Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incheon meltdown? What is happening?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Xenephobia is on steroids in this country regardless of foreign gestures of friendship, and has been for centuries

Not all foreign gestures are those of friendship. Especially not over the centuries.

As far as it being on steroids, I think if it was truly on steroids, you'd see something more like "tolerant" Europe and the rise of the far-right with their dedicated anti-immigrant platforms and groups linked to Neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers.

Quote:
Nationalism and pure-blood theory is the only thing many ajosshis have left to hold onto, it is the foundation of their identity.

If you think the average ajosshi goes around talking about how "I am Korean and pure blooded" and not, "Let's get drunk tonight", "bills to pay", and "wife and kids to deal with", you're being delusional and paranoid.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Yaya wrote:
You have far lesser talented people who do well here just because they go with the flow and the like.

This extends to korean society as well.

Its part of the reason this culture has produced little inventiveness or originality. Real talent is viewed as threatening, and upstarts are dealt with before they can upset the social order. Maintaining the male-dominated hierarchy takes precedence over the well-being or advancement of society.

Yes, I agree that it extends to Korean society. Another thing is that expats who wanna fit in here often get as childishly petty and vindictive as regular Koreans. Rolling Eyes
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:

There is a difference between aggression and being assertive.

Being assertive is useful only in a country that values rationality and logic.

However you don't see Koreans having rational debates to solve problems whereby the most logical person wins.

Its more a case of whatever the most senior person says goes. Among people of a similar age, its whoever shouts loudest wins.

Korea is an aggressive country. It may be mostly passive aggressive, but its still extremely aggressive. That comes from competition and an inordinate focus on social status.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Lucas wrote:

However you don't see people having rational debates to solve problems whereby the most logical person wins.

Fixed it.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Lucas wrote:

However you don't see people having rational debates to solve problems whereby the most logical person wins.

Fixed it.

No you haven't. I've seen lots of people have rational debates to make decisions and solve problems.
I've never seen politicians back home do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHMrgwAuJ_U
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Lucas wrote:

Fixed it.

No you haven't. I've seen lots of people have rational debates to make decisions and solve problems.

No, just smoke crack while in drunken stupors. Or deny climate change and see Russia from their house. Or rant and rave about the Islamic Peril or the Chicoms taking over. Or give such words of wisdom as "Fool me once, shame on...you? Fool me twice..." or talk about Legitimate Rape. Or have links to holocaust deniers.

Politicians are idiots everywhere and public discourse follows them.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Lucas wrote:

Fixed it.

No, just smoke crack while in drunken stupors. Or deny climate change and see Russia from their house. Or rant and rave about the Islamic Peril or the Chicoms taking over. Or give such words of wisdom as "Fool me once, shame on...you? Fool me twice..." or talk about Legitimate Rape. Or have links to holocaust deniers.

Politicians are idiots everywhere and public discourse follows them.

I bet you really think isolated foolish politicians from your country is the same as the whole Blue House descending into a screaming and pushing match.
You've become full on dillusional.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... that's not the Blue House.
3DR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
3DR wrote:
I said "annyeonghaseyo" with a smile on my face.

You know what they did? They proceeded to smile, ask if I spoke Korean well, and gave us some soju, beer, and chicken and said good luck to us in our marriage.

You really want to spend your weekend acting like a mommy to every ajosshi in the street and the subway? Reassuring every random simpleton that foreigners are indeed human? Must have a lot of time on your hands.

If it involves free chicken and beer...then yes.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Um... that's not the Blue House.

I stand corrected. The Korean politicians acted in a way that embarrassed the whole nation in the parliament building.

As Chapparastique claimed:

Quote:
Its more a case of whatever the most senior person says goes. Among people of a similar age, its whoever shouts loudest wins.

Korea is an aggressive country. It may be mostly passive aggressive, but its still extremely aggressive. That comes from competition and an inordinate focus on social status.

Manic shouting more befitting of an infant - yes.

Aggression befitting an animal- yes.

Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

However you don't see Koreans having rational debates to solve problems whereby the most logical person wins.

Think of it like playing a game of chess, that is how you should deal with Koreans. Think 3-5 steps ahead, sacrifice the odd pawn here and there and you're golden.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:

Think of it like playing a game of chess, that is how you should deal with Koreans. Think 3-5 steps ahead, sacrifice the odd pawn here and there and you're golden.

Me take advice from you? haha dream on kiddo.

Yaya wrote:
Another thing is that expats who wanna fit in here often get as childishly petty and vindictive as regular

I have no desire to fit in, I'm here to teach basic manners to korean males over 45. Ie the ones that that behave like overgrown babies. I look on them with wondering pity and disdain.

jazzmaster wrote:
Manic shouting more befitting of an infant - yes.

Exactement. This society does not teach co-operation, it teaches competition.

There must always be a winner and a loser. Human interractions consist of either asslicking to placate those above you in the heirarchy, or putting others in their place to reinforce your status. Equality is an alien concept.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Me take advice from you? haha dream on kiddo.

Okay, keep fighting.

You may win the battle, but you wont win the war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VG1bj4Lj1Q
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:

I bet you really think isolated foolish politicians from your country is the same as the whole Blue House descending into a screaming and pushing match.
You've become full on dillusional.

Isolated? The Tea Party? FoxNews? You're delusional if you think rational discourse is what is the norm back home. And its not limited to the US. Look at France with the National Front becoming a legitimate party.

And sorry, its not Rob Ford that's the isolated part, its the fact that he's still polling in the 30% range and has an outside chance at re-election thanks to the other two candidates splitting the vote.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
And sorry, its not Rob Ford that's the isolated part, its the fact that he's still polling in the 30% range and has an outside chance at re-election thanks to the other two candidates splitting the vote.

I for one want him to be re-elected, because I'm not from Toronto. And the other candidates, the media, and liberals (I'm kind of a liberal, maybe a red-tory) are acting all elitist, and insinuating that a certain class of people shouldn't be in politics. That's probably why he appeals to a lot of people. He's just a guy with many faults, that many try to hide of themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: