Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Human Trafficking Around US Bases
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Human Trafficking Around US Bases Reply with quote

http://imnews.imbc.com/player/index_frame.aspx?artid=3200503&vodurl=vod.imnews.imbc.com/vod/_definst_/mp4:newsvod/desk/2012/12/mbc_desk_20121211_1_500k.mp4

A Korean friend showed me this. The news report is about women who come here on E-6 visas (entertainer visas). They think they are coming here to be singers but they are forced to sleep with US soldiers. Women on E-6 visas are required to pass an STD test once every three months. A woman who is interviewed says that she is forced to commit 4-6 acts of prostitution a month. If she doesn't her boss will swear at her and tell her to get out. I didn't realize it was that bad.
detonate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More widespread throughout the Korean populace in general, why can't I find that in the news as easily on MBC?!?!?!?!?!
rollo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I am. Shocked to think that there is prostitution going on in Korea.

next someone will tell me that the natives eat some kind of fermented cabbage.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly sexually active prostitutes are/were one of the founding mothers of contemporary South Korea. You can understand the reason behind South Korea's strong Christian Protestant population just by looking at this news.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NohopeSeriously wrote:
... sexually active prostitutes...

Who are the other kinds of prostitutes? You made a very poor profession choice if you're a non-sexually active prostitute.
falco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now theres a logical incongruity!..... Wink
comm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
NohopeSeriously wrote:
... sexually active prostitutes...

Who are the other kinds of prostitutes?

Unemployed!
I-am-me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sex trafficking has introduced some good english teachers though. I know several girls working as teachers now after they got out of the bar owners grasp.
Kepler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood part of it. It starts off with-
우리 현대사의 아픈 부분 중 하나죠 (There is one part of our modern history that is sickening).

It then goes on about all the prostitution that happens around US military bases in Korea.

From what I've observed, however, a lot of women on entertainment visas work in bars that are not even close to a base. Go to Texas Street across from Busan station, for example, and you'll see a lot more Korean customers than military in the bars there. Furthermore, if the US military suspects a bar is involved in prostitution then it will be placed on the off limits list. Military police go in bars on the off limits list sometimes and ask for the ID of anyone who looks military. If a soldier is caught in such a place he will be punished. So they do try to stop it from happening.
goreality

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4~6 tricks a month per girl? How is a Korean pimp to survive? This seems to be a Korean law enforcement problem.
j20kim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
I understood part of it. It starts off with-
우리 현대사의 아픈 부분 중 하나죠 (There is one part of our modern history that is sickening).

It then goes on about all the prostitution that happens around US military bases in Korea.

From what I've observed, however, a lot of women on entertainment visas work in bars that are not even close to a base. Go to Texas Street across from Busan station, for example, and you'll see a lot more Korean customers than military in the bars there. Furthermore, if the US military suspects a bar is involved in prostitution then it will be placed on the off limits list. Military police go in bars on the off limits list sometimes and ask for the ID of anyone who looks military. If a soldier is caught in such a place he will be punished. So they do try to stop it from happening.

There are migrant women on entertainer visas in establishments all over the country. Texas Street in Busan is just one example, but remember that this is an area that was frequented heavily by U.S. soldiers in the past. Also, when Korea, Japan, and the U.S. have joint military drills, ships from Japan will sometimes dock at Busan. Thus Koreans and U.S. soldiers alike are still frequenting the establishments on Texas Street. Most E-6 visa holders, however, are placed in U.S. military camptowns.

Also, while the military "Off Limits" system does help a little, it is not effective because the Base does not red flag enough of the establishments. Go to any camptown, and everyone knows which club owners force their employees into prostitution -- these establishments are still operating and serving U.S. soldiers, an they are NOT "off limits."
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Human Trafficking Around US Bases Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
They think they are coming here to be singers...

Yeah right. Do they actually think they are coming here to be singers? Unlikely.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girls that they used to bring over on entertainment visas used to be mostly Russian. I remember years ago seeing a middle aged ajossi with his hands all over a young Russian girl outside of a club near Dong Incheon Station. Immigration eventually realized what a lot of these Russian girls were up to so they have been largely replaced with Filipinas.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost rider wrote:
...they have been largely replaced with Filipinas.

...figured it. There is no "human trafficking", it's called employment.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Human Trafficking Around US Bases Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
They think they are coming here to be singers...

Yeah right. Do they actually think they are coming here to be singers? Unlikely.

The ol' blame the victim dodge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: