Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama speaks out on marijuana
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Over the 55 years studied, smoking in real life and on TV both declined. Between 1955 and 1964 there was an average of almost three tobacco appearances per hour in the primetime dramas, which declined to less than one every three hours between 2001 and 2010.

Quote:
Using an economic model, the authors determined that it was more likely TV smoking instances were influencing real-life smoking levels, rather than the other way around.

Quote:
The declining appearance of tobacco on TV has happened alongside a similar decline in movies, the authors note.

Cigarette prices increased steadily over the study period, which also probably deterred some smokers.

Quote:
Cigarettes haven't been advertised on television since a 1971 ban

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/04/16/smoking-on-tv-influences-adult-tobacco-use-study-says/

Some good things the government did:

-Banned cigarette advertising on TV and radio

-Banned billboard advertising near schools

-Since the introduction of the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act, all packaging and advertisements must display a health warning from the Surgeon General. In November 2003, tobacco companies and magazine publishers agreed to cease the placement of advertisements in school library editions of four magazines with a large group of young readers: Time, People, Sports Illustrated, and Newsweek.

-In 1997, the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement bans outdoor, billboard, and public transportation advertising of cigarettes in 46 states. It also prohibits tobacco advertising that targets young people, the usage of cartoons (such as the Marlboro Man or Joe Camel) in particular.

-Most recently, signed into law by President Barack Obama, the Tobacco Control Act became active on 22 June 2010. This act not only placed new restrictions on tobacco marketing but also extensive constraints concerning the circulation of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco to minors. Newly effective with this act, "audio advertisements are not permitted to contain any music or sound effects, while video advertisements are limited to static black text on a white background. Any audio soundtrack accompanying a video advertisement is limited to words only, with no music or sound effects."
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Get a better example then radcon because that link is about a brother in law of Bill Clinton suing the tobacco industry. (He was not defending them; in fact, the opposite.)

I have a better idea. Get a better brain.

Of course they did it through legal means. They would not do it secretly.
They are enriching themselves for allowing the sale of drugs on their turf.

They are not stopping anything, its business as usual. Its a win-win deal.
Its called drug dealing.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Minnesota senate just approved medical marijuana, going against the wishes the governor and law enforcement. They are drug dealers? C'mon, give me a break.

Here's another good read:

DENVER (AP) — Coloradans think marijuana legalization has been good for the state, though just 15 percent have bought pot since recreational sales began in January, according to a poll released Monday.

Fifty-two percent said marijuana legalization has been beneficial, 38 percent said it has been bad for the state, and 10 percent were unsure, according to the Quinnipiac University poll. Asked whether legalizations has "eroded the moral fiber" of people in Colorado, 30 percent agreed, and 67 percent disagreed.
guavashake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Actually, the Minnesota senate just approved medical marijuana, going against the wishes the governor and law enforcement. They are drug dealers? C'mon, give me a break.

Here's another good read:

DENVER (AP) — Coloradans think marijuana legalization has been good for the state, though just 15 percent have bought pot since recreational sales began in January, according to a poll released Monday.

Fifty-two percent said marijuana legalization has been beneficial, 38 percent said it has been bad for the state, and 10 percent were unsure, according to the Quinnipiac University poll. Asked whether legalizations has "eroded the moral fiber" of people in Colorado, 30 percent agreed, and 67 percent disagreed.

Your comment to me combined with the article, comes across as implying that I am not in favor of legalizing cannabis.

I'm totally in favor of legalizing cannabis.

Selling drugs monopolized by a group is a gangster activity.

Drug sales is among the top three businesses in the world.

You can take a break anytime.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MONTEVIDEO (Reuters) - Uruguay will exempt marijuana production and sales from taxes in a bid to ensure prices remain low enough to undercut competition from black market pot smuggled in from Paraguay, according to consultants advising the government on a legalization plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/uruguay-sell-marijuana-tax-free-undercut-drug-traffickers-135549301.html

President Jose Mujica signed a decree outlining the fine print of the new policy this month. It says Uruguayans will be able to buy up to 10 grams of marijuana a week in pharmacies at between 85 cents and US$1 dollar a gram, a price comparable to black-market pot.

Awesome! I want to go there!
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Fifty-two percent said marijuana legalization has been beneficial, 38 percent said it has been bad for the state, and 10 percent were unsure, according to the Quinnipiac University poll. Asked whether legalizations has "eroded the moral fiber" of people in Colorado, 30 percent agreed, and 67 percent disagreed

And the majority of the population is concentrated in the Denver/Aurora/Boulder area...marginalizing the votes of cities and counties that simply don't agree with it.

Whether or not it is beneficial, will be determined by how the profits are used.

Last edited by trueblue on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this push for legalization. Hopefully the UK follows the US here- I'd happily pay over the odds for a bag if it means not having to deal with dealers
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing seems wrong...

It might have been smart to do this 100 years ago. But America today is at the end of it's life cycle. It's the age of fat stupid people who don't have a job, or don't do their job, and disappear into sugar, drugs and the internet. It's Idioacracy. Fast forward 30 years, aren't Americans just going to be a bunch of fat stupid pot smoking pigs who never leave their house? Even more so than today I mean.

Is it a victory for the masses, or is it orchestrated; a way to sedate the masses?
happiness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
The timing seems wrong...

It might have been smart to do this 100 years ago. But America today is at the end of it's life cycle. It's the age of fat stupid people who don't have a job, or don't do their job, and disappear into sugar, drugs and the internet. It's Idioacracy. Fast forward 30 years, aren't Americans just going to be a bunch of fat stupid pot smoking pigs who never leave their house? Even more so than today I mean.

Is it a victory for the masses, or is it orchestrated; a way to sedate the masses?

I completely straight-edge and always have been, but Ive thought this forever, legalize and maybe there will be less crime though. I dont know, not my thing.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there WILL be less crime, cause they will all be sedated in their homes on fatness-disability. Wink

It will be interesting to see where it all ends up.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Ginormousaurus wrote:
The legalization movement has so much momentum right now. It's wonderful. We need that to extend up into Canada.

Yeah, it's interesting to see the political winds changing on it so quickly.

I wonder if it'll change more in Canada - but I sort of doubt it. Everyone I ask back home thinks it's (mostly) legal anyway. lol

Marc Emery just got out of jail a few days ago. I was actually on the same flight to Vancouver. It did not smell of pot, as I was asked twice by reporters at baggage claim. Confused
http://www.straight.com/news/709091/marc-emery-returns-vancouver-and-urges-supporters-legalize-marijuana-federal-election

I particularly liked this
Quote:
He has vowed to seek political revenge against the Conservative government for its role in his extradition

Marc wants YOU, Tories, he wants YOUUU!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/marc-emery-b-c-s-prince-of-pot-returns-to-vancouver-1.2738700
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tucked deep inside the 1,603-page federal spending measure is a provision that effectively ends the federal government's prohibition on medical marijuana and signals a major shift in drug policy.

The bill's passage over the weekend marks the first time Congress has approved nationally significant legislation backed by legalization advocates. It brings almost to a close two decades of tension between the states and Washington over medical use of marijuana.

Under the provision, states where medical pot is legal would no longer need to worry about federal drug agents raiding retail operations. Agents would be prohibited from doing so.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/chi-medical-marijuana-20141216-story.html
Quote:
"This is a victory for so many," said the measure's coauthor, Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of Costa Mesa. The measure's approval, he said, represents "the first time in decades that the federal government has curtailed its oppressive prohibition of marijuana."

By now, 32 states and the District of Colombia have legalized pot or its ingredients to treat ailments, a movement that began in the 1990s. Even back then, some states had been approving broader decriminalization measures for two decades.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
fat stupid pot smoking pigs

KimchiNinja wrote:
they will all be sedated in their homes on fatness-disability. Wink

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1682067/not-smoking-weed-is-why-youre-fat

These people were more into marijuana than alcohol:

(Their physiques are great.)

Miley Cyrus.

Rihanna.

The Game.

Brad Pitt.

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Bob Marley.

Johnny Depp.

Megan Fox.

Matt Damon.

Cameron Diaz.

Lady Gaga.

John Mayer.

Ryan Philippe.

Wiz Kahlifa.

Charlize Theron.

Justin Beiber.

George Clooney.

Kirsten Dunst

Lil Wayne.

Lex Luger (producer)

Jennifer Aniston

Harrison Ford

Justin Timberlake

Joe Rogan

Drinking alcohol = getting fatter. Smoking marijuana = becoming leaner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: