Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Students You’ll Never Forget After Teaching ESL in Korea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gravity Wins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Students You’ll Never Forget After Teaching ESL in Korea Reply with quote

I've only taught at one school, the hagwon I was at last year. So I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you out there.

But I want to share an article I wrote about some of the sorts of students I taught that I'll never forget.

http://www.danvineberg.com/students-youll-never-forget-teaching-esl/

I hope you like it. And if you don't, here's your chance to make fun of my writing! It's a win - win. Cool

----------

Also, I'm wondering....

Those of you who have taught at a few different schools, do you find the same "types" of students keep appearing?

What other type of student would you add to my list?
northway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Students named Andy are all shit heads. Korean parents: do not give your children the English name of Andy, even if it is relatively easy for you to pronounce.
Gravity Wins

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Andy I taught wasn't too bad. Lucy on the other hand...
Hokie21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Students named Andy are all shit heads. Korean parents: do not give your children the English name of Andy, even if it is relatively easy for you to pronounce.

Wow...spot on....I currently have...4 students named Andy....and they are all a pain in the ass. Same goes for students named Kevin.

I've noticed every girl named Sophia or Stella seems to be great though.
Stain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
northway wrote:

Wow...spot on....I currently have...4 students named Andy....and they are all a pain in the ass. Same goes for students named Kevin.

Don't forget the sadistic nature of kids named Jay and Josh. Of course, I agree with the Andy and Kevin thing too. Beware of any girl with the name Angel Something. Common names that are misspelled are a recipe for disaster, too.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
northway wrote:

Don't forget the sadistic nature of kids named Jay and Josh. Of course, I agree with the Andy and Kevin thing too. Beware of any girl with the name Angel Something. Common names that are misspelled are a recipe for disaster, too.

Ugh, Kevins, Jays, and Joshes are all pretty bad too. Maybe boys are just a pain in the ass?
Stain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Stain wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
northway wrote:

Ugh, Kevins, Jays, and Joshes are all pretty bad too. Maybe boys are just a pain in the ass?

They are and lately girls have been too.

Last edited by Stain on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
northway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a kindergarten student who named himself Dino because he loved dinosaurs so much.

- "Okay, so today we're going to write about and draw a picture of a chicken."

Ten minutes later:

- "Dino, why does your chicken look like a triceratops?"

Great kid. Great name.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once taught a student who insisted on being called "Captain Mr Nice Man', and was visibly upset when I wouldnt, so much so that he went to the director and complained.

I also had a whole class named after the Real Madrid football team.

And an Uzi - girl strangley enough. She was a shithead. I could see why the teacher named her that...

When its me choosing, I draw the line at anything that is making a mockery of English or will make them look like a *beep* or cliche when they are older, and continue to use that name. With older kids, I usually point out that their name looks like an Asian cliche and ask of they want to change it.

This includes the Kathy's, Nora's, Kevin's, Brad's etc. etc.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
I once taught a student who insisted on being called "Captain Mr Nice Man', and was visibly upset when I wouldnt, so much so that he went to the director and complained.

I also had a whole class named after the Real Madrid football team.

And an Uzi - girl strangley enough. She was a shithead. I could see why the teacher named her that...

When its me choosing, I draw the line at anything that is making a mockery of English or will make them look like a *beep* or cliche when they are older, and continue to use that name. With older kids, I usually point out that their name looks like an Asian cliche and ask of they want to change it.

This includes the Kathy's, Nora's, Kevin's, Brad's etc. etc.

The flip side of this is that I gave my old co-teacher the name Nadia (she was previously an Irene but didn't want to be an old lady), and everyone thinks it's strange that she has this name and wonders where she got it. God forbid she not be an Emily.
J Rock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first week in Korea I was put into a classroom with a little bastard called Kevin. Long story short, he dong shimmed me like I've never been dong shimmed before (to this day nobody has ever violated me as much as Kevin did that fist week).

He wouldnt sit down the entire class, he was either dancing like a choreographed boy band on ecstasy or he was practicing his Tae Kwon Do skills. What finally drove me nuts was the day he snapped kicked the air and his shoe flew off and went right out the window. I ran out to get it and to tell my director.

She came back in and little Kevin was sitting in his seat all polite, hands folded, sitting up straight.

I'll never forget little Kevin, made my life hell for my first couple months.
Gravity Wins

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how even the worst of them can behave when they choose to!
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravity Wins wrote:

It cracks me up when they show up with their parents. Some of these kids are absolute monsters in the classroom but when you see them with their parents they bow, smile, wave etc....it's funny but at the same time I want to shout at them, "Why!? Why doesn't THIS child show up in my class?!" We know why though.....
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravity Wins wrote:

It cracks me up when they show up with their parents. Some of these kids are absolute monsters in the classroom but when you see them with their parents they bow, smile, wave etc....it's funny but at the same time I want to shout at them, "Why!? Why doesn't THIS child show up in my class?!" We know why though.....
SHGator428

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boys named 'Kevin' are generally annoying. Boys with dyed or permed hair are mostly annoying little sharts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: