Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Language Program for Academic Purposes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdyanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Korean Language Program for Academic Purposes Reply with quote

Hi, everyone, I know that KLP has often been a topic here, but I need a bit of help finding the best program for a target interested. I'm looking to develop my Korean for academic purposes. I want to be able to talk to Koreans for research purposes, and be able to transcribe these conversations. I also want to be able to read Korean academic articles (in education, language learning contexts).

I'd consider myself close to an intermediate learner right now, learn better from books than oral instruction, and care to learn grammar. I already have access to plenty of Korean contacts to practice with, and am not interested in extra-curricular activities. I'm looking in Seoul only but anywhere's fine. Could anyone recommend a solid intensive program?
optik404

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yonsei KLI is designed for international students wanting to apply for Yonsei. Focuses heavily on grammar and gets difficult around level 4.
thrylos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even small(er) universities usually follow either Yonsei or SNU's curriculum, at the same 5(?) levels, preparing foreign students for grad or undergrad admission to unis.

Most of the instructors tend to be young(er) females from either one of those places, or somewhere similar, with a Korean language teaching certifcate and Masters (K-Celta and MA). The ones at my place are very good (according to others! Laughing ) and supposedly it's a very competitive supply market now.

You don't have to go straight to the teat to drink the (same) milk. Look around the unis close to you and see which curriculum they follow before trekking all over town.
Stain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrylos wrote:
Even small(er) universities usually follow either Yonsei or SNU's curriculum, at the same 5(?) levels, preparing foreign students for grad or undergrad admission to unis.

Most of the instructors tend to be young(er) females from either one of those places, or somewhere similar, with a Korean language teaching certifcate and Masters (K-Celta and MA). The ones at my place are very good (according to others! Laughing ) and supposedly it's a very competitive supply market now.

You don't have to go straight to the teat to drink the (same) milk. Look around the unis close to you and see which curriculum they follow before trekking all over town.

I agree. There are younger teats out there.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great programs of course, and yes they are often designed for foreign students...but they do not teach the type of things it appears you want to learn. The grammar is of course good, but most of content is more geared to general and student "life"...not toward academic subjects.

I think you would get far more benefit with just reading Korean textbooks on the subject you hope to learn/converse about. I did a BA here in fully in Korean, and I can tell you that the full year I did in the KLP prior did little to help me with those studies. The immense amount of specialized vocab alone left me using a dictionary and translating literally every 3-4 words in the textbook in the beginning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: