Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incheon meltdown? What is happening?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Incheon meltdown? What is happening? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOmbmXIcuI
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No different that the GEPIK or SMOE issues a couple of years ago when the same thing happened.

New boss.
Budget shortfall.
Programs get cut.
NETs are expensive so they are first on the chopping block.

Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ttompatz said. Also, it's cheaper to hire a bunch of inexperienced level 3s or whatever than it is to keep those level 1s and 1+s around...
FDNY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. That's a shame. But I guess one door closes and another opens. I own a study room in Incheon and bu$ine$$ is booming. Granted, mothers expect a higher level of teaching, but that is to be expected as the market matures.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
What ttompatz said. Also, it's cheaper to hire a bunch of inexperienced level 3s or whatever than it is to keep those level 1s and 1+s around...

Maybe I misheard it, but I thought she said in the video it was the Fall intake that was rescinded. Which would on average be lower on the pay scale than the returners, right?

I guess it makes sense from an education standpoint to keep the 'best' (or perhaps just experienced) teachers and axe the un-tried though.

FDNY wrote:
Hmmm. That's a shame. But I guess one door closes and another opens. I own a study room in Incheon and bu$ine$$ is booming. Granted, mothers expect a higher level of teaching, but that is to be expected as the market matures.

A 덕사실? I thought those were just a bunch of study carrels... Is there actually teaching that goes on?
FDNY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
A 덕사실? I thought those were just a bunch of study carrels... Is there actually teaching that goes on?

No, a 공부방.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into someone who was affected last night. Sounds similar to the meltdown a few years ago like Ttompatz said, but apparently it's ALL teachers, not just highschool.

Totally fucked. A letter of apology for people who had done THEIR due diligence and were pretty much on their way.

The whole thing with superintendents getting voted in so damned frequently and being able to just make changes at a whim really needs to be tamped down some how. It was exactly what got me fed up with teaching in Korea and why I have no plans to go back to it.
happiness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdog2050 wrote:
Ran into someone who was affected last night. Sounds similar to the meltdown a few years ago like Ttompatz said, but apparently it's ALL teachers, not just highschool.

Totally fucked. A letter of apology for people who had done THEIR due diligence and were pretty much on their way.

The whole thing with superintendents getting voted in so damned frequently and being able to just make changes at a whim really needs to be tamped down some how. It was exactly what got me fed up with teaching in Korea and why I have no plans to go back to it.

Ha. I understand that. Had a really good private HS job and I had gotten along with the Principal and the staff very well. One day, the Principal changed out, and the new one didnt like me for some reason, and I was out within like 3 months (they did give me fair warning to their credit). Then after I left, he was changed. Sigh.
LostSeoul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Klown.
RangerMcGreggor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incheon is currently in budgetary hell, with the Asian Games and the massive money being put into Songdo turning out to be a giant flop. This is probably the one of many major cuts that is going to happen.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostSeoul wrote:
Welcome to Klown.

hello chickenpie.
LostSeoul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_thehorse wrote:
LostSeoul wrote:
Welcome to Klown.

hello chickenpie.

I think you have mistaken me for Scorpion.
Mix1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdog2050 wrote:

It's a crazy system. There's almost no master plan or goals for the program. Or if there are, the superintendents don't seem to know about them.

One thing might be working well, but the new superintendent will get no info about the current program when he comes in, OR will just change it just because, and axe all experienced staff who knew the ropes.
Then, when things don't go well, foreign staff get the blame and are the first to go.

They also do all sorts of shifty budgeting changes when they come in. Certain things get cancelled and the budget mysteriously goes to other departments, and what they do with it who knows.

I've heard that they rotate the staff so often to avoid corruption. Not sure how true that is, other than corruption being fairly constant here.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happiness wrote:
One day, the Principal changed out, and the new one didnt like me for some reason, and I was out within like 3 months (they did give me fair warning to their credit). Then after I left, he was changed. Sigh.

Usually the female bosses like me but the ajosshis view me as a threat. Rolling Eyes
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Usually the female bosses like me but the ajosshis view me as a threat.

Have you ever thought that you *could* be a confrontational kinda guy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: