Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 questions EPIK program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: 3 questions EPIK program Reply with quote

Hi!
I am beginning to look at the process of applying for EPIK-Seoul (don't know if I qualify) and I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to help me out. I apologize if any of these questions have been already asked to death Smile I know you apply online with letters of recommendation, passport, etc, Then if you pass the interview you start submitting the documents that need an apostille...is it a good idea to start getting documents apostilled before you are accepted to have them ready (if you pass the interview) or should you wait until you know if you passed the interview? Also, has anyone entered the program a little older, or is everyone fresh out of college? Also, I just have an English B.A. (no teaching experience at all) and a TESOL certification from a cheap Groupon deal online (probably wouldn't count)...would I just qualify for lowest level pay (if accepted)? Thanks for any and all help, I have so many questions!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions EPIK program Reply with quote

poetryfoot wrote:
Hi!
I am beginning to look at the process of applying for EPIK-Seoul (don't know if I qualify) and I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to help me out. I apologize if any of these questions have been already asked to death Smile I know you apply online with letters of recommendation, passport, etc, Then if you pass the interview you start submitting the documents that need an apostille...is it a good idea to start getting documents apostilled before you are accepted to have them ready (if you pass the interview) or should you wait until you know if you passed the interview? Also, has anyone entered the program a little older, or is everyone fresh out of college? Also, I just have an English B.A. (no teaching experience at all) and a TESOL certification from a cheap Groupon deal online (probably wouldn't count)...would I just qualify for lowest level pay (if accepted)? Thanks for any and all help, I have so many questions!

Have your documents in hand since some of them can take MONTHS to acquire (FBI with apostille).

If you have everything in hand then you are good to apply for a job.

IF you wait to apply for your documents until you need them you probably won't make the cutoff dates for document submission and will lose your opportunity for a position.

IF your groupon deal included 20+ hours of IN CLASS instruction/practicum then you are good to go. If it was strictly on-line then EPIK and SEOUL won't happen. You'd likely be placed out in the provinces if accepted at all.

They are currently NOT accepting applications from the lowest pay grade/level. If you don't qualify for at least level 2 then you most likely won't get past the interview stage (if you even make it that far).
(add 20 hours of in-class TEFL time/practicum (weekend course) to your certificate and you should be good to go).

There are lots of us old folks in the system (public and private).
They are not all fresh, college grads (even though for private schools that is often the preference).
I am in my 50's (but admittedly, I am not looking at entry level EFL any more either).

wanderkind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions EPIK program Reply with quote

poetryfoot wrote:
a TESOL certification from a cheap Groupon deal online

A TESOL Groupon...I can't figure out if that's great or sad...
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 3 questions EPIK program Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all of the info!!! It's very helpful. I am going to get started on those documents right away. Also, I might qualify for a level 2 since I have a Bachelor's in English (I looked at the list again), but it seems like it would be a smart idea (and good practice) to get a TEFL course with in-class instruction. Do you know what people recommend for a course that qualifies? I live in Iowa and I attended an Oxford seminar course intro ....but never took it. Once again, thanks for all your help!
Quote:
Quote:
vim23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in regards to EPIK, if it's such a hard task being hired by them, why do alot of people have bad things to say about them, I feel like I've seen a quite a few threads on the program being pretty bad? Or have I got the completely wrong idea lol
Otherside

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vim23 wrote:
Just in regards to EPIK, if it's such a hard task being hired by them, why do alot of people have bad things to say about them, I feel like I've seen a quite a few threads on the program being pretty bad? Or have I got the completely wrong idea lol

It's a big programme, covering most of the country's public schools. (I'm not sure of the numbers anymore since the cutbacks, but there used to be 1000s of positions)

With such a large number of schools and positions, you're certain to get a number bad postings.

Most of the problems come down to the fact that while EPIK hires you, you don't really work for them, you work for your specific public school (or schools). Each one of those is run differently, and there is a pretty wide gap between the better ones and the worse ones. In the end, EPIK is a crapshoot, and depending what school you wind up in, will likely determine how you view the programme (and for many teachers, the quality of their experience).

Why do people put up with EPIK? Well, for many reasons, they'd rather work in a public school than a hagwon (which, IMO, is a far bigger crapshoot), and with ~80% of PS positions being affiliated with EPIK, it's one of your best PS options (ESPECIALLY if you are inexperienced teacher or out of country).
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting, especially about 80% of public school jobs being through EPIK...and how each teacher's opinion of EPIK is directly impacted by the school they are going to. Thanks for the info!
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important thing about epik is how well you get along with the other Korean teachers. Not just your ct's but the other teachers as well. So you have to tow the line on Korean culture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: