Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criminal charges against English teacher in Itaewon.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kepler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma's father seems determined to silence anyone who can tell the truth about what happened that night. The Korea Observer article with all its quotes from witnesses has been retracted.

Quote:
The Korea Observer would like to issue an official apology over its article published on Dec. 20 over the death of a Korean man identified as Ma.

We published the story on the firm belief that giving accurate information on the controversial case serves the public’s interest.

We, however, have decided to suspend the article as the accuracy of the information has been challenged and some questions have been raised over the statements of the witnesses that The Korea Observer interviewed.

The Korea Observer will continue to make its efforts to shed light in the unfortunate case and prepare for a follow-up article to help our readers better understand of the contentious case.

We’d like to express our deepest apologies to the grieved family members.

http://www.koreaobserver.com/korean-groper-dies-from-americans-fist-24979

Last edited by Kepler on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
saram_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stories I have seen from the father of the deceased as well as one of the female witnesses on the night appearing on Korean blogs etc are far removed from the accounts by the foreign guy here.
First of all, they cannot for the life of them understand how there can be a page set up asking for donations when at the end of the day a son and friend is dead.

Also, Mr Frye continued drinking the following day and never seemed to show any remorse. These factors in themselves pushed the anger levels up you can be betting. As though he is the victim here.

Anyway, all this is irrelevant. Mr Frye is going to feel the full force of fhe Korean law pretty soon and all the evidence I have seen from witnesses including Mr Frye indicate he is going to get a quite severe punishment no matter what.

They should close down that bar too while they are at it.
It is just a cesspool and something like this was to bound to happen there sooner or later. No winners here. Thats all I know.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends to whom they were reported and why.

Truth isn't a defence by itself, truth and public interest is.

If you found out your boss is doing something illegal, you could tell a coworker to inform them. They have an interest in knowing that. They might want to make an informed decision about working there, etc.

If you put up signs and stapled them all over the neighbourhood..no..

if it's truly illegal it should be reported and let the authorities deal with it.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
"All these violent crimes in Korea and abroad against Korean women is disturbing me. Foreign men are manipulating Korean women, raping and abusing them."

That's rich considering Korean women are by far the most trafficked, bought and sold of any women from a developed country, and it's mostly Korean men buying and selling them. Some of these guys are notorious for paying an x number of won or dollars to rape some sex slave in Seoul or some Koreatown somewhere and then blaming their behavior on "the Jews" or a Japanese empire that hasn't existed since the Japanese surrendered at Seoul City Hall to American soldiers in 1945 while these Korean Sentry guys' grandfathers were too busy kissing Japanese ass.
Kepler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the impression by reading some threads on that site that they have this archaic view about Korean women being property: Korean men are entitled to do what they want with "their" women. Foreign men, on the other hand, don't have such ownership rights.
Jodami

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on Mr. Frye's situation?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... still bad?
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A glimpse into his life during the past three months:

Quote:
An inmate in this facility is allowed one ten minute visit with up to three visitors per day. The room was like a small norebang, with two chairs and a glass partition separating us from Jeremy. There was a speaker box at the base of the window with a timer that began ticking down from 10 as soon as we entered the room.

Considering the circumstances, Jeremy seemed to be in reasonably good spirits. He talked about the status of his case for awhile. Still no trial date, but he took that as a positive sign that the prosecutors have still not been able to build a viable case. Still, he was frustrated that he was being held pending trial at all, stating that he was only locked up because he was a foreigner. He seemed confident in his attorney and felt like he could prove that he was not the proximate cause of the victim’s demise. I’m not sure how viable his theory of the case will be, but I don’t reckon I ought to be discussing that in this public forum anyway.

Jeremy apologized to Lonnie for being unable to fulfill his duties as the dart league secretary, asked Chad about some items he’d like retrieved from his former employer, and told me he was sorry he’d been unable to keep our scheduled meet-up when I returned to Korea (he was arrested the night before). I told him I hoped the fiction books would help him “escape” some from the boredom of prison life, and he seemed excited about the crossword puzzles as he feared his mind was turning to mush. Chad noted that he’d lost some weight and he said he’d started exercising. And that pretty much took up the allotted ten minutes of our visit. So, we said our goodbyes, did some fist bumps against the glass, and three of the four of us exited the prison.

Anyway, I guess he’s handling it all as well as can be expected. But it is still a nightmarish situation in which to find oneself. The facility was modern, clean and well-lighted (at least the parts we saw) so in the category of “it could always be worse” I suppose a first world jail is better than the hellholes you see on shows like Locked Up Abroad. I can selfishly attest that when I start feeling sorry for myself, I think of Jeremy and am reminded that my problems are relatively meaningless.

http://mccrarey.com/a-visit-with-jeremy/
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:

Either way, does the actual truth of an allegation have any bearing on the punishment? It seems to have a lesser punishment but is still punishable.

K legal system is more concerned with protecting social order than discovering the objective truth. They immediately focus on a political resolution to any situation.

That's the way Korean logic works.

I've noticed this pattern over and over in my interactions with Koreans.

Given that korea is much less violent than the west, maybe their system has some merit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: