Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mithridates' Defeat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Mithridates' Defeat Reply with quote

A Greek farmer has found the remains of a monument marking Mithridates' defeat.

I'm not chortling or anything, but 100,000 to 15,000 and he still lost?

(Yahoo News)
"The site near Orchomenos, about 75 miles northwest of Athens, was recorded by the Greek historian Plutarch. But the actual location of the long-sought monument — originally believed to stand 23 feet — was a mystery until last month, when the farmer plowing his fields stumbled upon a buried column that led researchers to uncover the monument's stone base.

Another Roman victory monument, at nearby Chaeronea, was found in 1990 by students from the University of California, Berkeley.

The 86 B.C. battles at Chaeronea and Orchomenos inflicted a heavy defeat on Mithridates VI, who led the Black Sea kingdom of Pontus in an unsuccessful 20-year campaign against Rome.

The monument was raised by a Roman general, Lucius Cornelius Sulla, who defeated the Asian forces.

"Sulla's forces of 15,000 — I think it is not an exaggeration — faced the massive armies of the King of Pontus Mithridates, whose forces exceeded 100,000," Aravantinos said.

"It's one of these rare times when the ancient texts meet archaeology. For Rome, this battle meant salvation, and for Greece the effect was great because Sulla brutally punished the Greek towns that sided with his enemy."

The column was styled to look like a tree trunk bearing the armor of fallen soldiers from the defeated army, a common style at the time, a culture ministry statement said. "
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mithridates' Defeat Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
A Greek farmer has found the remains of a monument marking Mithridates' defeat.

A smaller well disciplined force with better trained soldiers being led by competent commanders who can act independently usually held the upper hand until the meat grinder battles of the World Wars.

It would have been almost impossible for Mithradates to exercise any effective command and control over such a vast horde. It is one of the reasons why Alexander was so successful against the numerically superior Persian forces under Darius.

Thanks for the link.
mithridates

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mithridates' Defeat Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:

The 86 B.C. battles at Chaeronea and Orchomenos inflicted a heavy defeat on Mithridates VI, who led the Black Sea kingdom of Pontus in an unsuccessful 20-year campaign against Rome.

Come back to me when you've lasted 20 years against Rome. And when you've expanded your empire from a tiny parcel of Black Sea shore to pretty much all of modern Turkey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PonticKingdom.png
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mithridates' Defeat Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
Ya-ta Boy wrote:

Come back to me when you've lasted 20 years against Rome. And when you've expanded your empire from a tiny parcel of Black Sea shore to pretty much all of modern Turkey.

SCOREBOARD!
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mithridates' Defeat Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
mithridates wrote:
Ya-ta Boy wrote:

SCOREBOARD!

Mithridates, Rome ain't what it used to be. Not much of an accomplishment, relatively speaking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: