Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-7 visa; 5 years and residency?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years of continuous work, to my knowledge, means contracts that were fulfilled. It depends on the office you go to.

The days of ESL in Korea are changing. Why would anyone want an F2-99 visa is beyond me except for the idea of teaching privates or owning a business/school in Korea.

If I were to take the TOPIK I'd be eligible for the F2-99. In the meantime, I'm working the same hours in China now and making the same coin while saving more and not freezing my #%$# off!
littlelisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 continuous years of work means no break in working. You can have unfinished contracts as long as you got a letter of release and transferred visas. More than one employer is also okay.

"Why would anyone want an F2-99 except for this good reason, or that good reason, or a bunch of other good reasons I didn't think of? You guys don't make any sense!!"

Rolling Eyes

I'll let you guys know in two weeks if I got mine.
Welshguy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my F2-99 in February 2011, F5 in June 2011.

A friend of mine will go for his F2-99 in 3 weeks.

Will post the current requirements then.

The Korean language requirement is a definite. You require Level 2 on the TOPIK exam (한국어 능력 시험)
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you're going to be here forever, just marry a local girl. Makes sense if you're going to stay here. Ha ha. Much easier, isn't it (than going through this hassle)?
littlelisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my F2-99, so I guess my income was high enough. It's not double or triple the GNI (though it is higher than most hagwoners), but you don't need that unless you are going for the F5A. I think a lot of people have been getting information about different visas mixed up.

Anyway, happy to answer any questions.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Or if you're going to be here forever, just marry a local girl. Makes sense if you're going to stay here. Ha ha. Much easier, isn't it (than going through this hassle)?

Not all of us want to marry, and marriage could be (for some) way more of a hassle than just having been here 5 years.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:

In the five years you had the visas in Korea, did you at any point leave the country? For how long? How long is permissible?

I guess you answered the question earlier: the visa has to be continuous; no going home unless it is during vacation within your contract?
littlelisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
littlelisa wrote:

In the five years you had the visas in Korea, did you at any point leave the country? For how long? How long is permissible?

Yes, of course, many times. But always while still on a valid visa. Holidays and vacations are totally fine, but leaving after finishing a visa and applying for a new visa is not okay (by that I mean not transferring - transferring is what you need to do to keep it continuous), I think for any length of time.
miiooan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:
Yes, it is. E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-7, or any combination of those with 5 years continuous employment (no gaps).

You need:

1. application form, passport, ARC, photo, fee
2. a letter (I'm guessing translate it into Korean, that's what I will do) of why you want the F2-99
3. proof of being able to support yourself financially (You need two types)
- proof of savings: bank balance, key money, jeonse receipts, etc
- proof of income: income statement, tax payment certificate, pension forms, etc
(You need 30 million saved up and a good salary -- not sure exactly on the amount for the salary, but I think the main goal is to prove you can support yourself. I just remember that mine is okay).
4. Good conduct and basic knowledge
- Local police background check (clean record, obviously)
- TOPIK level 2 or higher, or passing the Korean integration course
5. Any other documents that they decide to request

I'll be applying for mine next week. This information is right from immigration from this summer. If you have any other questions, I might know the answer, because I hope I know all the things I need now. You can also (obviously) check with immigration.

Retouching on your points

1. Current application fee is 130,000 total
2. I wasn't asked for a letter. But I had one just in case.
3. Current income level for the F2-99 is at 28 million for the last tax year. Not too hard for anyone. This changes on a yearly basis. Call the Immigration hotline to double-check, number is 1345. (the 48-50mil is for the F5? not sure about that)
4. TOPIK is valid for 2 years, according to 1345 call center. I heard rumors that it was only valid for 3-6 months before expiring.
5. Housing contract. You MUST show your contract. If you have a key deposit, you can use that toward your 30mil

Source -- went yesterday to apply. Don't have 30mil currently (any lenders? I can pay good interest!).
Also, I rent a room- my roommate has the housing contract in his name. I'm doubly-screwed.
You need to get a letter from your bank showing your balance. Once this letter is issued, you can't withdraw money from the account for that day. The form is called 예금/신탁잔액증명서. The bank will charge you 2,000w for this paper.

The woman at immigration said that she thought there would be other changes soon. Really worried about getting up to 30mil before it changes again.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You guys are like people who win quiz show games or something~~ or like the itiderod in Alaska

I wanna like buy you guys a beer or something~~

Congrats!!
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:
Wow. You guys are like people who win quiz show games or something~~ or like the itiderod in Alaska

Congrats!!

What quiz show would that be?

'Congratulations - you have won a years residency in South Korea, and for our runner up, you have won two years residency in South Korea!'
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:

Congrats!!

What quiz show would that be?

'Congratulations - you have won a years residency in South Korea, and for our runner up, you have won two years residency in South Korea!'

Well, its a pretty exclusive club right? You can start your own hakwon or business now?

I mean at this point you can probably also chastise most visiting kyopos for not knowing Korean too. Haha
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the name of the gu office doc you need?
littlelisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gu office doc are you talking about? I didn't need anything from the gu office.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One in Suwon. To prove Chunsae you need to have a doc from the gu office. You have to either prove money in the bank or Chunsae. And need docs for both. Plus the minimum salary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: