Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING!!! GnB WonPyeong, Cheongju City MR. MUN SONG-IL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott oer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: WARNING!!! GnB WonPyeong, Cheongju City MR. MUN SONG-IL! Reply with quote

This is a warning!!! Mr. Mun Song-il is currently recruiting for GnB Wonpyeong school in Cheongju city. Mr. Mun is a very shady character who will promise you the moon and stars and then drop a bomb on you once you arrive. Not only did I go through my own personal hell with him (I worked at his school) but others had their fair share as his recruitees. When one teacher arrived at the airport, Mr. Mun tried to get him to work at a different school illegally, for much less pay, no vacation, etc. The truth is that the school he was actually hired for didn't even need anyone!! If you come to Korea Mr. Mun will pull a number of fast ones on you, and then most likely follow it up with his favorite line "i'm sorry, but I'm afraid you don't have a choice."
GnB schools are best to stay away from to begin with because they are franchised out to owners who have no or little english proficiency and have no or little skill in running a language school. The catch to GnB schools is support from the corporate office (in the form of unique GnB textbooks ((which are full of mistakes)) and advertising materials) and low tuition rates, which mean large class sizes and limited resources. I'm sure there are some honest GnB's out there, I don't mean to make rash sweeping judgements, but in the past year i heard nightmare after nightmare stories about them, as well as my own.
My problems with Mr. Mun started the night i arrived in Jeju. He had promised me a private, studio apartment in Sinjeju (new jeju) and instead put me in a remote neighborhood outside of Gujeju (old jeju) in the village of Hwa Buk. This was a shared, tiny 2 room apt. with an older Korean man. Luckily I got along fine with him, but if not it would've been tough cuz the place was really small - not to mention i couldn't lock my bedroom door. The school was in Gujeju, so it was a 10 minute walk to the bus stop and then 20 minutes on the bus, once it eventually came which usually took 10 - 20 minutes.
From then he tried to force me to work a 6:30 AM class everyday and then 5 teaching hours spread out through the day, finishing at 7PM. Although my contract was for only 5 hours a day, he said "if you don't do the morning class, I'm afraid I won't be able to pay you." His school was very disorganized. My training consisted of him giving me a student book and saying "go teach." He promised me my airfare upon arrival, and after 2 months I only saw half of it. As for insurance, when I asked him about it he said "you look very healthy, i do not think you need insurance." Trust me and pass on this one. There are plenty of honest schools with ads up on this website. If you do take a job with mr. mun, remember that you've been warned.
Sucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through my own hell with GnB Dongducheon.

After attempting to resign, my boss reported to immigration that I had fled the country (I was still at the school at the time).

Long story short - endless trouble with immigration / labor board would not believe my story. I now have had to resort to getting help from a law firm. I'm only staying because I am going to study here and I have fallen for a local.

Anyway, I get my VISA on Thursday (I have been an illegal alien for almost 2 months) and then I will tak the b1tch to court,

I suggest that you stay away from GnB schools - there have been too many examples of bad (and illegal) GnB schools.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, how do you plan to win in court? Immigration AND the labour board have already said they don't believe you. Why would a court of law believe the word of a person who has since knowingly broken the laws of Korea by doing things like overstaying their visa? You've demonstrated that you are quite prepared lie to accomplish what you want to happen.

Don't take that as an attack, but it's what I would point out if I was the hogwan owner and you were suing me.
Sucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lie? In what way did I lie?

The problem is not from overstaying my visa. I did not do that - because it was cancelled without anyone (my boss or immigration telling me).

That is why I the two seperate legal bodies said they did not believe me. There was a form on the top of my immigration file declaring me as a missing person - that was all the information they needed.

Unless you have gone through a legal procedure here in Korea, do not tell me that the system (I stress the system, not the people) is not racist. It is.

I have gone to the lawyers to sort out my visa. It was their (they are Korean) idea to sue, not mine. They say I have enough information to prove (phone records, other teachers, statements given to immigration/labour, etc) that I did not "run away."

Once again - I would like you to point out where it is that I lied (or provided conflicting information)?
Sucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I would just like to point out that the law firm will not be compensated for going to court - I paid them 500,000 won to take care of my visa. They have decided to pursue the hogwan because the owner of the firm (a former Korean judge) is disgusted with the situation.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You've demonstrated that you are quite prepared lie to accomplish what you want to happen.

I don't see the lie either...
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparantly I need to hold your hands and explain what I meant.

Let's recap. You're suing the hogwan owner. I'll be playing the part of the hogwan owner.

Sucker: "I gave my notice I was quitting, and he fired me! He told Immigration I had left the country, cancelled my visa, and got me into all sorts of trouble!"

Me: "First off, why would I do that? Where's the incentive? I paid to fly him here and invested a lot of money into him which I would have to do again if I fired him. Second, all I know is that one day he just wasn't there. He left me stranded without a teacher, angry parents, and made my life miserable. Then after I file a report with Immigration to cancel the work visa, he comes out and dares to say it was all my fault because I had to do what I had to do.

Both Immigration and the Labour Board have said his story is nothing but lies, yet he continues with this blackmail. He still owes me money from his airline ticket as well.

Might I bring attention to the fact that this teacher has overstayed his visa and is an illegal alien. Why should we believe his words now when he has shown he will disregard the laws of our country when it suits him.

He is a selfish teacher the left me stranded, stole my money in using me to get him a ticket here, slanders me with his lies, defies the laws of our country, and now stands before you attempting to blackmail me again."

That's what I'm talking about and what I would say if you were suing me. You're walking into this batting zero and after you've violated your visa conditions. I'm not saying you're lying, but rather what it will all look like when you're before the judge. Immigration has already ruled you violated your visa conditions and that makes you a liar. Unless you plan to take Immigration to court as part of your little escapade, then the court will consider it a fact of law.

This is a case of he said/she said and you have no credability of which to speak of. T

Best of luck to you and all, but I can see your courtroom experience is heavily lacking. I'm not attacking you in the slightest, but simply outlining what you're up against.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not saying you're lying,
Quote:
you are quite prepared lie

Which one are you back-peddling on?
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
Which one are you back-peddling on?

The first part was meant to be what it would look like before a judge, not an accusation of lying. That's why I followed it up with "that's what I would say if I was the hogwan owner". It was a poorly constructed sentence that didn't highlight the context correctly.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, in that case..

Jo Shim hae...

Shocked My big kojaengi eyes are on you man....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: