Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sending money overseas..HOW??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kittyfye

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: sending money overseas..HOW?? Reply with quote

Having been here about two months it is now time to start sending the cash back to the States. I have two creditors who do not accept money transfers from banks and will not take a Western Union transfer as a payment [b/c they have to send someone to West Un office to pick it up]. Since I do not have a credit card [bad credit], I assumed that I could simply pirchase a money order and send it overseas snail mail, but my KB Bank manager told me that money orders are 'very, very difficult', which I believe is his polite way of telling me that they dont handle money orders. Who does issue money orders, if anyone?

Any suggestions?
peppermint

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transfer it to an account in your home country, and then give the creditors post dated checques?
oneiros

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I asked for something "difficult", CHB would always tell me to go to Korean Exchange Bank. They might be worth a try.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchase a money order at another bank or remit money to someone at homewho may write a check for you or remit money to your account at home and send checks from Korea.

Or: If you are American: Send money to your bank. Attatch it to MSN bill pay or Yahoo bill pay and you can pay your bills on the internet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toby

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEB are good for that.

I sent home today. The first time you do it it takes a while, but I sent today, cost me 12,000 to send and took about 5 minutes.

Open an account and send from them. They are good.
dulouz

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Bank Card Reply with quote

Yea, I got card with the cirrus network from KookMin. I got 2, sent one home and dad takes out $1,000, $100 at a time when I tell him. We are not made aware of any charges at the bank in the states ie $1.00 fee but I havent confirmed the fees on this end. Too detailed and too afraid to get involved in that much detail.

This outrageous but I do send cash in the mail albeit registered. Shocked
Tinyteg

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent money home (UK) and the first time i went in there it took 15 minutes to do. Pretty speedy and it cost me 12,000 won in transfer fees.
cellphone

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the thread. I also am rather new to Korea and haven't even opened a bank account and done alot of the other basics.

Question, is the general concensus that KB*B (that famous chain bank) just about the best or one of most recommended? I guess you see them all over town and from the sense I'm getting is they have good service? More importantly thought I saw a few people say they used KB*B to do money transfers back home (for me home is U.S.).

Also, is KEB same as KB*B or completely different? Just thought I'd ask because it would be nice to select one of the all around best banks to start off with.
funplanet

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB will issue foreign currency cheques...just ask them to do it!!!
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellphone wrote:

Question, is the general concensus that KB*B (that famous chain bank) just about the best or one of most recommended? I guess you see them all over town and from the sense I'm getting is they have good service? More importantly thought I saw a few people say they used KB*B to do money transfers back home (for me home is U.S.).

Welcome. Here is a poll about the best banks:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=6639
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KuroBara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I am just trying to get everything ready to come over. When I get to Korea, I know I want to open an account with KEB. What do I need to do to be able to transfer my money from KEB to my account here in the US? If I have read everything correctly, it seems like I just need to tell KEB that I want internet banking and provide them with my US account info. Is this correct? Please, please help!!
Sapa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your better off going into your current home bank and asking them what you would need to provide to pay money into your account. They can then give you your IBAN number and whatever else you need.
samantha27

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

International debit card.
Get 2.
Keep 1
Send 1 home

Have someone you trust withdrawl from your account and deposit it into you American account
Nova Scotian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you this was very useful.
sheilabocchine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha! That is the answer I was searching for! I was wondering this same thing!

Thanks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: