Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ugliness of Nationalism
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ugliness of Nationalism Reply with quote

caniff wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

There are a few of us who have evolved beyond that, not many. Cool

Any plans on joining the club?

Naw, I'm not into clubs.
joelove

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ugliness of Nationalism Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
joelove wrote:
The thinking and the separation of nationalism. What function does this sort of thinking have?

It is a left-over from how we evolved; tribes.

"Us" vs "them", "our way is better, their way is wrong", "I'm afraid of them because they are different". Most posts on Daves are based in this tribal thinking.

There are a few of us who have evolved beyond that, not many. Cool

I dunno. All I can do is repeat what I read or heard from somebody. I'm not a smart person.

I suppose one of the deepest concerns of a human being is security. The physical sense of security is necessary. This extends into a desire for psychological security, which may be an illusion. This is not philosophical.

In the quest for psychological comfort the human being, all over the world, has latched onto various things, and one of those is belonging to groups he calls larger than himself. That is the national identity, with its nationalism, which must entail hatred, and his religious belief. There's more to it as well.

He thinks in this division that he has some security, because it sure feels that way, and it's nice to belong to a big group which has millions, antagonistic to the other groups, of which there are many as well.

This is really all quite basic and just a bunch of words. It sounds like what is going on, but I really don't know.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The races weren't meant to mix.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:

Geographically isolated populations need access to a wider gene pool.
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:

We're all already mixed.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:

It doesn't really mean anything to say "meant to", it happened.

But it's true the races do not mix well, humans like those from their own tribe. Their "tribe" can also mean religion, or political belief. But race is physically apparent.
EastisEast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when peoples, tribes and races don't mix?

Does anyone know?
Devolution. Mental and physical retardation, bastardization, sickness, and a screaming, lingering, howling death.

Humans were meant to mix, otherwise we'd be extinct.

I hear that some people pride themselves on being 'pure' but that just means to me that he secretly wants to hump his sister and mom Shocked
joelove

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. That's the first thing to start with. But I can go along with things others have said, and looking at it, maybe, have an idea, not a fixed conclusion.

What I imagine happens is that the human mind longs for belonging and also feels pain in attachment. It is in deep conflict. National thought is a part of this.

I'm drunk now, and don't know anything. So shut up and have a nice day.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was laughing my ass off last week at my Canadian colleagues freaking out that Tim Horton's was bought up by Burger King.

It's funny to laugh at the nationalistic puck-heads when something like this happens.

Remember the chauvinistic "I AM Canadian" Molson Canadian beer adverts in the 1990s? I guess now the question is, are they really Canadian?

Will Tim Horton's now taste as good to the doughnut nationalists?
jleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
I was laughing my ass off last week at my Canadian colleagues freaking out that Tim Horton's was bought up by Burger King.

It's funny to laugh at the nationalistic puck-heads when something like this happens.

Remember the chauvinistic "I AM Canadian" Molson Canadian beer adverts in the 1990s? I guess now the question is, are they really Canadian?

Will Tim Horton's now taste as good to the doughnut nationalists?

Too funny. The sentiment in the U.S. of A. seems to be that Burger King wants to be Canadian to stop paying taxes, so I guess the answer is yes, they really are still Canadian. Very Happy
joelove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more important, I guess, to see how far nationalistic feeling has a hold on you. I doubt any of us are without some sentiment. You know how it goes, you are brought up in your culture, or several if you moved around, and that becomes important. Then you become attached I suppose because that is what you are. This is quite an important thing to most people. We sing songs about a country and praise a flag for some reason. We're just praising ourselves. Looking into it, I figure it's for comfort. But you and I must know there will never be peace in this world, and there will always be trouble, so long as we are interested in nationalistic thought and the separation it involves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: