Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian who studied abroad in USA- Which background check?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzyonplanetk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Canadian who studied abroad in USA- Which background check? Reply with quote

I got my Canadian criminal background check with no trouble. Started applying for jobs. Now a recruiter tells me that because I got my degree in New York, I also need a US cbc. She said she got a phone call from a client whose visa got denied for that reason. That will delay me by at least 6-10 weeks, which is not preferable (living with my parents till I leave and will run out of money eventually).

Another recruiter told me I don't need a US background check because I'm not a citizen, but I should get one just in case because "At Immigration, rules change often".

Are any of you Canadians who studied abroad? Did you have problems getting your visa? Was that just one asshole who processed the visa and I should apply anyway, or is this a serious concern and I should hold back on applying until I have it in-hand?

And yes, I know it's coming back clean when I finally do get it.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get it and be done with it.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those weird situations that come up. Heck it has me a little worried. Your recruiter is giving good advice, which is a rarity. He is trying to cover you and his bases.

Like Pragic says get it. Get it the slow way via mail. It might take a few months. At the same time also apply for jobs. If you get a visa you are golden. Yet if it asked for you can reply that it is coming and give a rough time frame. The immigration official might be more willing to grant the visa.

Good Luck.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be applying to MANY recruiters, not just 2 or 3. If a few of them want the US background check then just go with the others. Immigration won't care. I've lived in numerous countries and it says so on my resume (which immigration also has). I've never been asked for a background check for other countries.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte wrote:
You should be applying to MANY recruiters, not just 2 or 3. If a few of them want the US background check then just go with the others. Immigration won't care. I've lived in numerous countries and it says so on my resume (which immigration also has). I've never been asked for a background check for other countries.

I think it is more that university degree and criminal record check are not from the same country. Immigration official might be just looking for things to be the same I remember a few posts on people have being delayed or refused because of non matching degrees.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Troglodyte wrote:

I think it is more that university degree and criminal record check are not from the same country. Immigration official might be just looking for things to be the same I remember a few posts on people have being delayed or refused because of non matching degrees.

Yes. I suppose it might catch someone's eye. Technically you're supposed to have a background check for any country that you've lived in for the past few years but it seems to be rarely enforced. If he can get the US CBC then there's nothing much to lose from doing so. In the mean time, if it were me, I'd just keep applying for jobs and wait for one that doesn't ask about it. Otherwise, if he tells recruiters that it will be another month (or more) until he has all the documents then most will just ignore him. Few schools want to wait a month, particularly when there's the chance that the applicant might not get the paperwork done or might find another offer in the mean time.
yellowdove

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied in Arkansas and am a Canadian citizen. In my four years in Korea, I have NEVER needed an American background check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: