Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quite the Ruse...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT...out of simple curiously, what is your focus of study in graduate school?

That may be something to build on.
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:

I am in graduate school, I have published articles, etc. We share our work. This is my field, this is what I study and what I do for my work, I have my own coat tails as it were.

So let me ask you, as a peer, why exactly is Nobama so terrible?

Facts, "are stubborn things", Leon. However, I am not convinced, based on your posting history, that you would recognize a fact if it were giving you a hand job.

And, as a graduate student with articles published, I would assume, that you would be able to read between the lines. Besides, I paid to share ideas...and I will not share academia with someone who will not listen (in the arena of the internet).

I have no intentions of changing your mind, whatever stance it may be. Nor am I interested in your academic trophies. I have mine, as subtle as they may be...in fact, they are few.

If you wish to bring out the measuring stick, than I will give you the victory.

Nobama is terrible because trueblue is a graduate student and he says so. Ok, I guess I read through the lines. No need for hostility, everyone is just here for discourse, correct? In a way, you could look at this like a sharpen up your reasoning through Socratic dialogue.
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
In a way, you could look at this like a sharpen up your reasoning through Socratic dialogue.

Hah! If conversation with you is a Socratic dialogue, then it's the Gorgias, starring Leon as Callicles.
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Leon wrote:
In a way, you could look at this like a sharpen up your reasoning through Socratic dialogue.

Hah! If conversation with you is a Socratic dialogue, then it's the Gorgias, starring Leon as Callicles.

What an erudite crowd we have when one can be put down by a reference to the Gorgias dialogue. Lest there be any confusion, let me go on record as not sharing the views of Callicles in the Gorgias dialogue. It is nice, however, to go from talking about Nobama and unwillingness to share academic insights to ancient Greek thought, even if it is at my expense.
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I more had his style of discourse than his specific opinions in mind when I made the comparison -- specifically the, "No matter how many of my points you show to be questionable, I'm not changing my mind," approach -- but I was also just giving you a hard time.
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I more had his style of discourse than his specific opinions in mind when I made the comparison -- specifically the, "No matter how many of my points you show to be questionable, I'm not changing my mind," approach -- but I was also just giving you a hard time.

Yes I know. That's fair enough, I was giving Trueblue a hard time, and my reply was meant to give you a hard time as well, maybe not successfully. Every day that goes by I am finding that my mind is made up about less and less things, quite a frustrating phenomenon. Didn't I just recently admit that I was very wrong about India? In Callicles's defense, his very first line of the dialogue is perhaps one of the wisest in the entire piece.

Callicles: The wise man, as the proverb says, is late for a fray, but not for a feast.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Leon wrote:

Shocked

Uncalled for!
J Rock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Fox wrote:

Yes I know. That's fair enough, I was giving Trueblue a hard time, and my reply was meant to give you a hard time as well, maybe not successfully. Every day that goes by I am finding that my mind is made up about less and less things, quite a frustrating phenomenon. Didn't I just recently admit that I was very wrong about India? In Callicles's defense, his very first line of the dialogue is perhaps one of the wisest in the entire piece.

Callicles: The wise man, as the proverb says, is late for a fray, but not for a feast.

You guys are making me feel dumb, I have no idea who or what you're talking about.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

As to power plays in D.C..... A well placed bunker bomb on Capital Hill when congress is in session (or better yet during a joint session) would do the country a world of good.

That's a hell of a thing to say. Even if you were being facetious. What do you care anyway? America isn't even your home anymore and probably never will be again.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Quite the ruse" is a silly title that does not clearly indicate the actual content of the thread.

Either people will click on the thread out of curiosity and then be disappointed to find it is about domestic american politics (hence you've wasted people's time) or they won't click on it at all because there is nothing indicated in the title to be of interest.

I suggest you take courses in basic english composition.

Last edited by Chaparrastique on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Rock wrote:
You guys are making me feel dumb, I have no idea who or what you're talking about.

I don't think there's anything dumb about incidentally not having read a certain work of literature.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Rock wrote:
Leon wrote:

Heh heh heh.....Callilces.... Shocked
yodanole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been in Korea illegally .....
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suggest you take courses in basic english composition

I suggest you take a shot, followed with 1mg of Klonopin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: