Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding leaving a school early.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halex001

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Question regarding leaving a school early. Reply with quote

I will be leaving my school about a month and a half early to start a new job. Both schools are aware of the situation and are ok with it. I was just wondering what steps I need to take to make sure this goes smoothly. What do I need to do about my VISA and I shouldn't have to submit another background check since I'm already here right?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Question regarding leaving a school early. Reply with quote

Halex001 wrote:
I will be leaving my school about a month and a half early to start a new job. Both schools are aware of the situation and are ok with it. I was just wondering what steps I need to take to make sure this goes smoothly. What do I need to do about my VISA and I shouldn't have to submit another background check since I'm already here right?

You need your LOR from the first job to transfer your visa to the 2nd job.

passport
ARC
LOR
new contract
new employer's business registration
new employer's guarantee (sponsorship form).
application for change of employer and extension of stay
fees (about 180k won).

SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. Your current school can screw you over pretty hard if they decide to not give you a release letter.

No release letter = need new documents + visa run OR wait until your visa runs out, ask new school to doctor the contract to make the starting date coincide with your original contract completion date.

With release letter you just need standard documents.

Visa forms from immigration (both forms)
New contract (copy and original)
Housing contract (copy)
Copy of new employers business licence/stamp
cash
Halex001

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks a lot guys.

I've been with my current school for 2 years and we have a really good relationship. The school is getting smaller and they were not planning on replacing me anyway, so it doesn't really make much of a difference. My current school is a kindergarten and my new school is an afternoon hagwon. Everyone is well aware of the situation and both schools are ok with me continuing to teach the kindergarten classes in the morning through the end of my contract in August. So I'm not worried about getting the LOR.

As far as the LOR goes though...is there a form to fill out with immigration or is this literally a letter that my boss or I has to write?
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.efl-law.com/letter_of_release.php

Be careful about working at both schools at the same time. That can screw you over royally at immigration if they find out unless you get it legalized.
Halex001

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I totally agree, but it will only be for a month and a half so I'm not too worried about it. Both school are really cool. Thanks for the help.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the second school put on your work permit now. When your contract with the first school finished, then the second school will become your primary employer.

If you finish the first contract (officially) then you won't need the LOR. It might help with some immigration officers if you show it but it shouldn't be necessary (unless you get a newbie officer or some guy who didn't have his coffee this morning).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: