Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my race?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchude1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my race? Reply with quote

Hello guys. This is my first post ever on this website so please do not criticize me if I am repeating what someone else has posted a while ago. Anyways, for the last two months I have been Resume bombing this website's job postings. My recruiters have said that my Resume and photo looks good. But for whatever reason I have not even gotten an interview from any employer. Recently I have been reading about how African Americans (I am one myself) have faced significant difficulty in landing a teaching position. To be honest, I knew a little bit about the racial discrimination in Korea before, but didn't think it was this strong. I knew there were many black English teachers in Korea already, therefore I thought I would at least see some interest. So my questions are...1. Is race this big of an issue in South Korea in regards to getting a job? 2. Is EPIK a better option for me since (from what I hear) are more progressive and are willing to hire anyone regardless of race? 3. Are there any other options beside EPIK that would be viable for an African American to land a job? I really would love teaching in Korea. I have visited the country before and I wanted to prove my dad wrong about Koreans not being racist, but unfortunately he is being proven right. Any suggestions? Thank you!
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you on fb? there is an fb group for black expats, "bssk." Short answer, yes, your color makes getting the job more difficult. But if a school doesnt want to hire you b/c of your color, it's not a school you want to work for anyway.
http://facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752
metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know man, I doubt it's because you're African American as there are many South Africans working in Korea, so I just don't think that Koreans discriminate against Africans.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
I don't know man, I doubt it's because you're African American as there are many South Africans working in Korea, so I just don't think that Koreans discriminate against Africans.
I know you're trying to be funny, but wouldn't a white South African be a Euro African?

Anyway, cchude1, I would advise that you keep doing what you're doing and sooner or later you will get your opportunity. Once you get your foot in the door things will get a lot easier. The African Americans I knew and worked with in Korea were well liked by both their students and schools.
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the term African American. If I ever witness a terrorist attack perpetrated by an Arab, I will tell the police "I saw the perp, he was definitely African American" Well he did look Libyan or Egyyptian.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
I hate the term African American. If I ever witness a terrorist attack perpetrated by an Arab, I will tell the police "I saw the perp, he was definitely African American" Well he did look Libyan or Egyyptian.
So because you hate the term you would let the bad guys get away. Nice! If you want to get technical about it, Canadians and Mexicans are Americans too, as is every one in South America.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
radcon wrote:
So because you hate the term you would let the bad guys get away. Nice! If you want to get technical about it, Canadians and Mexicans are Americans too, as is every one in South America.

Americans, Canadians and Mexicans are mostly the decendents of homeless Europeans.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP Koreans are not so much racist as they are focused a lot more on doing what they believe is in their best financial interest. It's all about the money with them. It's a business, not a charity. They want to do everything they can to succeed and not go bankrupt. How you or your father wish to preceive that is up to you.
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
radcon wrote:

Maybe I already have. Or maybe I am a terrorist myself. Or maybe I sympathize with them. Muhahahaha.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP:

It is a combination of many factors.

Racism plays a part in it.
    Timing plays a big part in it.
    Economics plays a part in it.
    Your resume and paperwork play a big part in it.

Racism:
-The impression of Blacks (of all nationalities) is often made after watching young US army boys out on a Saturday night (boys, booze and testosterone) and seeing it sensationalized in the news on Sunday.
-They also get a strong hit from US movies and to a lessor extent, TV.
-Thirdly, they see the results of Black Africans and their behaviors in Korea.
- If you emulate the likes of Geoffrey Canada you have a better chance than if you emulate your favorite rapper.
-Racist or not, it is what it is. You have to live with that legacy and not just in Korea but all of Asia. You'll face the same hurdles in China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, etc.

Timing:
- It is almost the end of the 1st term.
- Recruitment for PS jobs usually takes place about 5-6 months before the start of each term
- - - March/April for Aug.
- - - Oct-Dec for March
and recruitment numbers are down:
- a combination of people not leaving and
- reduced numbers needed to fill a reducing number of spots (reduction in budgets).

- Hagwons hire year round but largely try to emulate the PS school cycle since a lot of their enrollments happen on that same cycle.

Economics:
- Budgets are down for PS jobs so fewer recruits are needed/wanted.
- The general public has been belt tightening so there are fewer kids in hagwons ergo - few teachers needed.
- Lower numbers also mean lower profits so hagwons (they are businesses not schools) attempt to maximize work loads and minimize costs (more work and few benefits for teachers).

Your resume:
-Check for errors. There is nothing worse than spelling and grammar errors and they usually get your resume tossed without much ado.
-Also check for colloquial language usage in your resume and cover letter.
-Finally, keep it simple. The nuances of fine resume writing are lost on non-native speakers. If they can't understand your nuances you just get tossed.

And for some parting suggestions:

To improve your chances of success, get some photos of you working with kids (in a fun way) and attach them to the end of your resume.
- formal classroom style
- on the playground
- at an event (4th of July community event).

They will go a long way to helping to sell your resume to a prospective school.

Don't just focus on Korea.
It's not just about the base salary.
2.1 million won + housing and airfare lets you save about $500-1000 month. The typical newbie who is focused can usually save about $10k/year.

On a package in China (air, housing, etc) + 9-10k RMB you can also save as much.

Salaries in Taiwan are comparable to those in Korea. The benefits aren't there but the savings at the end of the year are.

There are some academies in Vietnam who offer packages similar to those found in Korea but with a MUCH LOWER cost of living the savings are good and there is a lot to be said for having a 3bedroom house with maid compared to a 225 ft studio apartment.

Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the vote for Vietnam. You might also try China.
Sesame

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
metalhead wrote:
I know you're trying to be funny, but wouldn't a white South African be a Euro African?

Anyway, cchude1, I would advise that you keep doing what you're doing and sooner or later you will get your opportunity. Once you get your foot in the door things will get a lot easier. The African Americans I knew and worked with in Korea were well liked by both their students and schools.

No dummy. It would make him SOUTH AFRICAN. He was born in South Africa, thus he is a SOUTH AFRICAN.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
metalhead wrote:

No dummy. It would make him SOUTH AFRICAN. He was born in South Africa, thus he is a SOUTH AFRICAN.

ummm.... lets see...

Asian American = American with Asian ancestry.
African American = Black American = American (born in America) with African ancestry

so if we follow the same thinking wouldn't / shouldn't

Euro African = White African = African (born in S.Africa) with European ancestry?

Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
metalhead wrote:

Yes, of course he is SOUTH AFRICAN. But I was responding to metalhead's joke, and we were not talking about nationalities, we were talking about ethnicities.

Still, I regret saying anything, as I should have known it would devolve into this absurd tangent. OP was just asking for opinions on his or her best course of action.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Sesame wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
metalhead wrote:

ummm.... lets see...

Asian American = American with Asian ancestry.
African American = Black American = American (born in America) with African ancestry

so if we follow the same thinking wouldn't / shouldn't

Euro African = White African = African (born in S.Africa) with European ancestry?

I would actively discourage following the American way of thinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: