Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Korean Blackface Comedy Gold
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education - or lack thereof.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest gripe with this is not the supposed level of sophistication or 'class', but the fact that Koreans like to dish it out but never take it.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember 2 years ago when a ton of Koreans threw a huge fit when a server at Starbucks labeled their cups with two slanty eyes.

Funny how they throw a fit over some teenager working at a Starbucks but don't see the problem with a state run TV station doing this....again.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not only Koreans that are doing it.

A well known writer , Ill just call him 'rager', who writes a blog about hiking in Korea and who has published a book about it, recently published a short article where he referred to the Japanese as 'Simian like'.
He has obviously spent so much time with Koreans, that their funny little quirks have been rubbing off onto him. When I challenged him about it, he didnt seem to think there was anything wrong with his statement.

It seems will-full ignorance is also contagious.
T-J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://screen.yahoo.com/word-association-000000441.html
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Blackface aside, is this stuff funny? The audience is in stitches. A sense of humor matters and is an element of intelligence. Simple people laugh at simple things. Where is the Korean Carlin, Hicks,Stanhope, etc etc...

Higher Korean comedy usually is in film and tends to be much more wry, dry, and dark. Also, a lot of the intelligent word play comedy that crops up is hard for non-Korean speakers to pick up and recognize.

Anyways, saying taste in comedy equates to intelligence and character is the same as people who say taste in music equates to those things. As someone who has known good, smart people who had banal tastes in music and comedy and idiots and scoundrels who had good taste in music and comedy, I've learned that people who judge others on such things one way or the other are the real peawits.

That being said, for simply hanging out and having beers, people who like good music and comedy are of course generally better than those that don't. And gag concert is not one of those.

Quote:
My biggest gripe with this is not the supposed level of sophistication or 'class', but the fact that Koreans like to dish it out but never take it.

I think this is the far better take rather than the "Why don't they have the same revulsion to blackface that we do" take.
optik404

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

A well known writer , Ill just call him 'rager', who writes a blog about hiking in Korea and who has published a book about it, recently published a short article where he referred to the Japanese as 'Simian like'.
He has obviously spent so much time with Koreans, that their funny little quirks have been rubbing off onto him. When I challenged him about it, he didnt seem to think there was anything wrong with his statement.

A guy posts a blog calling the Japanese Simian like and you have a problem with it?

But the Klownisms blog you're ok with?
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
le-paul wrote:

A guy posts a blog calling the Japanese Simian like and you have a problem with it?

But the Klownisms blog you're ok with?

well, theres a slight difference between saying something is willingly messed up (ie a country) and calling an entire race 'gorillas' because of their looks, dont you think?
Besides, one of the main reasons I dislike Koreans is that kind of childish, prejudice and name calling - so 'yes' would be the answer to that question.

I openly dislike koreans as a rule, and i certainly dont try to hide it from anyone. I have many reasons for this. That being said however, their faces, bodies, hair colour, skin colour, eye shape, smell, language or even their fashion styles are not something I would purposefully pick fault with.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

I openly dislike koreans as a rule, and i certainly dont try to hide it from anyone. I have many reasons for this. That being said however, their faces, bodies, hair colour, skin colour, eye shape, smell, language or even their fashion styles are not something I would purposefully pick fault with.

"Korean men have the perfect face for fisticuffs"

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=233212

Not saying you do the following, but for the people who might be outraged at the anti-Japanese article or even the blackface bit, do they not joke about Koreans smelling of garlic or kimchi? No comments on konglish or the way they stress words? Fashion choices? "size" jokes? Physical build?

Quote:
and calling an entire race 'gorillas' because of their looks, dont you think?
Besides, one of the main reasons I dislike Koreans is that kind of childish, prejudice and name calling

If you are going to make this point, defending that blog might not be the best way to do it. Try to at least halfway acknowledge that both might be related and come from a similar place of hate. Actually while the Koreans are certainly mocking, they at least aren't being hateful. That blog is being both mocking AND hateful.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, a writer for the Korea Times worth reading. I'm guessing he's lived abroad and knows that this kind of stuff is completely unacceptable. I also like the quote near the bottom where he trashes Korean comedy style, replacing slapstick for intelligence.

Steelrails, you are a bore of the highest order.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
I remember 2 years ago when a ton of Koreans threw a huge fit when a server at Starbucks labeled their cups with two slanty eyes.

Funny how they throw a fit over some teenager working at a Starbucks but don't see the problem with a state run TV station doing this....again.

Um... when/where was this? I take it not in Korea?
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
le-paul wrote:

"Korean men have the perfect face for fisticuffs"

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=233212

Not saying you do the following, but for the people who might be outraged at the anti-Japanese article or even the blackface bit, do they not joke about Koreans smelling of garlic or kimchi? No comments on konglish or the way they stress words? Fashion choices? "size" jokes? Physical build?

Quote:
and calling an entire race 'gorillas' because of their looks, dont you think?
Besides, one of the main reasons I dislike Koreans is that kind of childish, prejudice and name calling

If you are going to make this point, defending that blog might not be the best way to do it. Try to at least halfway acknowledge that both might be related and come from a similar place of hate. Actually while the Koreans are certainly mocking, they at least aren't being hateful. That blog is being both mocking AND hateful.

sorry, nice try, but saying a human of Mongolian ancestry that has evolved a certain shaped face which is perfectly adapted to withstand physical force inflicted by other humans, is not picking fault. It is a scientific fact and wasn't mocking at the time, nor now either. In the article, scientists described a certain shaped face - that face was almost perfectly Mongolian. Koreans as we know, are. Mongolian/Japon in ancestry.

So let me re iterate for your brain, which seems to have evolved in a way that jumps about trying to find a convenient loophole, before you write a tirade without addressing what another poster wrote.

Stating something is evolution (for example a person has a flat bridge on their nose) and this may have come about through a violent past - which scientists are speculating about currently - is not racist.

Nor is talking about redheads being less susceptible to pain. Its not a red head joke.

Saying someone looks like a monkey - is racist and puerile.
Making rubber lip jokes etc. on national tv is racist, highly offensive, unacceptable, draconian and showing weak character/ low undeveloped wit.

And yes, the blog is hateful, but its also uncensored. If this site and facebook wernt censored/moderated you'd probably find that everywhere people were writing complaints about korean behaviour constantly - often similar to that blog. Its because you never see it except at that blog, that you think its unnatural to feel dislike for the constant barrage of greed, selfishness and ignorance that people experience here.

Thats not racist either - its a natural reaction to something offending your moral being and sensibilities, which any rational human would have.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

I remember reading about this in the US... I dont think it got any play here in Korea.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
mr_thehorse wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

I remember reading about this in the US... I dont think it got any play here in Korea.

Obviously it wasn't in Korea. Why would a Korean server draw slanty eyes on another Koreans cup? And yes it did get quite a bit of play over here. There was talk of boycotting the Starbucks here and there were even articles about it in the children's school magazines they make them read in school saying how Koreans have recently come under attack etc. This as back in 2012 I believe.

By play I meant the news cycle here. I probably missed it. Interesting. Can you find a link to this?
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past Gag Concert used to be much better.

Darin
Gamsu sa
Namja/Yeoja
Eorini Time

I guess Four Men was pretty funny too, mostly Kim Junhyun

Currently just Hidden Masters is funny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: