Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public pool supervision / lack thereof
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend and I went swimming at a bay here once and decided to swim out to some rocks a bit further out. Three or four hundreds metres I'm guessing. We didn't go far before the whistles started blowing, but what were they going to do? We pretended we couldn't hear them and kept going, chilled at those rocks for a while then swam back. Some old people applauded us on our return.
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
atwood wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
atwood wrote:

Lifeguards are the lords of the pool and the beach; they're not backing down, no matter what kind of pool they're working at. They're not cowardly Koreans who are cowed by anyone older than them.

Do you seriously believe that?

That's why they get the hot chicks, bra.

Watch this and learn a little something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oIZ45Coo9k

Yes, because if there is one thing that describes cheesy 70s educational videos, its that they tell it EXACTLY the way it is.

Quote:
"I saw Korean lifeguards not paying attention at the pool today with my own two eyes."

"Well, right now every single lifeguard in the US is stoned and hitting on a girl and not even at their post. ANOTHER WIN FOR KOREA!"

You're missing the point, its that this isn't something unique to Korea that people might try to make it out to be. This is something that tends to happen with 19 year olds watching the kiddy pool the world over.

Quote:
By the way, a lifeguard in North America being high on the job or not paying attention would be a pretty big scandal, especially when kids are involved. With twitter and whatnot, a sleeping lifeguard at a beach or pool would make it around the world before he woke up and got fired.

Were any of your friends stoners back home? Did any become lifeguards?

Just because it would be a big scandal, doesn't mean it doesn't go on all the time. You think the guy out driving on the road and delivering your pizzas while driving through your suburban neighborhood where kids play isn't stoned? Or 90% of the staff at your restaurant that you worry about getting food-borne illness at isn't stoned?

Anyone who knows the scene back home knows that ALL KINDS of people get high, many at work.

And anyone who knows our lawsuit culture knows that parents freak out if you stare at their kids too long, freak out if you try to discipline them while taking them out to the pool, and that teens are openly disrespectful of authority, especially when its some 19 year old saying it.

Quote:
To bring up a fictional/comedy tv show

What everyone who has seen that show and appreciated it has said- "I know people like that". Every one of the characters, someone can point to an equivalent person in their life, to a degree. There has to be a reason in caught on- truth is at the heart of comedy. You think there aren't a bunch of people working low paying jobs, like lifeguarding, who smoke weed?

Now, I'm not saying I know Canada as well as you, but I do know stoners, and Canada has a fair share of stoners. I also know people who work low paying jobs, deal with parents and kids, and teenagers (having been one), put all those together, which makes up the typical lifeguard, and yeah- hitting on chicks, getting stoned as you sit there through the job, trying to keep order while not getting sued, and yes, making sure no one drops dead on your shift.

As for Rob Ford, if safety was indeed priority #1 in Canada, he wouldn't be pulling 30%.

Now I agree that in legitimate enterprises and government, safety is probably a huge priority and at the top of the chain, more so than Korea by far. But that doesn't mean that lurking underneath is a bunch of people who really don't give that much of a crap.

Anyways, people are free to try and convince themselves that the $9/hr. teenage lifeguard back home is 100% not under the influence of drugs and is maintaining constant vigilance, totally not oggling chicks or zoning out behind his sunglasses.

That requires as much mental disconnect as believing your local Korean bus driver has your safety as a top priority and is not hungover on soju.

And you're free to keep insisting on what is obviously a falsified description of U.S. lifeguards. If you want to publicize your ignorance, that's your business.

The video I linked to was not educational, although it was based in fact. I guess that all went over your head.

Nine dollars an hour isn't all that bad for a part-time job. I realize to an ex-convenience clerk like yourself it might seem like peanuts, but if I were a high school or college student I wouldn't sneeze at it.

And there are lifeguards who are actual city employees and who make a living at it.

The mental disconnect here is between you and reality.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me when you talk about stuff you obviously know so little about. Just because you equate tv with real life, does not make it so.

No doubt you watch tv shows and see ppl you know in them. Me, I watch tv shows and laugh at the absurdity of them - the extreme nature of the characters.

Simple question for ya, SR - how many times have you been in a Canadian swimming pool?

If none, please STFU about them.

Stick with what you know.

Well, actually I'd go to Stratford in Ontario every summer as a child for the Shakepeare festival and the hotel would have a pool.

That being said point taken, however I think my point wasn't about Canadian swimming pools, but about people in Canada who smoke weed and don't put safety as priority number one. Guessing there's a sizable number out there who fit into one or both of those.

Quote:
And you're free to keep insisting on what is obviously a falsified description of U.S. lifeguards. I

My falsified impression comes from my actual friends who were actual lifeguards.

What, do you think firefighters don't do drugs or get hookers while on the job either? Do you think the police always obey the law? Do you think no teacher could possibly be on drugs or a boozer? Truck drivers all completely regulated when it comes to sleep?

But hey, don't take my word for it, take reality's word for it

Catch one? Means 10 more are doing it who haven't been caught
http://gothamist.com/2011/07/17/lifeguard_late_to_shift_pulled_over.php

http://brokelyn.com/scandal-6-rockaway-beach-lifeguards-caught-acting-like-lifeguards/

http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/938596-lifeguard-drug-testing.html

https://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/lifeguards-swimmers-ignored-drowned-womans-body-for-days-2504396.html

Yes, these certainly sound like vigilant, civic-minded individuals who understand that they are the thin red line between us and aquatic disaster.

Just google lifeguard + drug test and see what you come up with.

Quote:
Nine dollars an hour isn't all that bad for a part-time job.

Maybe for your first one at 18-19. After that you should try and get something that pays $15, like waiting or pizza delivery, or caddying.
goat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Steelrails

Are you a GYOPO?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:
@ Steelrails

Are you a GYOPO?

@goat

Are you validating people's opinions based upon their ethnicity?
goat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
goat wrote:
@ Steelrails

Are you a GYOPO?

@goat

I don't validate opinions based on ethnicity. Are you sensitive about your situation?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me when you talk about stuff you obviously know so little about. Just because you equate tv with real life, does not make it so.

No doubt you watch tv shows and see ppl you know in them. Me, I watch tv shows and laugh at the absurdity of them - the extreme nature of the characters.

Simple question for ya, SR - how many times have you been in a Canadian swimming pool?

If none, please STFU about them.

Stick with what you know.

Well, actually I'd go to Stratford in Ontario every summer as a child for the Shakepeare festival and the hotel would have a pool.

That being said point taken, however I think my point wasn't about Canadian swimming pools, but about people in Canada who smoke weed and don't put safety as priority number one. Guessing there's a sizable number out there who fit into one or both of those.

To be honest, the stoners I knew would never become life guards - the application process was just too arduous. Much easier to pump gas or something. Being a life guard meant having a fair number of certifications and such... and stoners usually shy away from extra classes. lol
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
Nine dollars an hour isn't all that bad for a part-time job.

Maybe for your first one at 18-19. After that you should try and get something that pays $15, like waiting or pizza delivery, or caddying.

Again, I never brought up Korea vs other places. But since YOU did:
At the time I did my training in Ontario, Canada, the starting rate for lifeguards was $18/hour, and you could make up to $25/hour after a year or two. Minimum wage was about $8/hour at the time IIRC.

There was massive competition for the jobs because it was the best paying job a young person could get. And the people who got them took it very seriously because
A) they were responsible for other people's safety
B) they were making bank and there was a line out the door of people to replace them should they be fired (for which grounds were plentiful)

And the Stratford Shakespeare Festival is pretty fantastic, that's cool you were able to check it out every year.
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a lifeguard, had friends who were lifeguards, dated lifeguards and none of them were getting stoned on the job.

Yea, these guys are all stoners:

http://www.usla.org/?page=nationalsresults

As for pizza delivery wages:
Quote:
These workers earned a median wage of $10.95 an hour or $22,770 a year as of May 2011, according to the BLS. The lowest-paid 10 percent made $8.01 an hour, while the highest-paid 10 percent earned $21.98 or more. However, because pizza delivery drivers earn tips and may be classified as wait staff by a restaurant, their actual hourly wages may be much lower than that.

And then you have to use your own car, so there's wear and tear on it, maintenance and the smell.

Waiters' pay will of course vary depending on the restaurant. The type of place where you can really earn isn't going to typically hire part-timers.

So lifeguards in the U.S. don't do jack, nor do firefighters or police officers. None of them are professionals who wear their uniforms with pride.

Yea, right.

How about the Korean military which you keep defending as quite professional? How about the guy at the Blue House firing his gun accidentally because he didn't even know it was loaded and then his CO covering it up? If it got reported once, then it happened another 10 times without getting reported, right?

That's not an army--that's a gang that can't shoot straight.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
goat wrote:
@ Steelrails

Are you a GYOPO?

@goat

I don't validate opinions based on ethnicity. Are you sensitive about your situation?

I dunno, are you sensitive about mine? You are the one who brought it up

Atwood ill get to u after work.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, even if every lifeguard who ever worked in the US was stoned what the hell does it have to do with the OP? I am genuinely confused.

Could you imagine the inverse SteelRails? Like a guy in the US who compared everything you ever said to Korea?

"Man, traffic was bad today."
"TRAFFIC IS JUST AS BAD IN KOREA!"

"My neighbours had a party last night and kept me up till 2am!"
"KOREANS ARE LOUDER!"

"Did you hear about that tornado that hit Oklahoma?"
"IN 1973 MORE KOREANS DIED IN A TYPHOON!"

"That latest shooting reminds me that our country has a problem with gun violence."
"THERE WAS ONE SHOOTING IN KOREA SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND THEREFORE GUNS ARE NOT A PROBLEM IN THE USA!"

"This guy was talking loudly during the movie. It was really annoying."
"EVERY SINGLE PERSON TALKS LOUDLY DURING THE MOVIES IN KOREA, SO THEREFORE YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE ANNOYED, YOU ANTI-AMERICAN TRASH!"

"The lifeguards at the beach weren't paying attention today which I find unacceptable."
"EVERY SINGLE LIFEGUARD WHO HAS EVER WORKED IN KOREA HAS BEEN STONED, SO THEREFORE IF YOUR CHILD WOULD HAVE DIED TODAY DUE TO THEIR NEGLIGENCE IT WOULD HAVE MEANT NOTHING! ALSO, WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?!"

Could anyone here imagine hanging out with someone like that?
yfb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
goat wrote:
@ Steelrails

Are you a GYOPO?

@goat

Who else would come riding on their personal chollima and whine "B-but OTHER countries do it too! Stop attacking Korea!" when the OP wasn't implying anything? I'd imagine there's not too many Koreaboos on this site. So that leaves the Gyopos
3DR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yfb wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
goat wrote:
@ Steelrails

Are you a GYOPO?

@goat

Who else would come riding on their personal chollima and whine "B-but OTHER countries do it too! Stop attacking Korea!" when the OP wasn't implying anything? I'd imagine there's not too many Koreaboos on this site. So that leaves the Gyopos

The only time this argument is used is when people are actually implying that said behavior is a uniquely Korean thing.

You might have a point except for the OP's statement of:

"And these (I want to use the word 'clowns' but that's somewhat loaded here) twits are going to be AT BEST 15s-30s slow responding. "
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
I'm sorry, even if every lifeguard who ever worked in the US was stoned what the hell does it have to do with the OP? I am genuinely confused.

Could you imagine the inverse SteelRails? Like a guy in the US who compared everything you ever said to Korea?

"Man, American traffic was bad today. Back home in Korea its not like this."
"TRAFFIC IS JUST AS BAD IN KOREA!"
"Why are you bringing up other countries, we're talking about America!!!"

"My American neighbours had a party last night and kept me up till 2am! Don't people in this country have any concept of noise?"
"KOREANS ARE LOUDER!"

"Did you hear about that tornado that hit Oklahoma? Why aren't Americans better prepared for disaster?"
"IN 1973 MORE KOREANS DIED IN A TYPHOON!"

"That latest shooting reminds me that American people have a problem with gun violence. Their culture is so backwards, bunch of savages."
"THERE WAS ONE SHOOTING IN KOREA SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND THEREFORE GUNS ARE NOT A PROBLEM IN THE USA!"

"This American was talking loudly during the movie. It was really annoying. Typical American culture- no consideration."
"EVERY SINGLE PERSON TALKS LOUDLY DURING THE MOVIES IN KOREA, SO THEREFORE YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE ANNOYED, YOU ANTI-AMERICAN TRASH!"

"The American lifeguards at the beach weren't paying attention today which I find unacceptable. This country doesn't value safety like back home."
"EVERY SINGLE LIFEGUARD WHO HAS EVER WORKED IN KOREA HAS BEEN STONED, SO THEREFORE IF YOUR CHILD WOULD HAVE DIED TODAY DUE TO THEIR NEGLIGENCE IT WOULD HAVE MEANT NOTHING! ALSO, WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?!"

The bigotry in this country is appalling. Bunch of racists. By the way, have you checked out the blog Pigisms-Life in Pigland? Great social commentary there that tells it like it is.

Could anyone here imagine hanging out with someone like that?

You're not telling the complete story BC. The comments aren't phrased like that. They invariably use the word "Korean" and often take the forms of rants and raves, not carefully considered questions.
cabeza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

You're not telling the complete story BC. The comments aren't phrased like that. They invariably use the word "Korean" and often take the forms of rants and raves, not carefully considered questions.

To be fair, no one mentioned anything about Korea until you arrived.

The original post sentence:

Quote:
I want to slap the lifeguards at my local pool.

They're always on their phones, and more often than not with earphones or headphones on. And they sit with their backs to the wading pool where the kids play, and I've never once seen them turn around.

His local pool lifeguards suck. Not Korean lifeguards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: