Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do Korean health insurance premiums change?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Why do Korean health insurance premiums change? Reply with quote

I normally pay about 119,000 won a month in health insurance for both my foreign wife and myself. Two weeks ago she had some (minor) surgery. This month my premium jumped to 219,000 won. Is this because she had the surgery?

There have been years where I've actually got money back, albeit a small amount. I have never, nor my work colleagues for that matter, been able to figure out how premiums are actually applied.

Can anyone tell me if the premiums you pay each month are determined by the amount of health services you claim?

Regards!
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Why do Korean health insurance premiums change? Reply with quote

Wad wrote:
I normally pay about 119,000 won a month in health insurance for both my foreign wife and myself. Two weeks ago she had some (minor) surgery. This month my premium jumped to 219,000 won. Is this because she had the surgery?

There have been years where I've actually got money back, albeit a small amount. I have never, nor my work colleagues for that matter, been able to figure out how premiums are actually applied.

Can anyone tell me if the premiums you pay each month are determined by the amount of health services you claim?

Regards!

My wife and I saw our combined health insurance increase about 100,000 won per month last month. She said it was due to the value of where we live now being higher than the value of where we previously lived. My understanding is that it goes up whether owning or renting.

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question.
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is based upon your net worth. Did you recently acquire something pricy?
Wad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongotruck wrote:

If anything my income has dropped considerably (30%) this semester.

I guess what I am wondering is whether or not a trip to the doctor for surgery might up the premium for the month?
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wad wrote:
Bongotruck wrote:

If anything my income has dropped considerably (30%) this semester.

I guess what I am wondering is whether or not a trip to the doctor for surgery might up the premium for the month?

Your income could have dropped but your net worth could have gone up.

I just asked my wife about trips to the doctor upping the premium. She said that doesn't cause the premium to go up as far as she knows.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is based on your net worth. The Health authority knows property you/spouse own, cars you/spouse own, if a company is registered in your/spouse name.

Also if you have a child it will go up.

I read in the newspaper they were thinking of somehow knowing the deposit of a place you are renting. I am not sure if they do that or not. As some people didn't buy, but had huge Jeonsae deposits.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
It is based on your net worth. The Health authority knows property you/spouse own, cars you/spouse own, if a company is registered in your/spouse name.

I read in the newspaper they were thinking of somehow knowing the deposit of a place you are renting. I am not sure if they do that or not. As some people didn't buy, but had huge Jeonsae deposits.

My spouse and I own a place, and rent a place with a large deposit. Both of these affect our health insurance premium. It's simply another tax, or at least an increased rate on income and net worth. It's sort of like a pre-estate tax.
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Communism at its finest.

wooden nickels wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

My spouse and I own a place, and rent a place with a large deposit. Both of these affect our health insurance premium. It's simply another tax, or at least an increased rate on income and net worth. It's sort of like a pre-estate tax.
giraffe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.. alot of it has to do with net worth. ie: the more you own ( land , cars , apts Etc..) the more you will pay in health insurance....

It also goes with your salary... So if you're making less this year they will Recalculate your health premium for next year... It will change again next year..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: