee?

I am going to guess quite a bit of it.

Go through the maintenance part of the bill and check what you are paying for. Often if it is that high you are paying for parking space, internet, tv etc.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:

Go through the maintenance part of the bill and check what you are paying for. Often if it is that high you are paying for parking space, internet, tv etc.

Part of the maintenance fee will also be based on surface area of the apartment. The bigger the apartment, the more you pay. It wouldn't matter if you shut off the water, gas and electricity, you'd still be paying a hefty maintenance fee.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:

I don't know if I have a parking space, but I don't get internet, TV or anything. You're right though, the bulk of it is the communal / building fees. Cleaning and 'elevator' and fire insurance etc. are all pretty small, but admin and 경비 are both 27,000/month. And there's 14 of the smaller items, so they add up. The gas bill being fixed at 50,000 won seemingly independent of my minimal use / absence of heating I haven't been able to get an explanation for. Perhaps it's communal.

Troglodyte wrote:
Part of the maintenance fee will also be based on surface area of the apartment. The bigger the apartment, the more you pay.

I didn't know it was directly linked to surface area but I guess that should have been obvious.

You've have basically said what my co-teacher said when I chatted with him about it. "It's more expensive because it is a big apartment in a big apartment complex." I know! Razz Actually, I know for a fact it is the most expensive apartment complex in the city. It's almost exclusively fairly well-to-do professionals with young families.

I'm just starting to elucidate the details of the arrangement, but one person told me it isn't even the school's apartment; it's been the property of the local education office for ages, and they allocated it for the school's use (before I arrived the school handiman was living there for a few months after the previous teacher split early). So at this point, as I seem to understand it, the only party that has to contribute to my housing on an ongoing basis, is me. Somewhat substantially.

Has anyone had success changing their public school housing mid-contract? I'm trying to suss out my options (if any).

Maybe I could talk to the local education office to see if they have any other properties? Thus far my school / co-teachers seem to have a "You can't live in a different apartment because that is your apartment." attitude toward it. Is this the sort of thing I should chat with my GEPIK coordinator about or will they just tell me to **** off?
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
Has anyone had success changing their public school housing mid-contract? I'm trying to suss out my options (if any).

I knew someone who managed to do so, but he had an extremely good reason (it turned out his apartment was infested with black mold to an unacceptable degree, something that wasn't clear when the school first contracted the apartment). If you just want to change housing to save a little cash or convenience, it will be much harder for you to persuade the administration to go through the effort involved. But ultimately it's up to your school: so long as they're meeting the terms of the contract, they can handle it for the most part how they like, and if the school really isn't paying anything currently for the house, then getting them to start paying for a new one will likely be impossible.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could advertise for a roommate. Is there a university within reasonable distance from your place? If so you could probably find a student roommate.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
If you just want to change housing to save a little cash or convenience, it will be much harder for you to persuade the administration to go through the effort involved. But ultimately it's up to your school: so long as they're meeting the terms of the contract, they can handle it for the most part how they like, and if the school really isn't paying anything currently for the house, then getting them to start paying for a new one will likely be impossible.

*Sigh* Yeah...that's kind of what I figured. They've given me everything I'm entitled to, it's just arguably the worst apartment they could have chosen in the city given the 'commute' (every time it rains I have to walk 35 minutes to the school, not looking forward to the 장마 Sad ) and the fees (even if I don't heat or cool my apartment and continue showering at the gym I'm still paying $800-1000 more over the year than most other teachers in the area I've talked to, and they get internet included).

Anyway, if it ends up there's absolutely nothing I can do...such is life.

Troglodyte wrote:
Maybe you could advertise for a roommate. Is there a university within reasonable distance from your place? If so you could probably find a student roommate.

Actually, I had wondered about that since there is a university nearby. I don't think I would advertise, but I'll keep an ear out. I certainly have the space, and I'm not even at home much anyway.

Thanks for the input.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mostly been in GEPIK and EPIK. The school rented out an apartment for me and provided the furniture in the contract. I didn't have any worries. I only had to pay utilities.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, I had wondered about that since there is a university nearby. I don't think I would advertise, but I'll keep an ear out. I certainly have the space, and I'm not even at home much anyway.

Thanks for the input.

You cannot sublet an EPIK apt, even as an apt share. You'll get fired.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot sublet an EPIK apt, even as an apt share. You'll get fired.[/quote]

^^.This.This.
Xanetos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is EPIK or your school spending a lot of time in your apartments or something?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every place is different. Some local education offices will be friends with some old ajossi and force you to live in his run down apartment even if the contract allows you to ask to move once a year or take the rent subsidy. Most will provide a basic apartment with nothing fancy. Others will provide a large spacious place. Some will even provide a large modern apartment, but are far and few in between.

If you want to pay your own key money and take the rent subsidy, you can choose your own place. I've done that with a one room. Deposits are cheaper in the provinces than in Seoul. A modern place might require 10 million or more in Seoul whereas out here, I paid 3 million won for a modern place. Low energy bills, no mold issues (as modern means properly insulated). Happy until recently. Want more space. Lol. I can get a large 3 room or two room with an upstairs loft for a 10 mil deposit and might do that next year when this lease period is up. I'm guessing 30 to 50 million deposit in Seoul which kind of blows.

Anyways, ask your ed office about next year. They may not want to bother as many are too cheap to pay the key and won't often tty to get you anything great. Most of the places that agree to rent without a deposit are older crappier buildings that we often get stuck in. Ok for a year, I guess. But longer term, you prob want something nice.

Either that or find a good hakwon that will get you a nice place. Some good hakwons don't want their employees stressed over housing so will just get them a nice place to keep them from complaining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: