Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NCAA Football 2014 - the year of Mississippi?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: NCAA Football 2014 - the year of Mississippi? Reply with quote

With the season halfway over, it seems appropriate to start with the playoff predictions. So, in no particular order...

*Florida State - They've got a cake schedule and probably don't deserve a shot at another title this year, but the fact that they've simply managed to not lose (and likely won't before the playoffs) will guarantee them a spot... even if Jameis Winston ends up behind bars.

*Oregon - This is another team that should be bumped because of their lackluster performance. Unfortunately, too many people don't want to see a playoff series with 3/4 of the teams from the SEC, so Oregon will make it in as the second best non-SEC contender.

*Ole Miss - I didn't think the Rebel Bears would play this well, but Bo Wallace and that defense (f*** me, that defense!) are no joke. Even if the rankings don't show it, this is definitely the #2 team in the country.

*Mississippi State - Dak Prescott. Dak Prescott. Dak Prescott. That's all we're gonna hear about come Heisman time. Great QB, great offensive line, great run game, great passing game (when Jameon Lewis recovers), great defense... the only things my Bulldogs are lacking are a decent kicker and a coach that realizes that only Les Miles can pull off Les Miles tricks. Like Ole Miss, the polls will still favor Florida State, but there's no doubt Mississippi State should be #1. Even as bizarre as that sounds.

Other thoughts:

*Baylor and Notre Dame aren't top 10 material, and the next few weeks will show that.

*Auburn shouldn't drop too far, and they may even be able to knock Ole Miss off to finish the regular season with a single loss. Actually, this is gonna make the SEC West champion selection very interesting. It's not unlikely that Mississippi State should go into the Egg Bowl undefeated and lose to a one-loss Ole Miss (weird things happen in the Egg Bowl), which would mean there would be three one-loss teams vying for the trip to Atlanta to destroy whatever trash team the SEC East ends up sending (probably Georgia, but with Todd Gurley out of the picture, maybe Kentucky? Wtf is happening this year?). At any rate, if the top four absolute best teams were to go to the playoffs, three of them should be Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Auburn. It won't happen, of course, but it should.

*Arizona and Oklahoma could end up taking Oregon's playoff spot, but I doubt it. There's just far too much love for Mariota to let that happen.

*Is anyone else as giddy as I am that we don't even have to mention Alabama's chances? Laughing
yodanole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Florida State alumnus. I just want to point out one thing. I am not happy with J. Winston, he just doesn't do things quite right. You might have noticed that all the fuss about JW is coming from women's groups that are not based in Tallahassee, nor associated with FSU.

The reason for this is that the accuser is a member of an informal association of young women who call themselves "The Cleat Chasers".
You can all probably make the jump to light speed as to what their
stated objective might be. Some are saying that this is all being swept
under the rug because FSU is just a football factory school & Tallahassee is just a football crazy town. The latter observations are all too true. But the talk around town is that this girl is not a victim in the usual sense. She isn't receiving a lot of sympathy from the local community.

I think more than 4 teams should be in the playoff ( maybe 8 ).
Good luck to all the contenders, & condolonces to those that feel
that their team was left out.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 teams out of Mississippi delta would be a TV ratings disaster. It's not about who's the best. It's about the best TV money. Ole Miss and Miss St. doesn't rate. Something will happen to 'nobble' them horses. Sorry, but Auburn doesn't rate either. Florida St and JW rates plenty. America needs JW. There has to be at least one black kid that the white cops can't shoot on sight. Laughing Oregon will be there, because they need to be shown that they don't belong, and Oregonians will finally shut up after that. There will be one from Central time-zone and SEC.
EZE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I'd rank Ole Miss and Mississippi State #1 and #2 in the nation, but I don't think they can both make it into the playoff since the Egg Bowl will pretty much be an elimination game if they're still undefeated. It'll be too late in the season for the loser to recover in the polls.

My four are:

Ole Miss
Oklahoma State
Alabama
Notre Dame

I watched Stanford's defense against Washington State the other day and thought that was the best defense I've watched in a long time. The Quack Attack vs. the Stanford D is a matchup I can't wait to watch.

I'm really looking forward to the ND/FSU game this weekend. This ND team is a lot better than the one that played in the national title game a couple of years ago. As much as I hate Notre Dame and think their coach is a jerk, he's extremely competent and I think he'll give them an edge this Saturday. It should be a great game.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Football 2014 - the year of Mississippi? Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Like Ole Miss, the polls will still favor Florida State, but there's no doubt Mississippi State should be #1.

I guess I should've waited a little bit longer for this post. Mississippi State is now #1. Shocked

yodanole wrote:
You might have noticed that all the fuss about JW is coming from women's groups that are not based in Tallahassee, nor associated with FSU.

I wasn't passing judgment on Jameis, just noting the possibility that the allegations and his recent behavior may keep him off the field. And how likely is it that this article's scenario plays out?

And I agree about the number of playoff teams, though I think even 8 is too few. I say scrap all the conference championships to make time for a 16-team series.

EZE wrote:
Right now, I'd rank Ole Miss and Mississippi State #1 and #2 in the nation, but I don't think they can both make it into the playoff since the Egg Bowl will pretty much be an elimination game if they're still undefeated. It'll be too late in the season for the loser to recover in the polls.

My four are:

Ole Miss
Oklahoma State
Alabama
Notre Dame

If Mississippi State and Ole Miss both enter the Egg Bowl undefeated, the following is necessarily true: 1) one team will leave undefeated, 2) the other team will leave with a single loss, 3) every other team in the SEC West will have at least two losses. There's no way another West team with more losses gets picked over the Egg Bowl loser with fewer losses. The only way the loser gets bumped is if Georgia manages to perform much, much better for the rest of the season and comes away with the SEC championship title.

Also, did you mean to place Alabama, not Auburn, in your final four? Alabama still has to play Mississippi State, Auburn, and Texas A&M. They'll probably beat A&M, but will definitely lose to at least one of the other two, putting them at two losses for the season.

And while I hope you're right about Oklahoma State, I just don't think they'll be able to beat Oklahoma this year. Also, with their only loss coming from Florida State, I don't see how they'd get selected.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Football 2014 - the year of Mississippi? Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
If Mississippi State and Ole Miss both enter the Egg Bowl undefeated, the following is necessarily true: 1) one team will leave undefeated, 2) the other team will leave with a single loss, 3) every other team in the SEC West will have at least two losses. There's no way another West team with more losses gets picked over the Egg Bowl loser with fewer losses. The only way the loser gets bumped is if Georgia manages to perform much, much better for the rest of the season and comes away with the SEC championship title.

Also, did you mean to place Alabama, not Auburn, in your final four? Alabama still has to play Mississippi State, Auburn, and Texas A&M. They'll probably beat A&M, but will definitely lose to at least one of the other two, putting them at two losses for the season.

And while I hope you're right about Oklahoma State, I just don't think they'll be able to beat Oklahoma this year. Also, with their only loss coming from Florida State, I don't see how they'd get selected.

Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State all have very hard schedules remaining. It'll be a monumental task for any of them to not lose along the way, but I think one or two of them could. I think Auburn's remaining schedule is actually the most difficult of the four, having to go on the road to Athens, Oxford, and Tuscaloosa. Mississippi State's hardest opponents are also on the road. Bama and Ole Miss get their most difficult opponents at home.

Oklahoma State is certainly a longshot since they're buried so far down in the polls. I think I'd better go with Alabama, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, and swap OSU out for Baylor, since Baylor is undefeated, has TCU in the rear view mirror already, and has Briles on its sideline.

Bama
Notre Dame
Ole Miss
Baylor

Those are my four.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:

I'm really looking forward to the ND/FSU game this weekend. This ND team is a lot better than the one that played in the national title game a couple of years ago. As much as I hate Notre Dame and think their coach is a jerk, he's extremely competent and I think he'll give them an edge this Saturday. It should be a great game.
Notre Dame probably has the best shot of any team left on FSU's schedule of beating them and thus denying the 'Noles a spot in the playoffs. But it all depends on whether Winston plays or not , and Vegas is so unsure that they have taken the game off the board. If he does play, I can't see ND beating FSU in Tallahassee. Winston has been remarkable about not letting off field distractions affect his on-field play. Meaning I think that FSU will at least make the playoffs, though I am not sure if they are strong enough this year to win it all.
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently there are 5 highly ranked unbeatens. This weekend will reduce it to 4, after the Notre Dame @ FSU game. Ole Miss will play Mississippi State later in the season, reducing it to only 3. These losses are guaranteed. There will probably be others that couldn't be predicted. This guarantees that there will be at least 1 one loss team in the playoffs. Maybe more.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:

Here's an article on the ND coach, but the real reason I link to it is the poll on the side of the page.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2232831-notre-dame-vs-florida-state-is-legacy-game-for-brian-kelly

Can Notre Dame pull off the upset this weekend?
Yes, the Irish will win.
85.5%
No, it's not happening.
14.5%
Total votes: 1,902

Now I realize it's an unscientific poll(would a scientific poll on this even be possible?), and I know ND has more of a national following, but I am still a little surprised at the results. My guess is there is a little bit of an FSU/Jameis Winston fatigue. I'm an FSU fan and I have it myself.
2i2dk1ny2i3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USC is out of any decent Bowl Game

my general prediction would be a Team out of the:

SEC - obviously strongest contender

ACC - only due to Florida, overall weak conference

PAC - one can hope but doubtful

SEC has been so dominant last couple years ESPN has a whole new SEC Network
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2i2dk1ny2i3 wrote:
USC is out of any decent Bowl Game

my general prediction would be a Team out of the:

SEC - obviously strongest contender

ACC - only due to Florida State, overall weak conference

PAC - one can hope but doubtful

SEC has been so dominant last couple years ESPN has a whole new SEC Network
Soft Machine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notre Dame is in for a rude awakening - they've snuck thru too many weak opponents to deserve their ranking (c'mon, giving up 50 points to North Carolina?). They may beat a Winston-less Florida State (I don't think so - 31-14 my pick), but they'll lose to USC, Ariz State and Northwestern (yes, Northwestern....the same team that sank Wisconsin, and Wisc is a better all around team than ND). Nortre Dame is, year-in and year-out, overrated!

Playoff: One of the Mississippi teams; Fla State; Oregon (if they learn how to beat Stanford); and Baylor

I don't think Baylor is a great team, just a great offense. Oregon isn't a lock either.....maybe a second SEC team (re winner of the Iron Bowl)? Dunno but it'll be a lot more interesting that watching two teams that haven't played in two months slug it out for the championship.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games that interest me this weekend:

*Texas A&M at Alabama: Bama will finish the season with 3 losses, but I don't think one of them will come at the hands of A&M. Maybe, but I don't think so.

*Georgia at Arkansas: Arkansas is vastly improved over last year (but that's not really saying much). There's loads of talent on this team, but they seem sorely lacking in discipline. With Gurley out of the picture for an already lackluster Georgia team, I think the Razorbacks have the edge here.

*Notre Dame at Florida State: Winston is expected to play, and Notre Dame, as usual, is incredibly overrated. Easy win for FSU.

I just realized I picked the home team for each of these, but I don't think swapping the stadiums for any would change much.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Games that interest me this weekend:

*Texas A&M at Alabama: Bama will finish the season with 3 losses, but I don't think one of them will come at the hands of A&M. Maybe, but I don't think so.
It's Alabama up 52-0 with 6:34 left in the game so I think your instinct was right. A&M was looking very good after the first few games of the season but they have been exposed in the last 3 games.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ND-FSU turned out to be a better game than I think anyone expected - with many calling it an "instant classic".

ND really should have won it, but they only have themselves to blame, as that offensive pass interference call was correct. The frustrating thing for ND is that without that penalty they would almost certainly have scored, as FSU's defense seemed unable to stop them at that point. I had pretty much counted it as a loss for the Seminoles, even before the play in question.

Here's the thing. Apparently they had gotten away with that illegal pick play three or four times earlier in the game without it being flagged. If they had been flagged for it earlier, they probably would not have done it at that crucial moment of the game. But they did, they got caught, and FSU lucked out.

Anyway, I was impressed with ND's aggressive game plan. They played to win, going for it on fourth down several times. And that Corey Robinson is definitely a play maker who will be playing on Sundays someday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: