Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Or in the spirit of Self Governance....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
trueblue wrote:

Forcing people to pay for things they find unmoral based on religious grounds, is a threat to religious liberty.
(bold is mine)

Closely held corporations aren't people, my friend. They can't have sincere religious beliefs.

Corporate personhood is only a concern when the corporation must necessarily be considered an entity apart from its directors. We could dismiss all rulings based on such logic and still maintain this Hobby Lobby ruling, as a reasonable man could (and should) see these beliefs as obvious extensions of those in control of the company.

I'm curious, why do you disagree with an employer not providing abortifacients (or any contraceptive, really) to his employees?

Leon wrote:
Although I wonder if employers will start hiring lawyers and finding religion...

That article I linked addresses this 'concern.'
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Kuros wrote:
trueblue wrote:

Forcing people to pay for things they find unmoral based on religious grounds, is a threat to religious liberty.
(bold is mine)

Closely held corporations aren't people, my friend. They can't have sincere religious beliefs.

Corporate personhood is only a concern when the corporation must necessarily be considered an entity apart from its directors. We could dismiss all rulings based on such logic and still maintain this Hobby Lobby ruling, as a reasonable man could (and should) see these beliefs as obvious extensions of those in control of the company.

I'm curious, why do you disagree with an employer not providing abortifacients (or any contraceptive, really) to his employees?

Leon wrote:
Although I wonder if employers will start hiring lawyers and finding religion...

That article I linked addresses this 'concern.'

Your link is partisan hackery, not much better than the people on the left he mocks. Your reasoning ignored mine. I really do think health care should not be a employers' responsibility. I even more strongly think that treating corporations as people or as entities capable of 'religion' or money as corporate 'free speech' are much more dangerous to our society than whether or not corporations are all forced to follow the same laws regarding a small part of their health insurance coverage. The left and right, as usual, miss the most important bits in their squabbles.
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your link is partisan hackery, not much better than the people on the left he mocks. Your reasoning ignored mine. I really do think health care should not be a employers' responsibility. I even more strongly think that treating corporations as people or as entities capable of 'religion' or money as corporate 'free speech' are much more dangerous to our society than whether or not corporations are all forced to follow the same laws regarding a small part of their health insurance coverage. The left and right, as usual, miss the most important bits in their squabbles

Crap...I think I am having a flashback to my Social Organizational Theory class back from graduate school....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: