Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gepik unilaterally shortening contracts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Gepik unilaterally shortening contracts? Reply with quote

I'm in my second year at my public school. I've been informed that because of funding cuts they cannot renew my contract. Fair enough. But here's the kicker. My contract ends on March 31st. On Friday my co-teacher tells me that "all contracts" this year will end on February 28th. I will still get my bonus (pro-rated to eleven months) and my airfare, but my contract will end a month early. Has anyone else heard about this? Over at Waygook there was an earlier discussion about contracts being written that way to end on February 28th, regardless of the starting date. Mine is not like that. It is a full year contract. Yet the school says it will end on the 28th. Is this legal? Do they still need to pay me a full year? If they don't intend to hire a replacement, why not just let the contract run out?

What the hell is going on with Gepik?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all get up and dance to a tune that was a hit before your co-teacher was born. Though she was born a long long time ago, your co-teacher knows ahhh your co-teacher knows, Your co-teacher should know ahhhh sing it again.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gepik unilaterally shortening contracts? Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
...my co-teacher tells me that "all contracts" this year will end on February 28th.

Your current contract should say as much. Mine does. GEPIK has calibrated the contract with the school year. If you started your contract later than March 1st, which I suspect you have, it'll still end with the end of the school year.

Scorpion wrote:
My contract ends on March 31st.

Does it end then? Or are you just assuming it does because that's about when it started?
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gepik unilaterally shortening contracts? Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
...my co-teacher tells me that "all contracts" this year will end on February 28th.

Your current contract should say as much. Mine does. GEPIK has calibrated the contract with the school year. If you started your contract later than March 1st, which I suspect you have, it'll still end with the end of the school year.

Scorpion wrote:

Does it end then? Or are you just assuming it does because that's about when it started?

As I stated, my contract is until March 31st. I have it in front of me. It's March 31st. Please pay attention.
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gepik unilaterally shortening contracts? Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
isitts wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

Scorpion wrote:

As I stated, my contract is until March 31st. I have it in front of me. It's March 31st. Please pay attention.

I'm not talking about what your school wrote on the first page. I'm talking about a clause in the contract, which it seems your school didn't notice, provided they gave you the correct version of the contract.

Speaking of paying attention, did you not see the first part of my answer? ...which addresses your question?
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 GEPIK contract, Article 5 (Term of Employment)

1.a – In the event the contract* end date is not February 28th, the Employee shall be given a Renewal Contract that is less than one calendar year, in accordance to the school fiscal year (March – February).

* last year's (2013) contract
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
2014 GEPIK contract, Article 5 (Term of Employment)

1.a – In the event the contract* end date is not February 28th, the Employee shall be given a Renewal Contract that is less than one calendar year, in accordance to the school fiscal year (March – February).

* last year's (2013) contract

Is this a GEPIK thing? I've never heard of anyone is EPIK having to do that? I hope not anyhow.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Is this a GEPIK thing? I've never heard of anyone is EPIK having to do that? I hope not anyhow.

EPIK's start and end dates have been regular for a long time. GEPIK's were less organized and all over the place, which makes budget planning difficult. They tried to standardize it in 2011, but I guess there were still loose ends.

GEPIK contracts haven't been shortened, as such. This clause is a way of synchronizing the contract with the academic (read: fiscal) year. It only applies if the previous year's contract (yours or your predecessor's) started late.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:

EPIK's start and end dates have been regular for a long time. GEPIK's were less organized and all over the place, which makes budget planning difficult. They tried to standardize it in 2011, but I guess there were still loose ends.

GEPIK contracts haven't been shortened, as such. This clause is a way of synchronizing the contract with the academic (read: fiscal) year. It only applies if the previous year's contract (yours or your predecessor's) started late.

Really? I know lots of folks out here in the provinces who have middle of semester start dates. Granted, the on time starting dates at the beginning of the semester are more frequent than they use to be a few years ago. There are tons of folks I know who have April through June renewal contracts. They usually just sign the same contract as those on March 1st do. I had read that too about standardizing contracts with GEPIK years ago. But, there are still people who quit and pull runners, etc. So, I assume it would be impossible unless the school is willing to go without the foreigner for part of a semester.
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Really? I know lots of folks out here in the provinces who have middle of semester start dates. Granted, the on time starting dates at the beginning of the semester are more frequent than they use to be a few years ago. There are tons of folks I know who have April through June renewal contracts. They usually just sign the same contract as those on March 1st do. I had read that too about standardizing contracts with GEPIK years ago. But, there are still people who quit and pull runners, etc. So, I assume it would be impossible unless the school is willing to go without the foreigner for part of a semester.

I don't know how EPIK handles it. I only applied for them once and their intake timeframe seemed pretty strict compared to GEPIK. OP just asked about GEPIK's shortened contract, so I answered it. Smile
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does your Alien card expire? What I'm getting at is: what does immigration consider your end date?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has happened before, GEPIK, and that includes coordinators, knew all about it, and teachers were left hanging and holding the bag. Someone with a Korean spouse needs to challenge it at labor.
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
When does your Alien card expire? What I'm getting at is: what does immigration consider your end date?

That's a separate (non-) issue. Visa/Alien card term is 13 months...longer than the contract anyway.
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
It has happened before, GEPIK, and that includes coordinators, knew all about it, and teachers were left hanging and holding the bag. Someone with a Korean spouse needs to challenge it at labor.

My school told me when I signed last year when they gave me the contract (before I signed). And even if they hadn't, I still always read the contract before signing.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
dairyairy wrote:

My school told me when I signed last year when they gave me the contract (before I signed). And even if they hadn't, I still always read the contract before signing.

Memorize it, if you want. Just don't count on help from GEPIK if the school decides to break it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: