Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

classroom bullying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: classroom bullying Reply with quote

just wondering how people generally deal with classroom bullies - assuming the other teachers dont care.

Any experiences/success/fail stories?

Thanks
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always take it as a personal insult that anyone feels that they can do stuff like that in my class.

You work at a hagwon right?

That limits any advice that I could give.... Crying or Very sad
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cage fights! Two students enter, one student leaves.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: classroom bullying Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
just wondering how people generally deal with classroom bullies -

assuming the other teachers don't care.

Any experiences/success/fail stories?

Thanks

You asked...so here goes! (psychology)

In my school(classroom), I have a NO TOUCHING/MAKING FUN of others rule! Period. One warning, second time KICKED out of my class for the day! My boss lets me make my own classroom management style. The second offense (if behavior is repeated by the same student on another day)its permanent removal from my class. My class is really fun,so this a horrible punishment. I REFUSE to TEACH BULLIES,period.

I'm at a private school now, but when I worked for a public school, it was really bad when I first arrived in this country.

Bullying is a problem in America as well as Korea.
This is how I deal/dealt with it.

On the first day of class in America/Korea I made a speech about "only students who have a very bad family life,don't get any attention at home, come to school and bother other people to get attention and feel loved.. So, if you don't want everyone to know that your father is beating your mother, or that he is a mean drunk, and that you are a victim of an unhappy home, don't hit, slap, bully, bother , say mean things,or touch other students...because everyone will know!"
what a sad,weak, small,lonely punk you really are.

It worked like a charm in America and it has worked like a charm in Korea.
(I had something similar translated and posted in my room.)
The mere shock of reading the sign, stopped the would-be bullies in mid-punch. Students would start pointing to the sign and... that changed everything!

BY the way, you know Korean teachers/kids think its okay to touch,hit, and bother students,right? I see the Korean teachers hitting kids on the head,back, the knuckle in the face,every day.

Heck at my school they get 5 hits on the butt for each wrong answer on a homework or test. I hate to hear the sound of the hits in the hall. They have to bend over and hold their ankles. The younger kids get hit on the inside of the palms of the hands with the rod of correction. Korean teachers swear by it.

I've never understood how hitting someone for not knowing/understanding how to do a math problem increases comprehension in the brain.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing a victim wants is the teacher standing up for him.

That's the final embarrassment, a sign that you are completely helpless.

Many bully victims are among the worst students. Because they will turn on the teacher in a last effort to restore self-esteem and win points from their peers.

My general ploy is to let them sort out a pecking order among themselves. It is an entirely natural process and once they have done so they reach an equilibrium- peace- which means I get to teach without interruption.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bully those who bully other students. Never had one quit. In other words, bullying is tolerated here.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting replies.

Beenthere, Im not entirely sure Im convinced by your 'psychology' methods. I can see that people have different ways of dealing wit the issue, but I know for sure if Id tried that method back home in a classroom, id A/ get struck off as a teacher and B/ potentially do some jail time.
What you said is arguably quite abusive in itself. Thanks for your post and the suggestion, but I dont think shaming, belittling, humiliating a child into falling in line is something that I could use in order that I could manipulate them.

Im also sorry to hear that you have to witness physical abuse everyday. That is something i have never tolerated in the past and made enemies over. I agree its useless and a lackadaisical method of instilling order - the circle of power trips and bullying goes on and on...

Peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: