Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandatory training, Sat 19th?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fezmond

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Mandatory training, Sat 19th? Reply with quote

Anyone else been told they have to do mandatory teacher training on the 19th? Allegedly a new law was passed though this seems to be run by the Korean Hagwon Association. Seems like a load of bullshit again.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mandatory training, Sat 19th? Reply with quote

fezmond wrote:
Anyone else been told they have to do mandatory teacher training on the 19th? Allegedly a new law was passed though this seems to be run by the Korean Hagwon Association. Seems like a load of bullshit again.

It is rubbish.
It is NOT mandatory.
Immigration doesn't care if you go or not.
The MOE doesn't care if you go or not.
You don't get paid for it.
Nobody will know or care if you don't go.
You won't be fined by any government agency.

It is a waste of your day.

Feel free to ignore it.

Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the schedule, it doesn’t seem that bad.

9.00-9.30 - opening address
9.30-10.30 - Korean culture & workplace practice
10.30-12.00 - Traditional Korean mask dance

12.00-1.00 lunch

1.00-2.00 pimp your NET
2.00-3.00 NET got talent (Owners take great pride in winning this)

3.00-5.00 informal drinks and mingling.
Kepler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is mandatory. Hagwon teachers in Daejon received this type of training back in May. Translation of a newspaper article about the event:

"On May 21, the Daejeon Metropolitan Office of Education will hold the 2014 Foreign Hagwon Instructor Training Education, organized by the Daejeon branch of the Korea Association of Hakwon, in the auditorium of the Daejeon Institute of Education and Science from 9:30 to 11:30 in the morning.

"This training is for 309 foreign hagwon instructors on E-2 visas working at 122 hagwons under the DMOE's jurisdiction and is to be held for the purpose of preparing them for their roles as social educators and to help them adapt to Korean culture.

"This training is to strengthen the capability of foreign teachers by inspiring a sense of responsibility and sense of duty as lifelong educators and to educate them about 'understanding Korean culture' and 'prevention and punishment of sex crimes against children and youth.'

"The plan for this year's training is for foreign instructors to have an understanding of Korean culture and laws to prevent such things as sex crimes from happening in hagwons beforehand and to be the starting point for quality instructors to work in Daejeon hagwons."
http://populargusts.blogspot.kr/2014/05/foreign-instructors-receiving-education.html
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been to one in almost four years now. It is not mandatory.
neilio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not mandatory
not sure if yours costs $, some hagwons would charge teachers 10-15K fees that would be pocketed.

I've also heard that the organization running it gets $ from govt for each teacher that attends. It's a cheaper way for the govt to train teachers, basically a scam.

Schedule sounds okay? does it sound better than sleeping in and doing whatever the f i want.
happiness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no law, your boss just said that. never been to one yet. my boss asked me if I wanted to go, but said why should she lose business for a day. haha.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These meetings are a sham. All they amount to are telling you that foreigners molest kids so don't molest the students. Korea is #1 and you are fortunate to be here working for your boss. Kimchi is great and we have the world's oldest and best traditions. They will not mention all the tricks that your boss is going to pull on you and how to go about getting your money and the vacation days he is stealing from you.

Any person who goes to the meetings is making an idiot of themselves. Have some self respect. Just say NO. Don't go.
ontheway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mandatory training, Sat 19th? Reply with quote

fezmond wrote:

It is a very old law, however some local education offices have only recently begun to implement the law. Others still don't follow this law. The local officials have little time for these, so they partner with the hogwan associations. There are obvious benefits to the officials and the hogwans in the associations.

ttompatz wrote:
It is NOT mandatory.

WRONG. False. Bad information.

These meetings are mandatory and a statutory requirement. They are under the purview of the local and/or provincial Education Offices (not the national office, which explains their lack of knowledge).

However, this being Korea, rules and laws are often ingored, especially by bureaucrats who face no penalty and have little incentive to carry out extra duties. Even serious matters, such as the seaworthiness of ferries, are left unattended by the various Korean departments and agencies.

ttompatz wrote:
Immigration doesn't care if you go or not.

True. These meetings are under the aegis of the local offices of education and have nothing to do with Immigration. They are none of Immigration's business, which has nothing to do with whether they are legally required or not.

ttompatz wrote:
The MOE doesn't care if you go or not.

False.

Each local or provincial education office has the legal requirement to administer these meetings annually. Some have done these for years, some only started recently and some have never held the required meetings. Depending on the area in which you live, you may have to go or you may never be invited.

In addition, the list of those required to attend comes from the local office of education. Public school teachers have their own annual meeting. These meetings are for hogwan teachers who are registered with the local office of education. The list does not come from Immigration and it does not come from the hogwan association. This means that some E2 teachers will not get an attendance notice because their school never registered them with the local education office. You will have to attend if you are registered with the local moe, even if your school is not a member of the hogwan association.

Many teachers who have never had to attend one of these meetings have not been legally registered at their local moe. Others live in an area where the local moe doesn't hold the meetings as required by law. Korean officials and hogwan owners are well known for ignoring laws when it's convenient.

Since the meetings are annual, but not held at fixed dates, it's possible to start a job after the meeting was held in one year and finish a contract before the meeting is called for the next year.

ttompatz wrote:
You don't get paid it.

This is generally true, unless your contract has a special provision to pay you for attending. Your employer has no obligation to pay you for the time or cost of your personal governmental obligations.

ttompatz wrote:
Nobody will know or care if you don't go.

False, sort of. Most of these meetings have registration forms that "prove" that you attended. As long as your form has been submitted and the fee paid, it is unlikely that anyone will notice whether or not you were actually there.

ttompatz wrote:
You won't be fined by any government agency.

False, sometimes. This again is up to each local education office, so it depends on where you live. Many are lax and will not pursue you for a matter that amounts to a parking ticket. However, some local offices do have fines for not attending.

Many years ago at the school I worked at then, my wonjangnim forgot to tell me about the meeting. A letter came in the mail in my name with a fine for not attending. The wonjangnim paid the fine since it was her fault I wasn't aware and didn't attend - there was no way I was going to pay for her mistake.

ttompatz wrote:
It is rubbish.
... It is a waste of your day.

Personal opinion. I agree that these meetings are usually rubbish and a waste of time. However, some teachers use them as an opportunity to meet other teachers, make friends and network. At my first such meeting I met a number of hogwan owners one of which helped me escape my bad boss and switch schools and another owner whose school I moved to.

ttompatz wrote:
Feel free to ignore it.

This is very bad advice.

In addition to the possibility of being fined, you can be required to attend a later meeting at a different, and less convenient, location. Failure to do so can bring serious repercussions for your school. If they have had any previous trouble with the local eduation office they may have no choice but to fire you for failure to attend, since this could be a final blow that forces the school to close. However, by putting the onus on the teacher, the school can escape penalty.

It is required by law to attend these meetings, so you can be fired for failure to attend, although that would be a very unusual outcome; it's usually easier to just make it look as if you did attend. This would be a convenient reason, added to other problems, to get rid of a troublesome teacher. Because you broke a Korean law by failure to attend, your school would have just cause, so the Labor Office would not be able to help you.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I challenge you to find just 1 instance (ever) where an E2 employee was (legally) prosecuted or fined by any government office of competent authority for failing to attend.

A hagwon association does NOT have the legal authority to levy a fine against an employee.

ghostrider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All they amount to are telling you that foreigners molest kids so don't molest the students.

I'm not sure why they emphasize that so much. Foreign teachers come from countries where that kind of crime is punished more harshly. Don't Koreans realize that?

Quote:
Schedule sounds okay? does it sound better than sleeping in and doing whatever the f i want.

LOL, I think the schedule that someone posted above was meant to be a joke.

Another thing- when I went all foreign teachers were forced to pay 10,000 won at the door.
ontheway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Again, I challenge you to find just 1 instance (ever) where an E2 employee was (legally) prosecuted or fined by any government office of competent authority for failing to attend.

A hagwon association does NOT have the legal authority to levy a fine against an employee.

I was fined by the local education office for failure to attend in 2002.
fezmond

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is in Hapjeong as has been suggested, I'll walk in, get the stamp and walk back out again.
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontheway wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

I was fined by the local education office for failure to attend in 2002.

Horse struck and killed by meteorite; May 1st, 1860.
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A hagwon association does NOT have the legal authority to levy a fine against an employee

While that may be true...it does not mean a teacher will still have a job the following week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: