Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my race?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
The moms are the employer's problem, and if the employer chose to hire someone I would think they would know what they are getting into.

Why don't you ask black people working here what their experiences have been and let them be the judge. They would be the ones to know!!

If a hogwon hires you and kids drop the hogwon, you'll be fired. They owner won't be able to afford you. It's not a charity.

If you only ask black people here you're getting a positive bias because the ones that had negative experiences more likely left (or were never hired to begin with).

It seems some of you don't want to believe you live in such a country. Do you even have an Italian American, or Spanish American friend here? If I look at 90% of the teachers here they're white, and I mean "get a sunburn in 20 minutes" white.

Put a photo of Obama on a powerpoint and hear what the kids call him. It isn't "president!"

Here's a piece of Korean reality:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2014/05/201_150883.html
cchude1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your insightful replies. I've read them all and learned a lot about the situation in Korea. I have decided to look for other ESL jobs around the world, particularly in Europe. I have garnered a lot of interests in that area. I am surprised that just because of my skin color, my ability to find work as an ESL teacher would be greatly influenced because of that. Already I have had interviews from Eastern Europe and central Asia. I have a feeling that it is only in East Asia that Blacks face difficulties in finding teaching jobs. That is really, really shameful since Western societies are becoming diverse racially. Can you believe that the President of the United States of America would have a tough time finding an ESL position in Korea (or any other East Asian country) simply because of his skin color!

By the way, there is no excuse for this. Firstly, Every ESL candidate is college educated and are probably well spoken enough to do the job. Secondly, if they are worried that blacks have an accent, why don't they just do an interview to hear how they speak. Thirdly, Koreans themselves know that this behavior is inappropriate because they do not announce that being white is a major qualification. In no job posting did I see "only Whites apply." They know that it is wrong to discriminate simply by skin color therefore they are not open about it. Moreover, I would not have had a big problem if they simply stated that they wanted only white people to for their teaching positions because at least I would be waiting my time applying.

Anyways, I have moved on from this country with no regrets despite my naivety about the severity of the racial discrimination in Korea. I am looking forward to beginning my English teaching adventure somewhere in Europe or Central Asia. Again, thank you everyone for submitting your replies and if you guys have anymore to say then feel free to submit more replies.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Already I have had interviews from Eastern Europe and central Asia

Might not be the places to go if you want to avoid anti-black racism. People there tend to do things like throw bananas and make monkey chants at black players during football games.

Quote:
Put a photo of Obama on a powerpoint and hear what the kids call him. It isn't "president!"

What kids are those? All my classes know who Obama is and no one has ever said anything racist.

It seems the kids and likely a lot of Koreans have a "tiered" system in regards to blacks/Africans (non-Koreans in general). Politicians, actors, singers, athletes, etc. are usually admired and can have big fan bases. Black people who come here to teach English/other professionals and have a professional/academic air about them generally get treated pretty well. Those that don't have that air and migrant workers and the like, they get it bad, real bad.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Quote:

What kids are those?

Grade 5 Elementary. And the school's catchment area is probably the city's richest neighborhood.
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Quote:

What kids are those?

Grade 5 Elementary. And the school's catchment area is probably the city's richest neighborhood.

Grade 2-6 Elementary. Grades 1-3 Middle School. I've never taught High School.
metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
Already I have had interviews from Eastern Europe and central Asia

Might not be the places to go if you want to avoid anti-black racism. People there tend to do things like throw bananas and make monkey chants at black players during football games.

Ah, so you've lived in each of those countries and speak from first-hand experience? Seems to me that the average Korean is more racist than the average Eastern European, but seeing as how you've lived in every single country you must be correct then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: