Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public pool supervision / lack thereof
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderkind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Public pool supervision / lack thereof Reply with quote

I want to slap the lifeguards at my local pool.

They're always on their phones, and more often than not with earphones or headphones on. And they sit with their backs to the wading pool where the kids play, and I've never once seen them turn around.

Now, granted, the wading pool is about 2 feet, and the main pool is about 4 feet deep, but you don't need much water to drown. All it takes is for someone to suffer some acute adverse health event, or some kids horsing around pushing each other under water and you can suddenly have a person in the process of drowning.

And these (I want to use the word 'clowns' but that's somewhat loaded here) twits are going to be AT BEST 15s-30s slow responding.

This is in full view of the front desk staff so it would appear they don't have a problem with it, which I find difficult to fathom. I wanted to say something this morning but I wasn't sure I'd get my point across. I'm gonna have to look up a few things so I can discuss it with the front desk next time I go.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped that the ferry sinking would be a catalyst for change regarding safety here, but I've yet to see any actual change in my daily life.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. I'm gonna have to look up a few things so I can discuss it with the front desk next time I go.

시간은 아이들 여기에 오나요?
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with getting them to get on the stick. I would say why waste your breath, but you never know. You might wake them up enough to save some kid's life.

As a former lifeguard, I know it can be tough to stay alert and not just zone out. That's why you rotate positions every 20 minutes or so.

The solution here would be to not allow them to have their smart phones while on watch. But Samsung, LG, SK and the all the rest ain't having that.

(Apologies if in conjuring up my lifeguard past, anything I posted resembled one of sr's expertise essays.)
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully back home, I could count on the lifeguards not being stoned or talking to their friends or trying to hook up with someone.

This doesn't excuse the behavior here, but thinking our hormonal adolescent lifeguards back home are constantly vigilant over the course of an 8 hour shift while getting paid $9 an hour is a bit silly.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Thankfully back home, I could count on the lifeguards not being stoned or talking to their friends or trying to hook up with someone.

This doesn't excuse the behavior here, but thinking our hormonal adolescent lifeguards back home are constantly vigilant over the course of an 8 hour shift while getting paid $9 an hour is a bit silly.

What's silly is your post. Lifeguards aren't on duty for eight hours straight nor are they at the same post nor do they have the same duty. This helps them stay alert.

On top of that, they have actual supervision. If they act in the manner you describe, they'd be out of a job pretty quick.

Stick to the flying, little g. The Luftwaffe needs good men like yourself.

"little g, on your last seven missions you have yet to engage the enemy."

"Jawolt, but the English did not engage me either. I am in the clouds and see nary an enemy plane."

"Quit hiding from them like a blind rabbit and engage, little g."

"But my ammo was not what I requested, I thought my fuel might have water in it, the sun was in my eyes..."
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize that often their supervisor is some 21 year old who they are sneaking off to go smokedown with, right? Dude, some of my friends lifeguarded and it was a step away from 'Waiting'.

Maybe at a serious facility where a bunch of seniors are in an Olympic size pool, yeah, but the local kiddie/community pool like was described is first year types watched over by third year types who are either getting stoned and trying to avoid dealing with the rugrats and parents or are waiting until the high school seniors and college kids show up to start flirting with people.

Do you seriously believe those 18 year old kids are sitting around maintaining a Ghurka-like vigilance over the kiddie pool, as if they were on the lookout? Heck, if they pay TOO close attention that might creep out the parents.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
You do realize that often their supervisor is some 21 year old who they are sneaking off to go smokedown with, right? Dude, some of my friends lifeguarded and it was a step away from 'Waiting'.

Maybe at a serious facility where a bunch of seniors are in an Olympic size pool, yeah, but the local kiddie/community pool like was described is first year types watched over by third year types who are either getting stoned and trying to avoid dealing with the rugrats and parents or are waiting until the high school seniors and college kids show up to start flirting with people.

Do you seriously believe those 18 year old kids are sitting around maintaining a Ghurka-like vigilance over the kiddie pool, as if they were on the lookout? Heck, if they pay TOO close attention that might creep out the parents.

They know enough to know that if one of the kids drown there will be hell to pay--for them, for their supervisor and for the pool. They've got one eye open.

Ghurka-like maintenance? It appears you're the one partaking of illegal substances.

Your lifeguard friends? There was a pool down the road from the farm or just down the street in the ghetto or was it a flying pool? Maybe you were hanging out at the country club after locking up the Circle K.
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debate of the year. Korean lifeguards vs western lifeguards.

You two need each other so bad to fill your empty lives.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
Debate of the year. Korean lifeguards vs western lifeguards.

You two need each other so bad to fill your empty lives.

Says the guy with the dead movie star as an avatar.

How do you spell empty? Very Happy
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Do you seriously believe those 18 year old kids are sitting around maintaining a Ghurka-like vigilance over the kiddie pool, as if they were on the lookout? In a well-operated pool area, yes, I absolutely do believe those 18 year-old kids are maintaining constant vigilance over the pool/patron/surroundings. Exactly "as if they were on the lookout". Because that is 100% their job. Heck, if they pay TOO close attention that might creep out the parents. Don't be ridiculous. Parents aren't going to be creeped out by someone hired to watch patrons watching patrons. If they watch patron (singular) they aren't doing their job. Fired. And fear of dismissal for inappropriate behaviour as a rationalization for poor supervising practices....come on.

SR, I didn't say anything about Korea, I just ranted about a poorly supervised pool. Like the one your friends supervised apparently. Don't make this a back-home vs. here thing, because that isn't what this is. This is shitty pool supervision vs. good pool supervision.

In a well-operated swimming area, there are measures in place to promote the lifeguards' 'Ghurka-like vigilance'. Regularly rotating position, confirming other lifeguards' attentiveness by hand signals, clearing the pool for breaks. Also, being supervised themselves by all the parents, as well as their official supervisor, and being paid well enough that there is a line of other equally qualified young people waiting to replace them should they at any point appear to be slacking off are all excellent motivators.

You don't need Navy SEALS in there, you just need people inclined to do the job they've been hired to do, and trained well enough that they're able to. And 1 or both of those elements seems absent in the facility I visit.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:

Your lifeguard friends? There was a pool down the road from the farm or just down the street in the ghetto or was it a flying pool? Maybe you were hanging out at the country club after locking up the Circle K.

atwood, I know you have it in your head that I'm somehow making up my life, but I'm not. Plenty of people, including myself, grew up on farms outside of the city, but were bused into school and later moved into the city when they turned 18, you know the age when people become lifeguards and stuff.

Quote:
They know enough to know that if one of the kids drown there will be hell to pay--for them, for their supervisor and for the pool. They've got one eye open.

Yeah, and another eye on *beep* and their mind wandering from some kind bud. Dude, its the crappy local suburban pool that a paraplegic would struggle to drown in, with a bunch of parents around. Not some Olympic sized facility on senior swim day where someone's pacemaker might give out. Obviously those lifeguards would be more on top of things.

Anyways, the point is the local kiddie wadding pool with 50 parents around, all of whom are incapable of drowning in that pool, is going to be staffed by 9 dollar an hour types who are likely stoned and looking to chat up the baby sitter/sibling in college. Never mind the entitled parents who snap at them for telling kids not to do certain things or the teenagers that come around and get in their face for telling em not to do certain stuff to the point where they just say "eff it. I'm not risking dealing with the cops or getting sued over this".

Anyone with half a clue about real life and had friends who lifeguarded in college at these joints knows what I'm talking about.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
atwood wrote:

atwood, I know you have it in your head that I'm somehow making up my life, but I'm not. Plenty of people, including myself, grew up on farms outside of the city, but were bused into school and later moved into the city when they turned 18, you know the age when people become lifeguards and stuff.

Quote:

Yeah, and another eye on *beep* and their mind wandering from some kind bud. Dude, its the crappy local suburban pool that a paraplegic would struggle to drown in, with a bunch of parents around. Not some Olympic sized facility on senior swim day where someone's pacemaker might give out. Obviously those lifeguards would be more on top of things.

Anyways, the point is the local kiddie wadding pool with 50 parents around, all of whom are incapable of drowning in that pool, is going to be staffed by 9 dollar an hour types who are likely stoned and looking to chat up the baby sitter/sibling in college. Never mind the entitled parents who snap at them for telling kids not to do certain things or the teenagers that come around and get in their face for telling em not to do certain stuff to the point where they just say "eff it. I'm not risking dealing with the cops or getting sued over this".

Anyone with half a clue about real life and had friends who lifeguarded in college at these joints knows what I'm talking about.

No the point is you're talking through your hat all the while denigrating anyone who would work for $9 an hour, which I'd bet is probably double what those Korean lifeguards are making.

You wouldn't have to keep slinging more shite, spinning stories about parents and teenagers, if you had a legitimate point.

Lifeguards are the lords of the pool and the beach; they're not backing down, no matter what kind of pool they're working at. They're not cowardly Koreans who are cowed by anyone older than them.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:

Lifeguards are the lords of the pool and the beach; they're not backing down, no matter what kind of pool they're working at. They're not cowardly Koreans who are cowed by anyone older than them.

Do you seriously believe that?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

So often when you post stuff like this, SR, I'm reminded that we grew up in very different places.

Honestly, safety is a massive industry/culture in Canada.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: