Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visiting America with korean wife and son.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Lipschitz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Visiting America with korean wife and son. Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a quick question for those of you decided to settle down with a korean.

When and if you visited America, what immigration line did your wife go in?

Since our son is a dual citizen and will show his US passport, I am thinking about my wife joining us in the citizen line

Any ideas? She will enter with no visa, solely as a tourists.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Visiting America with korean wife and son. Reply with quote

Dr. Lipschitz wrote:
Hello!

I have a quick question for those of you decided to settle down with a korean.

When and if you visited America, what immigration line did your wife go in?

Since our son is a dual citizen and will show his US passport, I am thinking about my wife joining us in the citizen line

Any ideas? She will enter with no visa, solely as a tourists.

It has never been an issue for us at US or Canada customs.

In fact, when we flew through SeaTac we were told to stay together since there are different questions they are likely to ask to ensure that you/she aren't trying to back end around a K3/CR1 visa by her entering as a tourist under the visa waiver program.

Dr. Lipschitz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! That is great to hear

Any other experiences would be great. We went to Guam but went in different lines. This is my wife's first time to america and my biggest sales pitch to moving back!
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went last year with my wife and we were told to stay together. They also hounded me about not getting married and trying to stay in the country. I was scolded once at the immigration counter and again by the customs officer. Just be prepared for every officer to give you a stern warning.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
I went last year with my wife and we were told to stay together. They also hounded me about not getting married and trying to stay in the country. I was scolded once at the immigration counter and again by the customs officer. Just be prepared for every officer to give you a stern warning.

I'm confused. Are you married or aren't you?
pattinsons

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in and out of Honolulu. We stayed together. They looked at my daughter and myself it took a minute or two. For my wife it took longer. I think she was fingerprinted.

In my experience staying together in both Korea and the States wasn't an issue.
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay together.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
nicwr2002 wrote:

I'm confused. Are you married or aren't you?

Sorry that was unclear. I married in Korea, but the issue with them was this. They didn't want me to bring her in on a tourist visa and then just stay in the country.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worked for 10 people does not necessarily mean it will work for the next ten.
You are at the whim of the immigration person and then the custom's folks.
I have seen with my own eyes...customs giving the spouse (no visa just tourist) of a U.S. citizen the third degree and actually get immigration involved even though they cleared immigration! I have seen them take the spouse to another room/area and question them but don't know the outcome...did not stick around to find out.
My wife, a korean, has always been with me when we make our way through immigration; she did not enter the non U.S. citizen line. A few times she was jammed up, but no big problem. Again...depends on the mood of the immigration person.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as mentioned much earlier in the thread...

Enter as a family together through the "citizen" line. Be prepared to be questioned about her entering as a tourist rather than on a spousal visa.

To ensure easy passage through customs and immigration a return ticket and itinerary is a good thing to have since under the visa waiver program proof of return passage (or exiting the US) is a requirement.

You can expect they will want to ensure that you are not trying to get around the K3/CR1 (spousal) visa process.

Proof of continuing employment in Korea (a copy of your contract, ARC and proof of residence) might be a good thing to have to show that you are planning to return to Korea and not stay in the US.

Dr. Lipschitz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
What worked for 10 people does not necessarily mean it will work for the next ten.
You are at the whim of the immigration person and then the custom's folks.
I have seen with my own eyes...customs giving the spouse (no visa just tourist) of a U.S. citizen the third degree and actually get immigration involved even though they cleared immigration! I have seen them take the spouse to another room/area and question them but don't know the outcome...did not stick around to find out.
My wife, a korean, has always been with me when we make our way through immigration; she did not enter the non U.S. citizen line. A few times she was jammed up, but no big problem. Again...depends on the mood of the immigration person.

So do you know what an example of not clearing customs would be? Bringing too much kimchi? money?

That's a good idea, bringing copy of apartment contract,etc... Didn't think about that one. I'll be sure to do it along with my obvious return ticket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: