Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EPIK-recruiter or apply directly?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: EPIK-recruiter or apply directly? Reply with quote

HI! I was just wondering if it were wiser to apply directly to EPIK or go through a recruiter....they said they process the ones who apply directly more quickly...but on the other hand, it seems like you could get more support/help by going through a recruiter. EPIK said they work with like 8 recruiters, I think? Is it ok to try several, or just go through one like Korvia? I've seen people on here saying to apply to as many as possible...how much is too much? (I'm also concerned I may not pass the EPIK stuff and need to look for another job--thus the advantage of a recruiter)....thanks for the help!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick one route for an EPIK application.

IF you go direct then do not use a recruiter.
If you use a recruiter then only use one (the exception to the recruiter rule).

If EPIK receives multiple application from different routes from a single applicant then they reject the applicant rather than get into a tussle over who gets the recruiting fees.

isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: EPIK-recruiter or apply directly? Reply with quote

poetryfoot wrote:
HI! I was just wondering if it were wiser to apply directly to EPIK or go through a recruiter....they said they process the ones who apply directly more quickly...but on the other hand, it seems like you could get more support/help by going through a recruiter. EPIK said they work with like 8 recruiters, I think? Is it ok to try several, or just go through one like Korvia? I've seen people on here saying to apply to as many as possible...how much is too much? (I'm also concerned I may not pass the EPIK stuff and need to look for another job--thus the advantage of a recruiter)....thanks for the help!

I recommend Korvia, myself. Other opinions might vary. Pretty sure there are other threads on this topic.
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help! Sorry about the multiple thread...I was trying to find the info, must have overlooked it. I am thinking about applying directly, perhaps, to get my foot (hopefully) in the door a little faster.
FabNatural

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leaning towards applying directly to EPIK as well for the exact same reason. EPIK seems to stress that those who go directly through them will get an interview much faster.

poetryfoot wrote:
Thanks for all the help! Sorry about the multiple thread...I was trying to find the info, must have overlooked it. I am thinking about applying directly, perhaps, to get my foot (hopefully) in the door a little faster.
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems like Korvia might be a good way to go. I think I am going to check out each of the 8 recruiter websites, compare, and then pray that I make a good decision. I might end up going through a recruiter because I don't think my credentials are as good as some other applicants. If I can apply quickly with the recruiter, maybe I can get a shot. At least they could help with the paperwork (if it doesn't look right).

FabNatural, you are applying to EPIK for the spring 2015 semester? I have been debating about how to apply..it's a tough decision. Where do you want to go in South Korea?

[quote="FabNatural"]I am leaning towards applying directly to EPIK as well for the exact same reason. EPIK seems to stress that those who go directly through them will get an interview much faster.

Quote:
FabNatural

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now leaning towards Korvia versus applying on my own. I will use them as long as there is no delay in submitting my application. Otherwise I will submit directly. Yes, Spring 2015 is my goal.

As far as locations go, I would like to try Seoul, though I have heard that it's hard to get there. I have also kicked around Daejeon (not too far from Seoul), Daegu, Incheon (not to far from Seoul), and Busan. Busan may be out of reach though because they require 50+ TEFL hours to be in-class. I only plan to do 20 TEFL hours in-class plus an 120 hour online TEFL certificate.

Where are you hoping to land?

poetryfoot wrote:
Well, it seems like Korvia might be a good way to go. I think I am going to check out each of the 8 recruiter websites, compare, and then pray that I make a good decision. I might end up going through a recruiter because I don't think my credentials are as good as some other applicants. If I can apply quickly with the recruiter, maybe I can get a shot. At least they could help with the paperwork (if it doesn't look right).

FabNatural, you are applying to EPIK for the spring 2015 semester? I have been debating about how to apply..it's a tough decision. Where do you want to go in South Korea?

poetryfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there was a blog post saying that Korvia seemed good, and you get a free cellphone, though I don't know how much that costs. I am going to check out the different websites this weekend and see what they say. It's almost overwhelming how much info there is and ways to go about applying, but then the competition to get accepted is a bit daunting also...but ya gotta try, right? I was hoping to go for Seoul, but that seems competitive. I guess I could try though. You should try for it if you want to go there. I guess my next hopes would be for someplace around Seoul like Inchon or one of the other cities, guess I need to research more on that. I don't think I will qualify for Busan because I just have an English BA and online TESOL with 150 hours (no in class component). I thought about going to get one through Oxford Seminars (since there is one around my state), but I don't know, people don't seem to recommend it. What type of TESOL are you getting?
FabNatural

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I definitely am going to try Seoul and see what happens. I might make the cut. If I do not get into Seoul, I am hoping I can get somewhere close.

I am not even going to try Busan since they want so many in-class TEFL hours. I am only doing 20 in-class and 120 online hours through i-to-i TEFL which is internationally accredited. Also, many people I have spoken to that have taught or currently teach in Korea took a TESOL/TEFL course with them.

poetryfoot wrote:
Well, there was a blog post saying that Korvia seemed good, and you get a free cellphone, though I don't know how much that costs. I am going to check out the different websites this weekend and see what they say. It's almost overwhelming how much info there is and ways to go about applying, but then the competition to get accepted is a bit daunting also...but ya gotta try, right? I was hoping to go for Seoul, but that seems competitive. I guess I could try though. You should try for it if you want to go there. I guess my next hopes would be for someplace around Seoul like Inchon or one of the other cities, guess I need to research more on that. I don't think I will qualify for Busan because I just have an English BA and online TESOL with 150 hours (no in class component). I thought about going to get one through Oxford Seminars (since there is one around my state), but I don't know, people don't seem to recommend it. What type of TESOL are you getting?
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's great! It is interesting to see what other people are doing to apply and what kind of TESOL course you are taking. Thanks for the info! I am still thinking of going through a recruiter (still not sure which one) and hopefully they can help me out. Good luck with your course and application, and hopefully you get accepted where you want to go! Fighting, right, as they say in the Korean dramas!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FabNatural wrote:
I am not even going to try Busan since they want so many in-class TEFL hours. I am only doing 20 in-class and 120 online hours through i-to-i TEFL which is internationally accredited.

Just so you are aware, they are not "accredited" by anybody legitimate nor are they particularly well thought of globally.

Their 20 +120 was designed for the Korean market specifically by adding the 20 hours "in class" (their old weekend course) as an add-on to their cheapo 120 hour on-line course.

It works for EPIK and will get you into China but will largely be discounted by "other markets" that actually want a "real" TEFL/TESOL course.

FabNatural

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPIK just announced yesterday that they will start taking applications for Spring 2015 on August 1st. I am checking with Korvia to see if there will be a delay in submitting my application if I apply through them. I am really tempted to apply directly to EPIK.

Yes, good luck to you as well.

poetryfoot wrote:
Ok, that's great! It is interesting to see what other people are doing to apply and what kind of TESOL course you are taking. Thanks for the info! I am still thinking of going through a recruiter (still not sure which one) and hopefully they can help me out. Good luck with your course and application, and hopefully you get accepted where you want to go! Fighting, right, as they say in the Korean dramas!
FabNatural

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Oxford Seminars? I just found a 40+ hour in class course offered with them in my area. I could take their in class course instead of flying all the way to NYC to take the one with i-to-i. It's at Eckard College for three weekends in September.

ttompatz wrote:
FabNatural wrote:
I am not even going to try Busan since they want so many in-class TEFL hours. I am only doing 20 in-class and 120 online hours through i-to-i TEFL which is internationally accredited.

Just so you are aware, they are not "accredited" by anybody legitimate nor are they particularly well thought of globally.

Their 20 +120 was designed for the Korean market specifically by adding the 20 hours "in class" (their old weekend course) as an add-on to their cheapo 120 hour on-line course.

It works for EPIK and will get you into China but will largely be discounted by "other markets" that actually want a "real" TEFL/TESOL course.

poetryfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FabNatural wrote:
EPIK just announced yesterday that they will start taking applications for Spring 2015 on August 1st. I am checking with Korvia to see if there will be a delay in submitting my application if I apply through them. I am really tempted to apply directly to EPIK.

Yes, good luck to you as well.

poetryfoot wrote:

Thanks! I might have to check with Korvia myself. I as also curious about Oxford Seminars. There is one 2 hours away from me and I can do it on the weekends when I am off work. It doesn't seem to be well-thought of on these boards, but I don't know if I have any other option to get that in-class component that seems to be important.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FabNatural wrote:
What about Oxford Seminars? I just found a 40+ hour in class course offered with them in my area. I could take their in class course instead of flying all the way to NYC to take the one with i-to-i. It's at Eckard College for three weekends in September.

ttompatz wrote:
FabNatural wrote:

Same caveats. They are NOT accredited by anybody. There is no oversight and no quality control/assurance.

That 40 hour course is still 60 hours short of the EPIK requirement.

Might as well take your course from the "Photoshop School of TEFL". Same value.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: