Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Application Questions-Process

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chavezc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Application Questions-Process Reply with quote

1) Are the college diploma and the FBI background check the only ones that need to be apostilled?

2) If I do a LifeScan for the FBI background check, what documents do I need when I go to do this?

3) What happens (next) once I have all my documents: apostilled diploma, apostilled FBI background check, transcript, passport...

4) While I am waiting for all the required documents, do I start contacting the agencies?

5) Is there a thread where there is a list of the best agencies.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Application Questions-Process Reply with quote

chavezc wrote:
1) Are the college diploma and the FBI background check the only ones that need to be apostilled?

2) If I do a LifeScan for the FBI background check, what documents do I need when I go to do this?

3) What happens (next) once I have all my documents: apostilled diploma, apostilled FBI background check, transcript, passport...

4) While I am waiting for all the required documents, do I start contacting the agencies?

5) Is there a thread where there is a list of the best agencies.

1) yes

2)

3) apply for jobs. Find one you like. Get a contract. Send your documents to Korea. Get a visa confirmation number. Go to the embassy/consulate and get a visa. Get on a plane.

4) Only if you want to get put on ignore lists. Wait until you have your documents in hand.

5) All of them and none of them.

wrote:
use both but be aware of what a recruiter is, what they do, and importantly - what they do not do.

They are all good and they are all bad.

Every recruiter out there has some happy customers and some who are not happy for any number of reasons.

BUT

They are an introduction to a potential employer that you yourself would not otherwise be able to find.

Then, if they are any good at their job (individually, not the firm), they guide you through the placement and assist with the paperwork necessary to get you as far as the employer.

They are NOT your friend.
They do NOT work for you (they are paid for and work for the employer).

They are like a used car salesman.
You walk onto their car-lot (website), peruse the cars (available jobs), if you see one you like you inquire about it.

After you listen to the sales pitch you let YOUR mechanic have a look at it (due diligence checking out the school).

If it is all good then you make the offer (accept the contract) and complete the sale (begin the paperwork for your visa application).

A good salesman will ensure that the paperwork is in order to make the sale and allow you to register the car. (A good recruiter will make sure your paperwork is in order and help get you through the paperwork to get your visa.)

I have no problem with using a recruiter or telling anyone else to use one (or more the case, many). They are your best option for fining the BEST fit when it comes to a job in Korea (or most of Asia for that matter).

For someone who is abroad, no connections and no ability to communicate in Korean then recruiters are a necessary evil.

That doesn't mean it is a crap shoot.

ALL recruiters are good. All recruiters are bad.
BUT they are a bridge to a job that you would not otherwise find.

The trick is in understanding what they are and what they do then understanding that due diligence is YOUR responsibility BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.

chavezc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question folks:

Do I send the original CRC to the Department of State for the apostle? Is this a fairly quick step if I send it via Fedex or UPS; or should I use one of those expiedated services if I hope to obtain a job this coming fall?

Much Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: