Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
If you've never heard this classic bit by George Carlin, I highly recommend that you listen to it. I quoted only the last part.

George Carlin - Baseball vs Football
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfhbEUkg7o

"And finally, the objectives of the two games are completely different:

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! - I hope I'll be safe at home!"

Yeah, but it's always the same result as a Chiefs fan.
joelove

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a Blue Jays fan. Hey, I'm Canadian. We've done good so far.
bossface

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
As a Kansas City Royals fan, I hate everybody.

I thought I was the only one. MLB stores here don't even carry Royals gear. So sad. I'm also a Cubs fan, but to a lesser degree than Royals. I can sleep easy knowing that they will never meet in a meaningful game.
joelove

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the Royals playing well lately, right now just a game behind the Tigers.

There's a lot of ups and downs in baseball. I follow it closely while I'm here in Canada, but it doesn't mean much to me anymore other than entertainment. It's the only sport I'm into. That's just from growing up playing, umpiring and watching. I find it interesting.
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, regarding this topic...I find baseball in Korea to be a lot of fun.

The fans get into it, beer is cheap, it is safe to bring in your own food and cooler and if you know and appreciate anything about the game...you will find, baseball DOES promote a common unity of joy.

NC Dino's, all the way!
ForceOne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariners fan here.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I meant to ask you baseball fans what you think about reports that Adam Wainwright deliberately threw a couple of easy pitches for Jeter to hit in the All Star game a few days ago.

It used to not matter, as the game was basically an exhibition with nothing at stake. But now they make it so the winning league gets home field advantage in the World Series. That raises the stakes a little.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that Jeter is an all around good guy so no one is really making a big deal about it. But if you are going to serve up some easy pitches to give a guy his last hurrah, why not keep quiet about it?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is the correct name for LA Dodgers?
또져스: lost again
다져스: lost all of them
or
다저스: ground up vegetable mix

please help the Korean baseball commentators! Laughing
Sector7G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade deadline winners and losers

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/50234/trade-deadline-winners-and-losers
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness Dave Dombrowski has some big time onions on him. Hope this finally puts the Tigers over the top, but he gave away A LOT.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
My goodness Dave Dombrowski has some big time onions on him. Hope this finally puts the Tigers over the top, but he gave away A LOT.
Ok, it's funny, I am not even that big of a baseball fan, even though I am doing as much as anyone to keep this thread from dying. So please elucidate for me....besides Price's big salary, what did they give up?
Sector7G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Mind you, I live in the Tampa Bay area, and all the sports stations are saying the Rays got the short end of the stick....though they all acknowledged Price had to be dealt.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigers gave up leadoff hitter Austin Jackson, a guy who can fluctuate between being an average to plus contact hitter, could develop plus power, and who has plus speed and defense. They also gave up Drew Smiley who is a solid number 4 lefty starter who could develop into a number 3, maybe number 2. He has also been a dominating reliever and is versatile. Smiley doesnt hit FA for awhile too.

This is a BIG gamble that leaves a GIANT hole in CF for the Tigers. The good part for the Tigers is that they get another year of Price, a compensatory draft pick if he leaves, and makes Justin Frickin Verlander the number 5 starter and guy who can move into the bullpen in October.
ricochet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluejays! click here Arrow https://s3.yimg.com/sr/img/2/2f480230-aa46-3135-8abd-a5dd978ee979 Cool
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

This is a BIG gamble that leaves a GIANT hole in CF for the Tigers. The good part for the Tigers is that they get another year of Price, a compensatory draft pick if he leaves, and makes Justin Frickin Verlander the number 5 starter and guy who can move into the bullpen in October.

Fox 13's snarky tweet about Detroit backfires
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/fox-13s-snarky-tweet-about-detroit-backfires/2191037
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: