Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photocopying!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Photocopying! Reply with quote

Damn I hate it. All of my students depend on handouts as the institute doesn't provide them with books. I teach 7 classes per day. Consequently, I have to photocopy about 80-90 sheets a day, using 3 different books. Biggest problems are a)Bok sa gi go jang!" it's broken and b) A colleague copying 200 sheets in one go. I feel like taking a bat to the thing sometimes! Anyone else depend on it? Do you share my loathing for it?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Photocopying! Reply with quote

Gwangjuboy wrote:
Damn I hate it. All of my students depend on handouts as the institute doesn't provide them with books. I teach 7 classes per day. Consequently, I have to photocopy about 80-90 sheets a day, using 3 different books. Biggest problems are a)Bok sa gi go jang!" it's broken and b) A colleague copying 200 sheets in one go. I feel like taking a bat to the thing sometimes! Anyone else depend on it? Do you share my loathing for it?

Get yourself a little website, post all of your handouts online the night before the class, and require all students to download, print and bring it into class.

Works a charm.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell the school that they can make money by selling books

Is your owner an idiot? That is one way how they make money.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
tell the school that they can make money by selling books

Is your owner an idiot? That is one way how they make money.

The only books the institute charges for are the ones that the Korean teachers use. The director fears that any additional costs might scare the parents away. The students are from a low income area too. (possibly second worst in the whole city.)
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice he is trying to help the poor, but it is not good business. Copies get expensive.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kristsoy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

same thing at my school they are copying whole dictation books for the students, it's shocking koreans arent in jail for breaking copy right laws. oh sorry this is korea what's a law?
sistersarah

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow gwanju boy! i do the same thing. i thought i was the only poor idiot doing this. 6 hours of classes a day. between 9 and 13 kids a class, maybe two papers per kid per class....it adds up. i don't want to know how much time i spend in front of the photocopier. it's really wearing on my nerves.
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
It's nice he is trying to help the poor, but it is not good business. Copies get expensive.

She owns two institutes, and has over 600 hundred students in total. Frankly, she is rich. (there aren't many BMW's in Cholla province!) I feel a little apprehensive about tutoring her on good business sense Laughing
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently making between 100 and 130 copies a day for my classes.

The books my school got are way too difficult for our mid and lower-level students, so I use another one (still have to fill in the other books for the parents sake, which is a dumb waste of time).

It is cheaper if you ask your director to order the really cheap gray-colored "butchers paper", if your copier can handle it.
Demophobe

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's great the way Koreans ignore copyrights as well....the land of borrowers (or thieves, I guess)
Despite the obvious environmental concerns, if your boss is so worried, she/he/it would offer the books at a reduced rate....she could give you teachers some overtime to collate all of the papers and have them bound for a pittance. Or she/he/it could just have the books copied in their entirety on that 'butcher's paper' for a very low cost.
You will probably end up with some strange form of testicular/ocular cancer from hanging out near a copier so much everyday....those machines have a fairly toxic effect on the surrounding air...
I strongly recommend breaking it daily. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: