Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incheon meltdown? What is happening?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximmm wrote:
Can you imagine what the world would be like if eslcafe members were in charge of the world during a catastrophe?

A: A meteor is about to hit the Earth!
B: We got to do something!!
C: Let's think of a plan!
D: Korean men consider me a threat because I'm so manly.
ABC: OMG! Tell us more! What about Korean women? Do you often have problems with Korean men?!
D: Well....
ABC: OMG! Tell us! How manly are you? How big are your biceps?! etc, etc, etc

It would probably end up in the same result with Korean men in charge.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Do you show the same kind of contempt and challenges towards your female bosses? .

K-men generally want too high a level of respect.

In the real world you only get treated like royalty if you're very very very special.

They also tend to be incommunicative, fosture an air of unapproachability, and do little more than sit in oversized offices reading the paper.

In reality workers want someone who includes them and communicates, someone who sents an example to look up to.

K-women are much more down to earth. They haven't been conditioned into a culture of entitlement since birth. They are forced to rely much more on actual skills.

Was this at a public school?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Do you show the same kind of contempt and challenges towards your female bosses? .

K-men generally want too high a level of respect.

In the real world you only get treated like royalty if you're very very very special.

They also tend to be incommunicative, fosture an air of unapproachability, and do little more than sit in oversized offices reading the paper.

In reality workers want someone who includes them and communicates, someone who sents an example to look up to.

K-women are much more down to earth. They haven't been conditioned into a culture of entitlement since birth. They are forced to rely much more on actual skills.

Was this at a public school?

Just sounds to me like your average unhappy worker pissed off at the people that boss them around at work. Nothing new, carry on...
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
its no coincidence that all of my female bsses have gotten on with me like a house on fire but all my K-men bosses have either fired me or tried to fire me for reasons they couldn't name (despite my being an outstanding teacher).

I've worked with/trained/been in the company of lots of teachers, both qualified and unqualified.

One thing that resonates the most - usually people who *think* that they are outstanding, have the most to learn...

OP you can put your fingers back in your ears now and start singing to yourself.
3DR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
3DR wrote:
What actions make him think they view him as a threat?

I would like to hear about them.

being a foreign man is enough. Korean men view you as the enemy. They lay traps for you, they try to sabotage you at every turn.

its no coincidence that all of my female bsses have gotten on with me like a house on fire but all my K-men bosses have either fired me or tried to fire me for reasons they couldn't name (despite my being an outstanding teacher).

Korean males view this as their territory, and they are used to rigging everything entirely in their favor. They've created their own self-serving little game whereby the women are subjugated into simpering slaves and nobody is allowed to question them.

They don't want the fools paradise spoiled by a foreign guy who does not bow and scrape. If they have to accept foreign people, then they want some pretty blonde female to pamper their ego.

So no examples? Just random obvservations you made from ALL your bosses? Funny how the majority of teachers here can teach here for years and not experience any of that, yet you, said every boss.

It's like the loser who has no redeediming qualities about himself constantly blame women and wonder why he can't get a date.

Sounds like you are the problem lol.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximmm wrote:
Can you imagine what the world would be like if eslcafe members were in charge of the world during a catastrophe?

A: A meteor is about to hit the Earth!
B: We got to do something!!
C: Let's think of a plan!
D: Korean men consider me a threat because I'm so manly.
ABC: OMG! Tell us more! What about Korean women? Do you often have problems with Korean men?!
D: Well....
ABC: OMG! Tell us! How manly are you? How big are your biceps?! etc, etc, etc
I like this one. Laughing
Lucas wrote:
Quote:

I've worked with/trained/been in the company of lots of teachers, both qualified and unqualified.

One thing that resonates the most - usually people who *think* that they are outstanding, have the most to learn...

OP you can put your fingers back in your ears now and start singing to yourself.

Actually this thread started out ostensibly about Incheon's budgetary woes and education cuts. But in less than 1 page we got to 'Ajussis cannee handle thus!' (that's my text based Scottish accent). New record?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:
Incheon is currently in budgetary hell, with the Asian Games and the massive money being put into Songdo turning out to be a giant flop. This is probably the one of many major cuts that is going to happen.

Songdo a giant flop? Not from what I've seen. I have a friend living there and he says a huge influx of people have moved in there over the past 3 years.

It is growing rapidly. You obviously do not live there, nor have you seen the changes going on over in the new city.

I think the issue is that the business side of things hasn't really materialized.

There's an influx of people because it's a super low density area that has fantastic infrastructure, but it isn't drawing the money-making interests they intended it to. At least not to the degree they expected / or as fast.

To me one of the biggest drawbacks was that getting to/from there is a pain in the ass (from the airport it's quite convenient, but to Seoul is 1.5-2hrs on the train). This was echoed by everyone I met living there, the vast majority of whom commuted elsewhere in Incheon or to Seoul for their jobs.

So yes, it's filling in, but my understanding is that it's not really following the course they'd plotted for it.

I agree on the business side things are not going the way they hoped but that's not why people are moving there.

It's just generally a nice place to live. Good schools, real sidewalks, real sewer system that doesn't stink at every intersection, nice parks, greeen belts, fresh air. I could go on. The development slowed down with the recession but it hasn't stopped. I saw lots of Koreans with families there.

Lots of foreigners there now too. Maybe several thousand now. The GCF, World Bank, lots of engineers, and lots of tourists and flight crews from the airport.

The Koreans know it might not fit previous expectations, but you must understand they don't want it to be another Itaewon.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for Americans: Job growth back home hit 288,000 jobs per month. The unemployment rate is hovering just at 6%. You can still get that job at wall mart!
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3DR wrote:
Funny how the majority of teachers here can teach here for years and not experience any of that

The only way to "not experience" stupid ajosshi behaviour on a virtual daily basis is to move around this country in a tank.

If you can't see the discriminatory way K-men treat foreign men- as opposed to one of their own- then you're either a gyopo, female, or need a lobotomy.

Open your eyes. Take notice of how K-men react to you depending on when you're with your k g-f, k- friends, or on your own, as opposed to how they speak to other K-men.

In the past two days I've had to get in the face of two ajosshis- that's one per day- because they think they can talk down to my g/f. Korean ajosshis are used to the idea they control everything in this country. Would they even dare talk to the wife of another k-man? no, of course they wouldn't. The vast majority of K-males over 40 are pig-imbeciles that have desperately needed their heads smacked in since they were five years old.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
In the past two days I've had to get in the face of two ajosshis- that's one per day- because they think they can talk down to my g/f. Korean ajosshis are used to the idea they control everything in this country. Would they even dare talk to the wife of another k-man? no, of course they wouldn't.

What exactly do you mean by 'talk down'?

Stan Rogers wrote:
wanderkind wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:
Songdo a flop
Naw dawg.

There's an influx of people because it's a super low density area that has fantastic infrastructure, but it isn't drawing the money-making interests they intended it to. At least not to the degree they expected / or as fast.

I agree on the business side things are not going the way they hoped but that's not why people are moving there.

It's just generally a nice place to live. Good schools, real sidewalks, real sewer system that doesn't stink at every intersection, nice parks, greeen belts, fresh air.
I could go on. The development slowed down with the recession but it hasn't stopped. I saw lots of Koreans with families there.

I guess that was just poor phrasing on my part, but I meant exactly what you said.
3DR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
3DR wrote:
Funny how the majority of teachers here can teach here for years and not experience any of that

The only way to "not experience" stupid ajosshi behaviour on a virtual daily basis is to move around this country in a tank.

If you can't see the discriminatory way K-men treat foreign men- as opposed to one of their own- then you're either a gyopo, female, or need a lobotomy.

Open your eyes. Take notice of how K-men react to you depending on when you're with your k g-f, k- friends, or on your own, as opposed to how they speak to other K-men.

In the past two days I've had to get in the face of two ajosshis- that's one per day- because they think they can talk down to my g/f. Korean ajosshis are used to the idea they control everything in this country. Would they even dare talk to the wife of another k-man? no, of course they wouldn't. The vast majority of K-males over 40 are pig-imbeciles that have desperately needed their heads smacked in since they were five years old.

Really? Because just the other day while walking in the park, these two ajeosshis were staring down my fiancee and I and when I saw that, you know what I did? I said "annyeonghaseyo" with a smile on my face.

You know what they did? They proceeded to smile, ask if I spoke Korean well, and gave us some soju, beer, and chicken and said good luck to us in our marriage.

See what people like you don't seem to understand is that you get out what you put in life 9 times out of 10. I'm pretty sure guys like you walk around with an aura of negativity, "don't eff with me", and a general off putting vibe to most of the locals because you've already judged them before you've met them. Are there some aholes no matter what? Sure, but most of the time, people can pick up on how you carry yourself and I guarantee that if you are experiencing is that much, then there is a good chance you are putting off that vibe about yourself.

Every single one of my friends here who have constant problems with the locals here are generally negative people and have already concluded in their mind about how the locals are. I am never surprised when they encounter troubles here almost every week.

Stop whining, no one's gonna change your diaper.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3DR wrote:
I said "annyeonghaseyo" with a smile on my face.

You know what they did? They proceeded to smile, ask if I spoke Korean well, and gave us some soju, beer, and chicken and said good luck to us in our marriage.

You really want to spend your weekend acting like a mommy to every ajosshi in the street and the subway? Reassuring every random simpleton that foreigners are indeed human? Must have a lot of time on your hands.

Quote:
See what people like you don't seem to understand is that you get out what you put in life 9 times out of 10.

Can you tell that to the koreans please? The hostile death-stares that ajoshis send my way get the reaction they deserve. Please also tell them not to then suddenly act like victims when they are the one instigating the negativity in the first place.

Xenephobia is on steroids in this country regardless of foreign gestures of friendship, and has been for centuries. Nationalism and pure-blood theory is the only thing many ajosshis have left to hold onto, it is the foundation of their identity. Letting go of it would render their lives meaningless. Nationalism and victimhood iare the motivating force that built this country over the past 50 years.

Foreigners that walk around smiling and well-meaning generally are viewed as stupid or to be taken advantage of.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
See what people like you don't seem to understand is that you get out what you put in life 9 times out of 10. I'm pretty sure guys like you walk around with an aura of negativity, "don't eff with me", and a general off putting vibe to most of the locals because you've already judged them before you've met them. Are there some aholes no matter what? Sure, but most of the time, people can pick up on how you carry yourself and I guarantee that if you are experiencing is that much, then there is a good chance you are putting off that vibe about yourself.

+1

Quote:
Foreigners that walk around smiling and well-meaning generally are viewed as stupid or to be taken advantage of.

There is a difference between aggression and being assertive.

If you are assertive in Korea, you tend to have few problems.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:

+1

Quote:

There is a difference between aggression and being assertive.

If you are assertive in Korea, you tend to have few problems.

There's being assertive and being rational. Koreans think both are going against the grain, and that's something I've had plenty of problems with. You have far lesser talented people who do well here just because they go with the flow and the like. Of course, such people can also suddenly be let go, and then they realize they learned no valuable skills while at their jobs. Reality can REALLY bite hard.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
You have far lesser talented people who do well here just because they go with the flow and the like.

This extends to korean society as well.

Its part of the reason this culture has produced little inventiveness or originality. Real talent is viewed as threatening, and upstarts are dealt with before they can upset the social order. Maintaining the male-dominated hierarchy takes precedence over the well-being or advancement of society.

Last edited by Chaparrastique on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: