Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another dead to American gun crime!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Another dead to American gun crime! Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/14/archie-andrews-will-die-taking-bullet-for-gay-friend-comic-publisher-says/

RIP
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Archie comics have been in a steady decline since they went all activist in the 90s anyway. Should have killed him earlier.
Titus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Archie Andrews will die taking a bullet for his gay best friend.

The famous freckle-faced comic book icon is meeting his demise in Wednesday's installment of "Life with Archie" when he intervenes in an assassination attempt on Kevin Keller, Archie Comics' first openly gay character. Andrews' death, which was first announced in April, will mark the conclusion of the series that focuses on grown-up renditions of Andrews and his Riverdale pals.

"The way in which Archie dies is everything that you would expect of Archie," said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics publisher and co-CEO. "He dies heroically. He dies selflessly. He dies in the manner that epitomizes not only the best of Riverdale but the best of all of us. It's what Archie has come to represent over the past almost 75 years."

Keller's character first joined Veronica Lodge, Betty Cooper, Jughead Jones and Reggie Mantle in the Archie Comics spin-off "Veronica" in 2010. He later appeared in his own solo title. In "Life with Archie," Keller is a married military veteran and newly elected senator who's pushing for more gun control in Riverdale after his husband was involved in a shooting.

What a fking weird culture this has become.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random news tidbit not a reflection of wider cultural trends, say scientists, people with sense.
Titus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wider cultural trends:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/opinion/thomas-edsall-a-shift-in-young-democrats-values.html?_r=0
Quote:
There is a striking generational split in the Democratic electorate.

This deepening division is apparent in a June Pew Research Center survey of more than 10,000 people, “Beyond Red vs. Blue.” The Pew survey points up the emergence of a cohort of younger voters who are loyal to the Democratic Party, but much less focused on economic redistribution than on issues of personal and sexual autonomy. …

A 56 percent majority of the younger group of Democrats believes that “Wall Street helps the American economy more than it hurts,” with just 36 percent believing that Wall Street hurts the economy. Older Democrats have almost exactly the opposite view. 56 percent believe that Wall Street hurts the economy; 36 percent believe it helps.

ie the strategy of gay everywhere all the time has succeeded in convincing an entire generation that gay everywhere all the time is an important thing and our pockets will be picked again and again and again. Or do average people not understand the concept of a strategy? Actually, I don't think they do. Never mind.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Quote:
Archie Andrews will die taking a bullet for his gay best friend.

The famous freckle-faced comic book icon is meeting his demise in Wednesday's installment of "Life with Archie" when he intervenes in an assassination attempt on Kevin Keller, Archie Comics' first openly gay character. Andrews' death, which was first announced in April, will mark the conclusion of the series that focuses on grown-up renditions of Andrews and his Riverdale pals.

"The way in which Archie dies is everything that you would expect of Archie," said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics publisher and co-CEO. "He dies heroically. He dies selflessly. He dies in the manner that epitomizes not only the best of Riverdale but the best of all of us. It's what Archie has come to represent over the past almost 75 years."

Keller's character first joined Veronica Lodge, Betty Cooper, Jughead Jones and Reggie Mantle in the Archie Comics spin-off "Veronica" in 2010. He later appeared in his own solo title. In "Life with Archie," Keller is a married military veteran and newly elected senator who's pushing for more gun control in Riverdale after his husband was involved in a shooting.

What a fking weird culture this has become.

Jay Mohr was being interviewed about the hottest topics on his sports show- Was it the draft? LeBron? Derek Jeter? Nope, "Race and Gay" were all people wanted to talk about he said.
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Random news tidbit not a reflection of wider cultural trends, say scientists, people with sense.

This one seems to be. This is like the third thing I've heard recently about comic books vigorously pushing this kind of thing. Some comic (I think it was X-Men) had an actual gay marriage in it some time back, and I also remember hearing that the people behind Batwoman wanted her to have a gay marriage in the comic but the company wouldn't let them go any further than a gay proposal, so they threw a tantrum. And this is just the stuff that has randomly popped up in my news aggregator application.

When this kind of thing is topical, it's fine. I remember in the comic book Watchmen that there was a lesbian superhero, and in the comic book V for Vendetta there was a major scene which revolved around a lesbian romance. Each was fine, they made sense given the themes that those particular works were exploring. But when you randomly inject gay marriage politics into X-Men? Or Archie? I don't think it's unfair to say that it's indicative of certain cultural trends.
Kuros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Wider cultural trends:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/opinion/thomas-edsall-a-shift-in-young-democrats-values.html?_r=0
Quote:
There is a striking generational split in the Democratic electorate.

This deepening division is apparent in a June Pew Research Center survey of more than 10,000 people, “Beyond Red vs. Blue.” The Pew survey points up the emergence of a cohort of younger voters who are loyal to the Democratic Party, but much less focused on economic redistribution than on issues of personal and sexual autonomy. …

A 56 percent majority of the younger group of Democrats believes that “Wall Street helps the American economy more than it hurts,” with just 36 percent believing that Wall Street hurts the economy. Older Democrats have almost exactly the opposite view. 56 percent believe that Wall Street hurts the economy; 36 percent believe it helps.

ie the strategy of gay everywhere all the time has succeeded in convincing an entire generation that gay everywhere all the time is an important thing and our pockets will be picked again and again and again. Or do average people not understand the concept of a strategy? Actually, I don't think they do. Never mind.

You've gone off the rails, Titus. What do gay rights have to do with Wall Street?

Almost nothing.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Plutocracy uses identity politics as a means to distract people from their economic interests. It has worked.
r2b2ct

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Kuros wrote:

This one seems to be. This is like the third thing I've heard recently about comic books vigorously pushing this kind of thing. Some comic (I think it was X-Men) had an actual gay marriage in it some time back, and I also remember hearing that the people behind Batwoman wanted her to have a gay marriage in the comic but the company wouldn't let them go any further than a gay proposal, so they threw a tantrum. And this is just the stuff that has randomly popped up in my news aggregator application.

When this kind of thing is topical, it's fine. I remember in the comic book Watchmen that there was a lesbian superhero, and in the comic book V for Vendetta there was a major scene which revolved around a lesbian romance. Each was fine, they made sense given the themes that those particular works were exploring. But when you randomly inject gay marriage politics into X-Men? Or Archie? I don't think it's unfair to say that it's indicative of certain cultural trends.

The X-men gay wedding seemed to me to be relevant to the main themes of X-men.
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r2b2ct wrote:

People who are different being able to circumvent the scorn of society through court action, culminating in a feel good celebration of pride seems like the exact opposite of X-Men's foundational themes to me. The characters in question being endlessly persecuted because they are gay, with no real relief in sight, would actually be a better fit, and would probably be better social commentary as well. Not that a mainstream comic needs to be dumping identity politics on children in the first place.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:

People who are different being able to circumvent the scorn of society through court action, culminating in a feel good celebration of pride seems like the exact opposite of X-Men's foundational themes to me. The characters in question being endlessly persecuted because they are gay, with no real relief in sight, would actually be a better fit, and would probably be better social commentary as well. Not that a mainstream comic needs to be dumping identity politics on children in the first place.

Supposedly the X-Men movies were some secret parable about gay people, and the director was gay, so maybe.

The Archie stuff, it makes sense from a marketing perspective. I didn't know they still made them, and would not have known if they didn't pull some stunt like this.
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

The Archie stuff, it makes sense from a marketing perspective. I didn't know they still made them, and would not have known if they didn't pull some stunt like this.

Back when I lived in the States, I remember there being Archie comics in the impulse purchase shelves in front of nearly every grocery store cash register in town. Was that just a Wisconsin thing? Because I thought, perhaps erroneously, that that was how Archie comics were generally distributed. It's certainly why I know of them (though admittedly I've never purchased one).
r2b2ct

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:

Where did you get the idea that the X-men subplot was about the couple circumventing the scorn of society through court action? Or gay pride?

Seriously, do you know anything about it other than that there are gay people?
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Leon wrote:

Back when I lived in the States, I remember there being Archie comics in the impulse purchase shelves in front of nearly every grocery store cash register in town. Was that just a Wisconsin thing? Because I thought, perhaps erroneously, that that was how Archie comics were generally distributed. It's certainly why I know of them (though admittedly I've never purchased one).

I know they were there when I was a kid, in North Carolina, and I bought maybe two of them in my life. It has been a really long time since I've seen them. It has been a long time since you were back in the states, though, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: