Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When working hours are listed as - Working Hours: 9AM- 6 PM,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usurname

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: When working hours are listed as - Working Hours: 9AM- 6 PM, Reply with quote

When working hours are listed as - Working Hours: 9AM- 6 PM, how much of that is teaching hours?

How much of your non-teaching hours (office hours?) is spent grading,prepping, or helping a student?
northway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally 30 teaching hours/week, contractually, but I think it's relatively rare to actually be maxed out. Generally speaking, probably more like 25 teaching hours, but they can make you teach more if they need to.

As for what you're doing during the rest of the time, that varies dramatically from school to school, and can even vary significantly from teacher to teacher. I generally spent ~2 hours per day prepping, as I tailored materials specifically to my students, but a lot of my colleagues would just print out worksheets from the internet and be done in ten minutes. It depends on what the expectation is, how much you want to put into it, and how open-ended your curriculum is.
pmwhittier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's BACK!!! You should probably check this forum where this and your other "new" questions have already been asked by you and answered.

And "gas are expensive," still. And parking spaces are difficult to find as well.

Or maybe just leapover and ask the same questions.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: When working hours are listed as - Working Hours: 9AM- 6 Reply with quote

Usurname wrote:

That will leave you no time to even change your underwear.

No exercise time, no time for socializing, studying, or anything that normal people do. Its called modern slavery.

Why do employers even bother with these kind of crazy hours? They're unsustainable. Nobody can keep that going for longer than a few months befor burning out.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: When working hours are listed as - Working Hours: 9AM- 6 Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Usurname wrote:

That will leave you no time to even change your underwear.

No exercise time, no time for socializing, studying, or anything that normal people do. Its called modern slavery.

Why do employers even bother with these kind of crazy hours? They're unsustainable. Nobody can keep that going for longer than a few months befor burning out.

9-6 looks like a standard 40-hour work week (8 hours per day with a 1 hour lunch break).

Where do you come from that a standard work week is less?

edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much 9-5 in the UK, with a lunch break. probably less in the rest of Europe.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
It's pretty much 9-5 in the UK, with a lunch break. probably less in the rest of Europe.

9-6 with a lunch break in most states in the States and you should consider yourself happy.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remuneration in the States is about triple what it is in Korea though.
lowpo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:

9-6 with a lunch break in most states in the States and you should consider yourself happy.

Teaching is Korea is the first time that I had an eight hour job. All the jobs I had before I came to Korean averaged out to be about 13 hours a day.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
9-6 with a lunch break in most states in the States and you should consider yourself happy

Really? I don't recall Dolly Parton singing 'working nine to six.' Maybe she was in one of the slacker states.

I guess Rockwell was a lazy good for nothing too Laughing

Quote:
I'm just an average man, with an average life
I work from nine to five; hey hell, I pay the price
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
9-6 with a lunch break in most states in the States and you should consider yourself happy

Really? I don't recall Dolly Parton singing 'working nine to six.' Maybe she was in one of the slacker states.

Quote:

That's because you only get a 30 minute lunch break in the States usually. That's per OSHA standards, plus you get 2 15 minute breaks spaced out during a 8 hour work day.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's because you only get a 30 minute lunch break in the States usually. That's per OSHA standards, plus you get 2 15 minute breaks spaced out during a 8 hour work day.

That isn't even required by law in a lot of states. Southern states such as Georgia and South Carolina don't have any required break time, and any breaks that are built into the day are essentially in addition to your eight hours. As such, 9-6 is pretty standard.

As far as edwardcatflap's comment, things have changed since then. Overtime laws are archaic, and don't apply if you're a "professional" employee making more than $455 per week (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/employer-pay-overtime-laws-29928.html). Even in states with relatively good labor laws like New York, it's rare to find a decent job that's a 9 to 5. Certain states are somewhat strict on overtime - namely California - but I know very few people who work a 40 hour week. Those that do are typically clock-punching office drones.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowpo wrote:

Teaching is Korea is the first time that I had an eight hour job. All the jobs I had before I came to Korean averaged out to be about 13 hours a day.

What did you do, make sneakers in Bangladesh?

Sorry but the western norm is of 6.5 working hours a day. Thats 9-5 (with a lunch hour and two 15 minute breaks in the morning and afternoon). Anything more than that belongs in the Victorian era.

Nevermind that Korean teachers are often made to work even more than that. 8-6 is not uncommon.

There is such a thing as a work- life balance. Korea is too juvenile to know what that means and hogwon directors are exploitative slave drivers.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
lowpo wrote:

What did you do, make sneakers in Bangladesh?

Sorry but the western norm is of 6.5 working hours a day. Thats 9-5 (with a lunch hour and two 15 minute breaks in the morning and afternoon). Anything more than that belongs in the Victorian era.

Nevermind that Korean teachers are often made to work even more than that. 8-6 is not uncommon.

There is such a thing as a work- life balance. Korea is too juvenile to know what that means and hogwon directors are exploitative slave drivers.

I guess the US isn't part of the West?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: