Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealing with passive aggressive coworkers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chill.sung99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Stain wrote:
Sure, they are honest. But honesty is still an expression of opinion. And that opinion, in Korea, is fact. It's hilarious to see all the contradictions and the lecturing that follows when a plan fails.

Yeah but the question isn't "are management's decision-making skills state of the art?", the question is "are they passive aggressive?". Management are always incompetent!!

Here's a fun story from our office just for kicks. This would never take place in the USA of course, someone would get sued. But I found it so refreshing that people didn't tip-toe around incompetence. Director called worker-girl into his office...

Director - do you think you are qualified for this job?
Her - yes
Director - I disagree.
Her - shock
Director - let's make a list on the board of the job qualification, and your qualifications. First does your education fit the job?
Her - yes
Director - no it does not, here are the education requirements, your education is lacking. Second, does your experience fit the job?
Her - yes
Director - no it does not, here are the experience requirements, your experience is lacking. Do you still think you are qualified for this job?
Her - yes
Director - let's talk about it again tomorrow then.

She quit a couple days later. Wink

If she's so "lacking" then why'd they hire her in the first place?
She probably had a nice photo on her resume, so they overlooked a few things, then when she didn't drink enough at the party when the boss told her to, suddenly the qualifications became a problem.

True, that probably would not take place in the USA. Wink

After checking for a bachelor's degree, most if not all, foreign teachers in Korea will be hired or not hired based on the photo on the resume; otherwise, they wouldn't ask for a photo.

From my conversations w/ expats in Korea, I tend to agree that Koreans are cowards. they will rarely admit to doing anything wrong or being less competent than their job titles imply..it's all about saving face and reputation here.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with passive aggressive coworkers Reply with quote

sweetrevenge wrote:
Does anyone have to deal with passive aggressive coworkers at work? I just started working for this new school and not even on my 5th day here my boss shoves a whole bunch of "how to teach" manuals in my face. I really wish they would just tell me what the issue is so that I can fix it rather then having to guess what I'm doing wrong. The worst part about this whole thing is that nothing she gave me is helpful in any way.

If you teach poorly, then you will be blamed. If you teach well, then the teacher will take the credit.

The best thing is to ask others and try them out until you find what works for you. It is not easy and takes time. I think you can do it and be successful. Very Happy
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Actually I find Koreans to be extremely straight forward, not passive aggressive at all. People just tell you to your face, no games.

korean males spend their lives perfecting ways to self-sggrandize at the expense of others. Unhealthy narcissism is in epidemic proportions here. In a country where physical violence is outlawed most of them have multiple doctorates in one-upmanship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: