Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferry Sinking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
The bounty on Yoo is up to 500 million now.

If you catch him you won't have to work at the hogwon anymore!

But would they find a reason NOT to pay a foreigner (or even a Korean for that matter)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stan Rogers



Joined: 20 Aug 2010

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:
The bounty on Yoo is up to 500 million now.

If you catch him you won't have to work at the hogwon anymore!

But would they find a reason NOT to pay a foreigner (or even a Korean for that matter)?


I'm sure they will pay. Governments print their own money you know.

I'm more interested in what Korean bounty hunters are like. I've never heard of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
atwood wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:
The bounty on Yoo is up to 500 million now.

If you catch him you won't have to work at the hogwon anymore!

But would they find a reason NOT to pay a foreigner (or even a Korean for that matter)?


I'm sure they will pay. Governments print their own money you know.

I'm more interested in what Korean bounty hunters are like. I've never heard of them.

The reason so many public school teachers are retiring is because they fear the government is going to renege on their severance pay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dairyairy



Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: South Korea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoo, the owner of the ferry, tried to get political asylum at an embassy in Seoul last week. The question is which embassy?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/06/116_158408.html
Quote:
Yoo Byung-eun, the owner of the sunken ferry Sewol who is currently on the run, sought political asylum at an embassy in Seoul last week but his request was rejected, the prosecution said Tuesday.

The prosecution refused to disclose which embassy Yoo approached out of concern that it could create a diplomatic row.

Yoo contacted the embassy through an unnamed aide to seek asylum. However, the embassy rejected the request because Yoo is a wanted criminal suspect.

"Yoo may insist that he is subject to religious and political persecution, but he can't be a refugee because he is just a criminal suspect who is believed to have embezzled 129.2 billion won ($126 million) from Chonghaejin Marine and other affiliates and evaded paying a huge amount of taxes. The charges have nothing to do with religion or politics," said a senior prosecutor at an unofficial briefing.

The prosecution asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to explain Yoo's status as a criminal suspect properly to all embassies in Korea.

It refused to reveal which and how many embassies or countries Yoo contacted for political asylum as well as information about the person who helped Yoo to do so. The prosecution only said that there only a few embassies were involved.

The prosecution on Monday raided Yoo's home in Yeomgok-dong, southern Seoul, seizing four vehicles ― two Mercedes Benz, one Land Rover Discovery and one Chevrolet Express ― and 16 paintings.

Regarding the possibility that Yoo might already have left the country, the prosecution said that together with the Coast Guard, they are doing their best not to let this happen.

In the meantime, the prosecution is expected to enter Geumsuwon, the stronghold of the Salvation Sect in Anseong, Gyeonggi Province, again in the near future.

The prosecution was issued a custody warrant for "Mother Kim," a female follower of the sect. She is known as the leader of the operation to hide Yoo ― raising funds for the fugitive, arranging places for him to hide and collecting information about operations by the prosecution and police.

It also summoned Cho Pyeong-soon, head of a Salvation Sect-controlled agricultural association, but he ignored the request. The prosecution said it will seek other ways to investigate his activities.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stan Rogers



Joined: 20 Aug 2010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have wanted posters stuck on the front door of my apt. The bounty is posted.

Who wants to organize a possy? I can get some horses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
Yoo, the owner of the ferry, tried to get political asylum at an embassy in Seoul last week. The question is which embassy?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/06/116_158408.html
Quote:
Yoo Byung-eun, the owner of the sunken ferry Sewol who is currently on the run, sought political asylum at an embassy in Seoul last week but his request was rejected, the prosecution said Tuesday.

The prosecution refused to disclose which embassy Yoo approached out of concern that it could create a diplomatic row.

Yoo contacted the embassy through an unnamed aide to seek asylum. However, the embassy rejected the request because Yoo is a wanted criminal suspect.

"Yoo may insist that he is subject to religious and political persecution, but he can't be a refugee because he is just a criminal suspect who is believed to have embezzled 129.2 billion won ($126 million) from Chonghaejin Marine and other affiliates and evaded paying a huge amount of taxes. The charges have nothing to do with religion or politics," said a senior prosecutor at an unofficial briefing.

The prosecution asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to explain Yoo's status as a criminal suspect properly to all embassies in Korea.

It refused to reveal which and how many embassies or countries Yoo contacted for political asylum as well as information about the person who helped Yoo to do so. The prosecution only said that there only a few embassies were involved.

The prosecution on Monday raided Yoo's home in Yeomgok-dong, southern Seoul, seizing four vehicles ― two Mercedes Benz, one Land Rover Discovery and one Chevrolet Express ― and 16 paintings.

Regarding the possibility that Yoo might already have left the country, the prosecution said that together with the Coast Guard, they are doing their best not to let this happen.

In the meantime, the prosecution is expected to enter Geumsuwon, the stronghold of the Salvation Sect in Anseong, Gyeonggi Province, again in the near future.

The prosecution was issued a custody warrant for "Mother Kim," a female follower of the sect. She is known as the leader of the operation to hide Yoo ― raising funds for the fugitive, arranging places for him to hide and collecting information about operations by the prosecution and police.

It also summoned Cho Pyeong-soon, head of a Salvation Sect-controlled agricultural association, but he ignored the request. The prosecution said it will seek other ways to investigate his activities.



It says he approached a few. It doesn't really matter which ones since they all turned him down.

I wonder whether the prosecutors contacted the embassies before or after they learned of his attempts. If before, then kudos. If after, it's just the same ol' same ol'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it was the French consulate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dairyairy



Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: South Korea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the French embassy. Yoo must have connections there and money hidden, maybe in Swiss bank accounts?

He also tried the Philippines and Canada.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2990163&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist2

Quote:


The head of the family that controlled the operator of the sunken ferry Sewol approached the Embassy of France in Seoul to seek political asylum but was rejected because he’s a fugitive criminal suspect.

The Incheon District Prosecutors’ Office said earlier this week that a middleman working for Yoo Byung-eun, the de facto owner of the operator of the Sewol, approached a foreign embassy for asylum, but which embassy was unknown until yesterday.

Yoo is on the country’s most wanted list for his alleged role in mismanaging the company that operated the doomed ferry.

Yoo has so far been one step ahead of the authorities since the sinking in what has become an elaborate game of cat and mouse.

Yoo Som-na, Yoo’s daughter, was living in France before she was arrested there last month. She is awaiting the results of extradition proceedings in France.

Yoo and his family are believed to have connections with prominent French artists, collectors and museum officials thanks to the patriarch’s exhibitions of his own photographs and other artistic endeavors and donations. Yoo’s artistic pseudonym is Ahae.

From June to August 2012, an exhibition of Yoo’s work titled “De ma Fenetre” (Through My Window) was held at a pavilion in the Tuileries Garden of Paris’s Louvre Museum.

Yoo invited prominent artists and museum authorities to the exhibit.

The Louvre engraved Yoo’s pseudonym on one of its walls as a token of appreciation for a donation reported to be 1.6 billion won ($1.56 million).

The tycoon was also the sole patron to fund the remodeling of the Bosquet du Theatre d’Eau (Water Theatre Grove) on the grounds of the Palace of Versailles. He donated more than 1 billion won to the theater. The official website of Versailles recognizes Yoo as a donor.

The question now is whether Yoo’s connections in France will help his daughter’s legal case. They didn’t seem to help his asylum bid. Local media outlets said Yoo’s middleman also made asylum enquiries at the embassies of the Philippines and Canada.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
optik404



Joined: 24 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What country would be crazy enough to grant him asylum. He should have asked poor countries, he might have had a chance. But I guess even he doesn't want to live there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should have skedaddled long ago. But he was probably betting this would either blow over or that he could bribe his way out of it.

Too much ego.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is getting really exciting.

Personally I'm in favor of penalizing the incompetent workers before their incompetence causes damage, but I guess after the fact is nice too. Go get em!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/07/116_160599.html

Quote:
The Sewol ferry disaster was the result of corruption and paid professionals neglecting their duties, according to a report from the state auditor.


More (unsurprising) details in the article.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chickenpie



Joined: 24 Dec 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a surprise!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byrddogs



Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/07/116_160599.html

Quote:
The Sewol ferry disaster was the result of corruption and paid professionals neglecting their duties, according to a report from the state auditor.


More (unsurprising) details in the article.


Sadly and unfortunately that is not surprising. Has anyone witnessed any noticeable difference in public safety measures in every day life since?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/07/116_160599.html

Quote:
The Sewol ferry disaster was the result of corruption and paid professionals neglecting their duties, according to a report from the state auditor.


More (unsurprising) details in the article.


Sadly and unfortunately that is not surprising. Has anyone witnessed any noticeable difference in public safety measures in every day life since?

They tested the emergency signal where I work, but no fire drill followed.

I may have noticed a few more signs here and there. I had never noticed the detailed instructions for how to use a fire extinguisher as part of Megabox's exit strategy video, but I can't say for sure that was new.

Other than that, no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International