Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another background check question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpedMaestro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Another background check question? Reply with quote

So I have my FBI CBC with apostille ready to go and I'm interviewing for a few asap positions. The thing is...I'm British according to my passport.(I've lived in Florida since I was 3 years old. )

Does the CBC need to match the passport? I don't think I could even get a background check in England as I don't have an address there nor any family. I'm really hoping Korean immigration wont want both. Anyone with a similar background?
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you the one who killed a bunch of people in London when you were two years old, then they sent you to Florida?
Aine1979

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold an Irish passport but live in the UK (Northern Ireland), so my CBC was from the UK. Right at the last minute I was told my CBC needed to match my passport. I spoke to the Korean embassy in London who confirmed this. There was no possibility of getting an Irish CBC, so I had to get a British passport. Thankfully I'd held one previously, so I got it in 24 hours.

I have heard that people in the same situation as me had no problem with the passport not matching the country of CBC, but I don't know anyone personally. I didn't want to waste time submitting documents for them to be rejected, so I don't know if they would have been accepted, I went with what the embassy said.
SpedMaestro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
Are you the one who killed a bunch of people in London when you were two years old, then they sent you to Florida?

Yea, that was me. Laughing

The trouble is I actually think it's impossible for me to get a CBC in England. I don't have an English address, utility bill,etc...Surely, Korean immigration can understand that?
Aine1979

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was totally impossible for me to get one from Ireland, for exactly the same reasons. I explained everything to the Korean embassy, even explaining how people in Northern Ireland hold dual nationality, but they insisted the CBC had to be from the country the passport was issued from.

I can only give advice based on my particular experience, and as I said, I've heard that people haven't had this problem, or that there are ways around it, but I don't know of anyone personally.

Maybe the best thing to do is to contact the Korean embassy/consulate nearest to you and ask their advice. It does seem ridiculous that you would be expected to produce a CBC from a country you have never, or barely ever lived in, but it was the problem I faced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: