Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It looks like a Korean might win it again...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actionjackson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: It looks like a Korean might win it again... Reply with quote

I know this doesn't really mean anything to anyone but wasn't it made into a pretty big deal when Rain won it a couple of years ago?

http://time.com/3747739/time-100-poll-results/
Neil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Gangnam Style I would have thought all the F5 buttons on Korean keyboards would be worn out by now.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil wrote:
After Gangnam Style I would have thought all the F5 buttons on Korean keyboards would be worn out by now.

Yes, Gangnam style's popularity was clearly a Korean cyber campaign, not some random viral video blow up.

You also have to remember that the populations of North and SE Asia, which are Kpop's biggest strongholds are significantly larger than that of North America. It's not just Koreans, and Chinese and other Asian's celebrity favorites are just as valid as westerners. It's no more wrong for them to pick CL than it is for us to pick Lady Gaga.

That being said both of those are wrong, because Vladimir Putin, Benjamin Netanyahu, and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi are the proper finalists.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Yes, Gangnam style's popularity was clearly a Korean cyber campaign, not some random viral video blow up.

They say the first step is acknowledging the problem.
You have now taken the first step.
Cool

Step two...keep repeating step one.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, because somehow the Korean government mind-rayed people all over the world from the US to Russia to China to India to watch the thing and have been able to duplicate the phenomenon time and time again to similar effect.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Right, because somehow the Korean government mind-rayed people all over the world from the US to Russia to China to India to watch the thing and have been able to duplicate the phenomenon time and time again to similar effect.

Well, we don't have to exaggerate even that much.

How about this...
Quote:
Yes, Gangnam style's popularity was clearly a random viral video blow up, supported by a Korean cyber campaign.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gangnam Style blew up because of people around the world and some tweet by some rapper.

It didn't blow up because of Korean netizens and the Korean government. Netizen fans follow Big Bang, 2NE1 and stuff like that, not Psy who had been around for over a decade and is not an industry favorite.

Suggesting Gangnam Style was all because of some nefarious youtube hit count campaign is tin hat territory.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Gangnam Style blew up because of people around the world and some tweet by some rapper.

It didn't blow up because of Korean netizens and the Korean government. Netizen fans follow Big Bang, 2NE1 and stuff like that, not Psy who had been around for over a decade and is not an industry favorite.

Suggesting Gangnam Style was all because of some nefarious youtube hit count campaign is tin hat territory.

Ok...last time...and just for fun...right?
No slight intended.
Quote:
Suggesting Gangnam Style was not in part because of some nefarious youtube hit count campaign is tin hat territory.

Your continued use of absolute adverbials of frequency is not without merit when deliberately misdirecting meaning, attempting to prolong an internet debate, but this one was done already.
Cheers
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

I agree with you on this part. A lot of people wanted to see the video everyone was talking about, some funny Korean guy doing a silly dance.

Steelrails wrote:

This part I'm not so sure about. When the video started to get to the most views ever, I'm not totally sold.

* I should also add that I believe many of the views for videos in the top 5 most viewed videos are somewhat inflated, but I could be wrong.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

No slight intended.
Quote:
Suggesting Gangnam Style was not in part because of some nefarious youtube hit count campaign is tin hat territory.

Your continued use of absolute adverbials of frequency is not without merit when deliberately misdirecting meaning, attempting to prolong an internet debate, but this one was done already.
Cheers

Oh. I see what you're getting at now.

Okay, point taken. That was worded poorly and too absolute.

actionjackson wrote:
This part I'm not so sure about. When the video started to get to the most views ever, I'm not totally sold.

* I should also add that I believe many of the views for videos in the top 5 most viewed videos are somewhat inflated, but I could be wrong.

I dunno, I mean, was it really just a bunch of Koreans sitting around hitting the video? I don't think think Psy really had a legion of followers at the time. Sure, a bunch of Koreans were watching it again and again, but I think it was because they wanted to watch it again and again. I mean it was a truly massive global viral phenomenon. When you're spawning million hit parody videos, I think that might indicate that your numbers are genuine.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

No slight intended.
Quote:

Cheers

actionjackson wrote:

I dunno, I mean, was it really just a bunch of Koreans sitting around hitting the video? I don't think think Psy really had a legion of followers at the time. Sure, a bunch of Koreans were watching it again and again, but I think it was because they wanted to watch it again and again. I mean it was a truly massive global viral phenomenon. When you're spawning million hit parody videos, I think that might indicate that your numbers are genuine.

That's the thing though, a type of nationalism takes over. You have a country that constantly wants to be recognized on the world stage and here's their chance. Now it could have been Girls Generation, Rain, 2NE1, or any number of other singers (which I'm sure many Koreans would appreciate more), but it's not, it's a chubby middle aged Korean man. And therein lies the key factor, Korean. Koreans can now say they have the most viewed video on YouTube. Again, it doesn't matter who it is, it's a Korean.

The same holds true for other Koreans who make it on to the world stage. I live in Seoul, and do you know how many Hanwha Eagles hats I saw while Ryu pitched there? I can't walk two blocks without seeing at least 5 Dodgers hats now. The same goes for soccer, flipping through the sports channels, there almost always used to be a ManU game on, even if it was an older one, now it's all Bundesliga.

And while I don't dispute that some of the initial response to video was genuine, I'm still not certain they all are. I remember about the time it surpassed a billion views, a lot of the people I knew (and this includes Koreans) would groan every time the song came on, but then again, those living in Korea were pretty much beaten over the head with it. I'm sure others in other countries enjoy it, and perhaps they still do, but I just checked to see how many hits it now has and it's sitting at just over 2.2 billion. Perhaps there really are people still enjoying that funny little man with his funny little dance, but you can color me skeptical.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

No slight intended.
Quote:

Cheers

actionjackson wrote:

That's the thing though, a type of nationalism takes over. You have a country that constantly wants to be recognized on the world stage and here's their chance. Now it could have been Girls Generation, Rain, 2NE1, or any number of other singers (which I'm sure many Koreans would appreciate more), but it's not, it's a chubby middle aged Korean man. And therein lies the key factor, Korean. Koreans can now say they have the most viewed video on YouTube. Again, it doesn't matter who it is, it's a Korean.

The same holds true for other Koreans who make it on to the world stage. I live in Seoul, and do you know how many Hanwha Eagles hats I saw while Ryu pitched there? I can't walk two blocks without seeing at least 5 Dodgers hats now. The same goes for soccer, flipping through the sports channels, there almost always used to be a ManU game on, even if it was an older one, now it's all Bundesliga.

And while I don't dispute that some of the initial response to video was genuine, I'm still not certain they all are. I remember about the time it surpassed a billion views, a lot of the people I knew (and this includes Koreans) would groan every time the song came on, but then again, those living in Korea were pretty much beaten over the head with it. I'm sure others in other countries enjoy it, and perhaps they still do, but I just checked to see how many hits it now has and it's sitting at just over 2.2 billion. Perhaps there really are people still enjoying that funny little man with his funny little dance, but you can color me skeptical.

Well can you recall any other music video that went this ridiculously viral around the world? You did have the Harlem Shake and Happy. Harlem Shake though was more about copies than the original. Happy did well, but didn't quite have the "What the hell?" factor that Gangnam Style that probably got Gangnam those extra views. Like, Gangnam Style seems like one of those things that people back home would play 4 times in a row as they're all doing bong hits on the couch and laughing at.

And doesn't youtube have some sort of filter or something on its count to prevent bot hacks because views are often linked to advertisers and payouts and whatnot?
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans have done this countless times. Also on the online poll for the 7 natural wonders of the world. Jeju Island is nice and all but beat out many much more worthy choices due to Koreans spiking the vote.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongotruck wrote:
Koreans have done this countless times. Also on the online poll for the 7 natural wonders of the world. Jeju Island is nice and all but beat out many much more worthy choices due to Koreans spiking the vote.

Koreans "spiking" the vote was the least of that seven new wonders poll's problems. The whole thing was mostly just an elaborate scam to make money.
thrylos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that magazine as relevant as Modern Housewife today?

I still get it delivered for free, part of a deal with the travelling salesmen that ask for some of your class time to give their spiel to the students.

It is about as thick as a newspaper nowadays with stories that were 'old news' 4-5 days ago. OK, maybe some interesting new background, but if you didn't hear about it until then, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

The Economist (on the other hand) still manages to have good, informative articles. Even though they are neocons, for the most part.

So, anyone winning that Time award today is like the current Playmate this month- Who cares???????????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: