Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Completing a 10 month contract, severance due?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Completing a 10 month contract, severance due? Reply with quote

My current contract was an agreed upon less than a year (about 10 and a half months) Both the school and I wanted the end of the semester as an end date. So I will be completing the contract but thought I needed at least a year to qualify for severance. Others disagree.
Any info. It's the first time I've had a contract that's for less than a year.

Thanks.
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Completing a 10 month contract, severance due? Reply with quote

Patong Dong wrote:
My current contract was an agreed upon less than a year (about 10 and a half months) Both the school and I wanted the end of the semester as an end date. So I will be completing the contract but thought I needed at least a year to qualify for severance. Others disagree.
Any info. It's the first time I've had a contract that's for less than a year.

Thanks.

Legally and by law you are due nothing.
Negotiation wise you can try.

Them is the breaks for signing a short contract. Should have negotiated that before you signed.
chaz47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once lost severance, even though I finished my contract, even though I took it to the local labor board, even though the previous employer was caught falsifying the previous contract (ridiculous, right?) because my contract was for 363 days not 365 days. The Busan Labor Board decided that even though the hagwon lied to them by presenting a false contract (I had my original, signed, stamped, etc.) the lying bastards didn't have to pay me what was in my contract due to the technical interpretation of Korean Labor Law that I wasn't employed for a *full* calendar year. The contract began on a Monday and ended on a Friday. Huge steaming pile of b.s. but that was what happened.
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sign less than a year, then make sure the salary is higher.
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it worked out that the school paid me severance for 10 months. The contract stated that when the contract is successfully completed you would receive severance. I sent a message inquiring about this point and they said "ok" and put the money in my account. It was kind of unexpected.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's in the contract then it's legally binding. This is just an example of a bonus though. In this case it's a bonus earned for completing a certain task (working for 10 months). If it were translated into Korean, they would not use the same term that they use for the regular "severance" payment (which is actually considered a type of retirement fund contribution).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: