Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Ode to My Father'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmxc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: 'Ode to My Father'? Reply with quote

‘Ode to My Father’

There is controversy in Korea regarding the recent popular film ‘Ode to My Father.’
A sad, useless dispute
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2015/01/636_171369.html

The film seems designed to wrench tears from the audience, stirring up warm feelings for the the generation of Koreans whose hard work and sacrifices enabled Korea to rise from the ashes of the Korean war into its present status as among the top 15 economies in the world.

However, questions rightly arise whether it is entirely too premature to be celebrating Korea’s accomplishments.

To me, it seems especially shameful that the same generation that made the sacrifices celebrated in the movie are treated so badly by their country. Many of Korea’s elderly live in utter poverty and have been abandoned by the same children they worked so hard to raise. Some of Korea’s elderly women are prostituting themselves in Tapgol Park for a just a few dollars a day just to survive.

Those same elderly who sacrificed so much, might be the same grandparents who lost one of 300 dead kids in the Sewol tragedy of 2014. This same tragedy showcased how absolutely inept and corrupt the Korean government is, and how pervasive collusive ties between Korea’s government and private companies that put meager profits before any remote concern for safety or passenger lives.

The same grandparents more than likely have at least one or two grand-daughters or great-grand-daughters whoring themselves out in a country with the highest sex workers per capita in Asia.

Those same grand-daughters, if lucky enough to marry, have the world’s lowest birth rate, because any sane women with an education knows better than to try to raise kids in the hellish environment that Korean kids grow up in.

How would these grandparents feel about the huge numbers of their descendants who are leaping off bridges, buildings, and using charcoal briquettes to off themselves in some of the largest numbers in the world every year? All those sacrifices and hard work just so their grandchildren can kill themselves because they got a bad score on the college entrance test?

OR how would they feel about all their descendants cutting up their faces and using plastic to reshape their noses, eyes, lips, chins, etc, and very often dying in the process of pursuing some beauty standard that the elder generation would likely find alien and abhorrent?

I feel that the present generation of Koreans owes more of an ashamed apology to their grandparents, because I feel quite confident that modern Korea is nothing like the nation those same grandparents worked so hard and made so many sacrifices to create.
radcon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't know what you are talking about.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 'Ode to My Father'? Reply with quote

cmxc wrote:

I feel that the present generation of Koreans owes more of an ashamed apology to their grandparents, because I feel quite confident that modern Korea is nothing like the nation those same grandparents worked so hard and made so many sacrifices to create.

Older people feel the same way about the current generation in many countries, so it's no surprise that you feel this way. Times change.
jcd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op has no idea.

They should call that movie "Why my father was such an a$*hole"
jcd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op has no idea.

Stain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcd wrote:
Op has no idea.

I agree.
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcd wrote:
Op has no idea.

I agree.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Ode to My Father'? Reply with quote

cmxc wrote:
How would these grandparents feel about the huge numbers of their descendants who are leaping off bridges, buildings, and using charcoal briquettes to off themselves in some of the largest numbers in the world every year?.

Its a dystopia of their own making.

The misery is due to the hideously negative way they treat eachother, it is not inflicted by any outside forces. Due to the lobsided urbanization and the fact they've mostly concreted over any natural countryside they may have had, the kids have nowhere to play but car parks.

They've sacrificed their souls to quick profits. Its the mentality of an extremely immature capitalist society. Will they ever snap out of it? Hard to see.. because they never listen to outside opinion.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They went through a hella time in those days, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's understandable they'd want their kids/grandkids to succeed and live a better life. Personally I can't imagine the hardship and family separations they endured. War is hell. When half or more of your entire family is involved in a war and the hardships that followed, it can be unbearable.

I can see where JCD is coming from, on the other hand, it's another illustration of how difficult life can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: