Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kneeling Popeyes employee - who is guilty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sector7G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Kneeling Popeyes employee - who is guilty? Reply with quote

Can someone explain this to me? I don't understand the significance of the "kneeling employee". Was she already on her knees doing something when the customer approached with the complaint, or did she get down on her knees in response to the complaint?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/07/511_160130.html

Kneeling Popeyes employee - who is guilty?

By Ko Dong-hwan

An SNS Wednesday photo of a female Popeyes employee kneeling in front of a female customer standing with one arm akimbo had millions of Korean netizens conclude it was just another case of a selfish consumer terrorizing a fast food outlet.

Last edited by Sector7G on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long have you lived here?

Dont you know its fruitless trying to figure out why they do things that they deem normal. No good will come of it...
Sector7G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

Dont you know its fruitless trying to figure out why they do things that they deem normal. No good will come of it...
Yes, I knew that. I just did not know if this was one of those times, or if I was just missing something. The article does not make the connection between the complaint and the kneeling employee. Maybe someone knows the back story....
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the photo, an older employee was kneeling in apology to a younger customer. Many people got really angry about it (snotty youngsters being mean, forcing poor elders to embarrass themselves) and it became a big thing.

Youngsters being bad is always popular story. It became big enough that the customer caught wind of the story and told her version, that she just wanted an apology and money back, but the worker fake-kneeled for the cameras, knowing that it would become something big. This side of the story made the whole thing bigger, one of those oh-snap-plot-twist things. Most people jumped to the other side and attacked the attackers for jumping to conclusions.

That's how I understand it from everyone who's been talking about it around me. Seems like a bunch of hubbub over nothing to me.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Thanks for explaining it!
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyDaegu wrote:
In the photo, an older employee was kneeling in apology to a younger customer. Many people got really angry about it (snotty youngsters being mean, forcing poor elders to embarrass themselves) and it became a big thing.

Youngsters being bad is always popular story. It became big enough that the customer caught wind of the story and told her version, that she just wanted an apology and money back, but the worker fake-kneeled for the cameras, knowing that it would become something big. This side of the story made the whole thing bigger, one of those oh-snap-plot-twist things. Most people jumped to the other side and attacked the attackers for jumping to conclusions.

That's how I understand it from everyone who's been talking about it around me. Seems like a bunch of hubbub over nothing to me.

Hard to know who to believe here. Sometimes Korean small businesses can be great and kind to us. But, on the other hand, they can also provide bad service and refuse to be accountable. So, who's right and who's wrong here? If there was plastic in my burger, I'd be pissed too. But otherwise as for kneeling, I don't understand what that part was all about.

When I worked in a restaurant years ago, if a customer brought forward some type of complaint, we'd apologize immediately and offer credit for the next visit first or to re-cook their meal. If they were really upset, we'd give them a refund. But no customer ever made us kneel nor would we have. If they had of coerced us with some type of violence to do so, the ploice would later have been called in to investigate and have had charges brought against them.

Generally, we tried not to tick off customers though. But when caught with something bad, we didn't hide it or bs it. We manned up, admitted it, apologized, and moved on. I suppose in this case if there was plastic bag in some kids burger, it wouldn't be from us. It would probably be from the supplier. We'd probably put the blame on the supplier to the customer and promise to investigate. But, we'd otherwise apologize and move on as quickly as possible.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

But, aside from what I said above, this comment from le-paul is most fitting.

Logic and Korea goes together like apple and chicken in a sandwich. (As in they don't. Just as Korean sandwiches make no sense, so too often do the situations not make sense.)
radcon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Logic and Korea goes together like apple and chicken in a sandwich. (As in they don't. Just as Korean sandwiches make no sense, so too often do the situations not make sense.)

http://www.food.com/recipe/crunchy-chicken-apple-salad-sandwiches-298434
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:
le-paul wrote:

ok, sweet cream cheese (big, thick dollops of it), potatoe, and chicken pizza with corn flakes sprinkled on top.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Apple in chicken salad is actually pretty good. That's how we always made them at home growing up. (Though personally my favourite is just mayo and all dark meat Razz )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: